1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taiyo Yuden and longevity

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by humvy, Feb 17, 2003.

1. humvy

humvy Member

I've seen from numerous sources on the net that Taiyo Yuden produce the best CDRs there are.

My primary concern is however, not how many coasters I produce but how long the media lasts. I know that this is a difficult variable to measure accurately, for archiving it is crucial.

What I don't understand is why Taiyo Yuden have such a good reputation.
    They use cyanine dye which is the oldest dye and reacts to light fastest.
    Their CDRs are deep blue which suggests they are using silver rather than gold, which would give a deep green colour. Granted silver is more reflective but gold is unreactive.
    They don't have "buff" (?) which I can only assume is a protective layer of some sort.

Can anyone explain this to me?
    Or even better suggest a CDR manufacturer on the basis of longevity?

Many thanks for your time

2. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

I have to admit to being out of my element when it comes to dye knowledge.

TY's are known to be compatible with many burners, and they burn faster than their rated speeds generally well. Generally, they also last longer than other media.

The other big manufacturer is Kodak. Certain parts of the world like Canada no longer receive Kodaks, so I have to buy whatever is stockpiled.

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

It's no suprise that you can't see Kodak on the shelves as they are out of CD-R business.

4. EF9

EF9 Member

My taiyo yuden disk(1 burnt disk i noticed) grew some type of fungus on it. i havent noticed any another Taiyo Yudens with the fungus but if i do i will let you guys know. I like the GQ cdrs from Fry's. Havent had any problems with burning,compatibility,and fungus. they cost from $7-10 for a 50 pack spindle.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2003
  5. duronboy

duronboy Guest

I've found that putting the discs in a binder that seals them away from sunlight helps them to last longer. Another thing I do now to make my discs last longer is use an LG recorder. My Yamaha is good as well. I found that when I used a Lite-On recorder, the burn quality was bad to begin with, and got worse over time. Discs that I burned a year ago with a Lite-On are barely readable today.

6. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

The ultra violet radiation of sunlight is possibly the worst that can happen to a CD-R. Always store your CDs in cases/wallets/etc. and away from direct sunlight.