1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Target Size Exceeded even with 'Automatic compression'!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Norm9, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Hi all,

Im tryin to make a backup of Genesis:The Way We Walk-The Concert Pt2

Here is what it says in DVD SHRINK: (im includin all the detail-just to make sure,)

Automatic compression: (Green)=4464 (Red)=4761 [50.7%]
    No compression: (Green)=4464 (Red)=7698

Audio
    1) AC3-2ch unspecified 320MB= Exras audio
    2) AC3-5ch unspecified 743MB= Main audio
    3) AC3-2ch unspecified 159MB= Menu audio

I took out the smallest audio, but wasnt enough, so took out which i found out later was the Extras audio to my surprise!

Has anyone got any ideas on how i can achieve the impossible?

Thanks for any help!

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Go ahead and backup the concert to 4761, then when the process is finished run the new (4761) file through DVD Shrink a second time. Make sure to use Deep Analysis and the AEC controls on the first go round.

3. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

It wont let me back it up-hence the title, until I took out the smallest audio, but still had to take out the 2nd audio til the red part turned green.
    But thats as far as i go on my knowledge about DVD SHRINK, if there is a way around that i'd gladly like to hear it.

Locoeng: as the first disc was ok, as i done that similar procedure on it, as i dont think there was that much extra on it.

Thanks

4. Starrift

Starrift Regular member

you could try backing it up as a hard drive folder then running it through VOB Blanker. i had this same problem with howls moving castle and i ran it through VOB blanker and t got rid of some of the fake vobs tat were making the file too big.

5. LOCOENG

So what is the error message you get when you hit backup with the size bar still showing red?

6. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

It said you've exceeded the target size, click yes/no, so i clicked yes to burn it to a harddrive folder. Its just that i hadnt come across that stage yet & what put me off was it said "it might not burn successfully"
    But i went ahead & the Automatic compression is set to 2,750MB - 91.4%

So from The Land of Confusion-> Turn It on Again (this mornin) as i certainly wasnt goin to Throw(ing) it all Away (sorry for the song titles!)

The problem i'd have now (maybe this would be better in another thread in somewhere else-you can tell me if has to be)

Burning it to disc_-> I tried to burn Red Dwarf 5 Disc 2 to disc the previous day with Nero Express 6->Dvd-Video files, Burn speed 4x, it only reached 54%.

Now i dont know whether it was due to Nero or the PC as it looked like it froze & i had to pull the cable out & in as CTRL+ALT+DEL wouldnt work?

As the pc has been actin weird lately, checkin out & playin Genesis on DVD SHRINK, (after compression today) monitor usually goes into standby mode (twice) after a few mins, the monitor wouldnt come on the third time, check out mouse-clean it out, nothing-had to push the on/off on pc.

Is it just a case of normally restartin the pc?
    just in case: here are the specs.
    Windows XP version 5.1 SP2,
    PC - 93.1GB, FREE SPACE 28.2GB
    Is that linked to the burns failed?

Apologies if this is long-winded?
    & thanks for the help so-far!

7. LOCOENG

Could be a heat issue as all this encoding is very CPU intesive. Open your case and blow out all the dust bunnies and make sure that all the fans are working. Might also want to point a fan directly at the case while encoding and see if that alleviates your problems.

Just for clarification...the first time 'round worked to HDD and then you were able to compress the new file and burn to disc?

You can turn off this feature you know...I find it annoying really and don't use it. Right click on any free space your desktop and go to Properties -> Screen Saver tab...in the "Wait" value box type in or select zero..Apply -> OK done.

8. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

That was the 1st time, even with Automatic compression set, the red bar indicating too much! but takin Starrift's advice on 'backing it up as a hard drive folder' i went ahead & done that, but disabled Nero in the preferences as normally i use DVD FAB & then DVD SHRINK from then on to backup, analyse,etc.

So Locoeng i took your advice as well by running the new file through Shrink again for burning, & thank god it was a successful burn

So thanks to the both of you's for your help!

You can turn off this feature you know...I find it annoying really and don't use it. Right click on any free space your desktop and go to Properties -> Screen Saver tab...in the "Wait" value box type in or select zero..Apply -> OK done.[/quote]

Yeah i know you can do that, i was watchin the visual effects on the Genesis concert through Shrink. It was just one of my rants on certain things that happen for some strange reason as i like to think im fairly familiar with pc's, its when it all happens in the one day !!
    heh, ya gotta laugh, but maybe not yet-give it a few days!

Until then.