1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking Lives - cannot back up using any progs tried

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by inzane007, Sep 4, 2004.

1. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

DOAB,

I quite understand that for your particular movie you're fine with your result HOWEVER, for future reference, I thought you might like to know how to do it correctly. Not every DVD will have its bad files at the end of the movie, in the credits.

For future reference, you might like to know that there is a world of difference between the original DVD (the files being "Pressed" into the disc) and the copy you're making (the files being burned onto the disc) and those errors you don't care about may very well cause to care very much when the copy doesn't play.

And then again, maybe all your future discs will have their errors at the end in the credits and you won't care about the fact that the copies won't play. Terribly sorry that I wasted your time by providing too much useless information -

Cheers,

Pete

2. DOAB

DOAB Member

Was that sarcasm or more useless information? I couldn't tell.
    For the record, I didn't do anything wrong. If there are errors on the source disc, (not dust, scratches, or whatever) then no amount of retrying in the world is going to get past those errors. Sure, you could take the disc back and get another one... oh wait... I did that and the second one did the SAME THING. All I'm saying is on this movie, go ahead and retry to your heart's content... then ignore the read errors. It'll be fine. The disc plays flawlessly and that's all that matters.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

DOAB,

What I wrote wasn't sarcasm but what you wrote, that was - What IS your problem ?

I noticed you started out with an attitude, you might want to lose it - when you begin looking for trouble, you may find it -
    And for the record, I'm not required to put up with your sarcasm !

Of course not, you're a freakin God (at least in your own mind) who knows everything there is to know.
    Why you bothered to post a question in the first place when you're so perfect, I have no idea -

Once again, you're wrong BUT with your your attitude - why bother to explain -

As for a comment about Newbies -

You give the the majority a bad name -

4. adub22

adub22 Member

ahaah tell'm pete, thanks for your help man,

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

adub22

Thanks my friend for your support -

As you see, when someone asks me for help I have a hard taking crap from them as a thank you - Well it's under the bridge, we'll let it lie -

As for you, now that you're doing well, that doesn't mean it's time for you to leave - this is a give and take kind of deal - we had fun with you, now you get to have some fun yourself :)

It's people like you who make this site work - You've seen how we work and, you see we had fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and a chance to learn some more, (teaching is a learning experience too you know) the people you help will appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you can "Welcome" them into our little Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're not having problems to solve -

You'll find us hanging out, over there by the water cooler under the potted palm, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be looking for you -

Cheers, and thanks again :)

Pete

6. DOAB

DOAB Member

If anyone has a god complex here it's you 'oh wise one'. People come here looking for help with their problems, as a last resort, mind you, and you act like all the answers are somewhere beteen the chair and the keyboard. Somebody comes in here saying they can't copy a specific title and you feel the need to chime in with your "Ha... silly little newbie... doing it all wrong..." attitude.

Have you even tried to copy the disc in question? No? Alright then. Move on the next thread. You're pretty ballsy to tell me the way I did it is wrong when your way doesn't even work. Go get the disk, and after you've gotten the same read error on the exact same sector twenty or thirty times, I'll be more than happy to hear what you have to say. But until then...

Ciao!

DeathOnABun

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Actually I have backed it up BUT don't believe me, Nephilim has a list of DVD's I've backed up just as of Jan. 1st of this year. Please, PLEASE PM him and see if I speak of what I know -

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions - you may land on the wrong lily pad -

Cheers,

Pete

8. michigan

michigan Guest

I backed it up without a problem using Shrink/Nero. Just my .02

9. Cappy

Cappy Member

Steps for making an easy backup of Taking Lives:

1) Go to the ATM
    2) Take out $20
    3) Go to your favorite electronics store and buy another copy
    4) Take a chill pill and don't flame me as I'm just messing with you all. :-D

Actually, I would rachet down the reading speed to the lowest that it can go as well set the reread on errors # of tries to like 15 or 20 (tries).

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Wiser words Cappy,

Welcome to aD -

Didn't like being told I didn't do something I done did -

am taking a pill -

(I knew I had them around here somewhere)

Feel like my own self already :p)

Huuuuummm, May I suggest you wash them thar pills down with some Jack Daniels ?

Yep, defiantly feels somewhat's better -

11. rycher007

rycher007 Member

These are the steps to back up Taking Lives.
    1. Get DVD-Decrypter, DVD Shrink and Nero.
    2. Rip using DVD Decrypter in file mode. Click 'Ignore' when it stops at 79% with an error.
    3. Use DVD shrink to fit movie onto a 4.7gb dvd.
    4. Use Nero, choose DVD Video.. then copy the video_ts contents into the video_ts project window.
    5. Delete the audio_ts folder.
    6. Burn to dvd+-r
    7. Try it in standalone dvd player

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there rycher007,

That's a pretty good answer but I hope you don't mind a few additions -

On # 2. When and if you hit a "snag" click "Retry". You may have to do it many, many times, maybe only once or twice BUT in the end, you'll have an error free backup SO if you need another copy that will also be error free :)

I personally would try DVD Shrink first, IF that didn't work THEN you may opt to use DVD Decrypter.

Next, if used properly, adjusting settings like -

Step 1. In DVD Decrypter, go to "Tools", "Settings", and then whatever you're using either the File Mode tab OR the ISO Read Mode tab and "tick" "Remove PUO's" - try either the IFO, BUP, PUO's OR the VOB PUO's

Step 2. In DVD Decrypter, go to "Tools", "Settings", General tab, on the bottom left it will say "Removal Method" choose "Aggressive".

Step 3. in DVD Decrypter, go to "Tools", "Settings" then choose the CSS tab, under CSS Cracking Method, mark the spot that says "Brute Force -> I/O Exchange".

These "adjustments to DVD Decrypter should "Crack" just about anything out there today.

You might wish to also try SmartRipper if using DVD Decrypter doesn't work through it's settings.

It's always better to get a clean rip rather than have a backup with built-in errors :)

If you don't wish to pay the $50.00 (USD) or so to buy Nero you could use DVD Decrypter to Write in the ISO Mode.

Cheers,

Pete