1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDK or SONY?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by whizbang, Jun 6, 2004.

1. whizbang

whizbang Guest

I have the TDK Indi 4/4x external.. wondering if I should trade it in on the Sony 8/4x external ? any comments would be appreciated thnx guys n gals

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Simply because of the speed rating (and if it costed me nothing), I'd trade it in for the faster drive (but still burn at the lower speed because, if the other drive can write at a higher speed, odds are it is more stable at a lower speed).

Of course I wouldnt ever really reccommend a sony product so i guess i cant really say -- if you see yourself burning at 8x a lot then by all means switch it but if not, dont. :)

3. whizbang

whizbang Guest

well, I went ahead and traded for the sony. Because once I went over to best buy and looked at the box there is a free firmware upgrade to 8x with dvd-r so now it's dvd -r and +r at 8x so I figured it was a good deal. I'm guessin that this sony isn't like the plextor and able to burn 8x on 4x media. Am I wrong?

4. Praetor

1. Sony by far is nowhere near Plextor.
    2. I typically dont reccomend sony because their performance doesnt meet the price tag and in a lot of cases (not neccesarily with burners but their other products) -- leaves a LOT to be desired

:)

5. whizbang

whizbang Guest

wow sounds like you've had a bad experience with sony. I, on the other hand, have only had great experiences with sony products. I have a sony vaio laptop, sony camcorder, a sony stereo receiver, and a sony camera none of which has ever given me any ounce of problem. I always point people toward sony based on my experience. But this is the first sony burner I've ever had so you may be right in which case I believe I may take Best Buy up on their extended warranty for three years for $45. Might be a smart move eh?

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Unless you're like me and will want a new burner after a year :)

7. Praetor

Not specifically but my hatred for Sony came about a few years back (hehe I hold corporate grudges) when they 21" CRTs were hitting the market -- I would look at the specs and price of the flagship Sony CRT and then at the "underdog" Samsung CRT -- the Samsung was far superior in all respects and cost about 40% less than the Sony. Like I know you're paying for the "sony name" but geez enough is friggen enough .... now if you wanna talk bad experiences .... i've bought 4 ATi cards in my life ... 3 of those times I opened the box and I didnt get the card I bought ... that's a bad experience -- one thankfully I wont ever have to go through again.

8. whizbang

whizbang Guest

Nephilim.. you're probably right I will want a new one in a year. I'm now on my 3rd burner in two weeks time.. the first was the sony 530 internal for the desktop found out the desktop is too old to be backing up dvds (530mhz, 10gig harddrive) so I took that back and got the TDK indi 4/4 external for the laptop.. didn't like how it sounded, probably a great burner but made alot of noise like when the tray opened and stuff.. traded it in on the sony 530ul external 8/8x.. so far I like this one the best.. but next year the 40x burners will probably come out hehehe.. and I'll just gotta have one of those even though the media will be $20

9. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I have the TDK 840G, which on RPC1.com says its an OEM Plextor.

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Can't beat that! ^^^^^

11. siber

siber Regular member

Praetor: What are the advantages of the Plextor burners? You objected to the SONY cost factor. Plextor has an even higher cost than Sony. If Liteon, NEC, TDK, Samsung, Pioneer make burners that are reliable, don't break down much at all, if they give good tech support, result in good burns...why spend the extra money for a Plextor but not for a Sony? Just a question. I'm not sure I am convinced by the SONY/SAMSUNG CRT exemple.

12. Praetor

siber :

With Sony drives, the prices are high AND the drives are crappy (IMO) .... a couple people who's opinion I respect seem to like Sony a lot (well certain models at least) which is why I might have reccommended them in another post but that was entirely to save him the trouble of posting a "plus" for Sony. In all honesty, most drvies are OK but certainly not worth the price.

Now with Plexies, they have a stratospheric price tag however they are well worth the cost. In the past when Plextor drives were proprietory in a bad way (i.e., like IBM in the days of old) I didnt like them for that fact. But Plex' has done a lot of good stuff and now, although they are still proprietory, it's in a good way (i.e, the golden standard). I will say however, if you are buying a DVD burner simply for the purposes of burning DVDs and not for burning CDs (either that or you have a 2-sheep cd burner), then DONT buy a Plextor because of its cost and the fact that you probably wont be using those features. Now if you want to be able to do proper cd backups with your DVD burner (and/or you dont have a 2-sheep cd burner) and feel like spending a fortune, go for it! It's a solid drive -- wont let you down

13. siber

siber Regular member

Preator, thanks for that explanation. I haven't had any problems with my 2 SONY DVD+/-R/RW drives but I see your point. Good to know about the Plextors too.