1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Takes almost a minute to open 'My Computer' from desktop

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by Javafriek, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Javafriek

Javafriek Guest

I haven't noticed any topics on this issue but have been having this problem for a couple weeks now. Nothing really major but it's still annoying, when I click on the Desktop Icon 'My Computer' it takes close to a minute for it to pop up.

I've defraged a couple times since then and ran the latest update of Trend Micro PC-Cillin to check for viruses. I tried updating to Service Pack 2 and had to run system restore to go back to before the service pack upgrade because of some more critical issues i was running into.

I'm still running into the same problem so if anyone has any ideas or has heard of this your comments will be appreciated.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Spyware? did you dump all of that?

3. DeSma

DeSma Member

I had that problem when i installed MAcafee but it usually went on for at least 1 week then my Pc was starting alot faster

4. Javafriek

Javafriek Guest

Yes I've dumped spyware, I have Spybot Search & Destroy and also use the spyware cleaner in PC-Cillin. I'm at a loss here. It's went on for much longer than a week. Like I said earlier nothing else runs slower, everything seems fine, it's just when i try to access my c: from 'My Computer' icon that it lags quite a bit.

5. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Do this. Shut down the computer...then reboot. As soon as you get to the the desktop dont do anything. Make sure nothing is running in the corner. Then open task manager. ctrl+alt+del

Watch task manger for a while under processes and see if the cpu usuage is abnormaly high. There should be no cpu usuage at all on the desktop escpicially if you have no programs running in the background. If it high...then ya most likely have a virus. The best way from there is to download avast...which is free. Then schedule a boot scan. A boot scan will run before windows fire up and find most viruses cause they will still be sleeping. Easier to find this way. I just did it and found four hiding in sytem restore. Avast is the best and free. Only thing is you have to register or it will expire after 60 days. Also avast is good at running in the background. It will tell you when ya click a link...if there is a virus attached. And ask if ya want to abort connection. Plus it does find trojans, back door, and some spyware.

Hope this helps

6. Javafriek

Javafriek Guest

Thanks ozzy I'll d/l avast and get back with you on here to let you know if it helped.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

8. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Your very welcome java. Just passing along knowledge I found posted by a guy that works on computers commercial. Dont also forget to to run a spyware check too. Cause avast doesnt find all spyware only some.

Best one I found was etrust pest patrol. Hey bud let me know if it helps.

Also I can suggest one other thing. Get supercleaner. It works great at cleaning out ya harddrive which will speed it up. One day I found almost 5 gigs of temp and backup files that wasnt needed. Which is a lot considering I have only a 75 gig harddrive..lol

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

10. WelshBoa

WelshBoa Regular member

That programme is great.... cleared 888MB of stuff not to mention the errors it found in registry

11. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

i've used ccleaner for years, its one of the greatest programs i've come across...
    others i use are:
    >RegistryFix
    >TuneUp Utilities
    try em, buy em, its all up to you...

12. neilm247

neilm247 Regular member

i'm not quite sure what you meant about the service pack II being installed onto the computer but... i gave my friend the huge service pack II installer to update his computer (his connection is 56k but really runs @8k hehe), and he encountered the same problems about the speed of his computer.
    He mentioned specifically how it took him near 1 min to open "my computer"(freaky). He has 2.6ghz and 256ram.
    As well as the slowness he also noticed that very few programs would open. He uninstalled the service pack II and everything was as right as rain but it has left me wondering...

13. Javafriek

Javafriek Guest

Yeah it's left me wondering too Neilm. I've downloaded and ran the avast anti-virus and currently have it running in the background (real nice program) it found several things on my computer during it's boot-scan that 'Pc-Cillin' didn't find but still i'm having the same problem opening 'My Computer'.

I've ran a search on google and it seems a few others are having this same problem. I'm not having problems opening programs, everything runs as it should only c: problem. I'll try the ccleaner next..thanks guys.

14. Javafriek

Javafriek Guest

Whoa! Big problem, after using ccleaner for the first time my firefox isn't loading most page graphics..all of the websites look different in page layout and some of the graphics aren't loading. Afterdawn looks extremely different (ugly) and can't figure out how to get it back to normal.

15. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I had the same problem,I ran it again, and it straightened it out.

16. Javafriek

Javafriek Guest

Thanks Jim, that straigtened it out.

17. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Your welcome,glad you got that problem sorted out.

18. berty642

berty642 Regular member

Hi
    I had the same problem with my computer taking a long time to open, the problem turned out to be DR WATSON POST MORTOM DEBUGGER it was leaving massive log files some as big as 7 gig. Mighten be your problem at all but its worth doing a serach for large files on your h/d

19. neilm247

neilm247 Regular member

bert is on the button!, that is another thing my friend said about the computer when he ctrl+alt+deleted, "DR WATSON POST MORTOM DEBUGGER" came up on his computer and was hogging resources. I forgot to mention that before but that is definitely a symptom. Still I am not sure what to do as the debugger disappears after a while and leaves the comp in chassis.
    Berty how did you solve your problem?

20. berty642

berty642 Regular member

Hi
    I removed Dr Watson you can find how to do it here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188296
    Thanks to Xian for giving me the link. It definately cured my problem, seems to be a typical M$ problem. Also Type in the run box 'drwtsn32' and see if there are any application errors reported on it and what size the files are, let me know how you get on

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005