1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tcl tv with roku

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rtrg, Oct 22, 2019.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

RTRG here again with some changes to run external powered speakers and headphones at the same time. now that the tv is here, I found out that the audio out port is useless in practical terms. it is NOT capable of driving powered speakers or headphones with or without a headphone amp. even a 20 watt amp and passive speakers do NOT work. the volume is at max which produces a weak sound.

I moved the connections to the INPUT side. the audio comes from my desktop computer connected to the one A/V port. a "Y" is used at that port. one is used for the desktop input audio and the other one serves as the input for a headphone amp. the amp has volume and power switch. the internal speakers can be muted with the remote. this allows one or both to be used together or separately. much better solution.

2. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

one last time and one more change. added a 3 port "Y" to the input side. port 1 receives my desktop audio, port 2 serves as the headphone amp input, port 3 drives two powered speakers, each with a volume knob. use a single psu for the amp, and a second psu with dual coax ports to power the speaker amps. the internal speakers are muted, using the externals instead. the headphone amp is independent of the speakers and both can be used together or separately. the internal speakers are very tinny, not an acceptable sound. my previous tv had much better sound plus the a/v out port was independent of the speakers. both ports could be turned on/off.this is missing from this set. but my solution works as expected.

3. aldan

aldan Active member

ya coulda bought a home theatre in a box cheaper than that.remember the kiss rule?