1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech "support" by Dell, Microsoft, etc.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Bsnights, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Bsnights

Bsnights Guest

Is there anyone out there who can no longer afford their computer? I personally am NOT a geek. Every time I turn around, my computer is making me scream. Now, if I want help I have to pay a fortune. Soooooo, I can no longer afford my favorite toy. Yes I am here today, but will it work tomarrow? Could be karma, could be just my stupidity. Either way, it seems that unless I shell out big bucks, my computer is doomed to be slow and ineffectual if it even works at all. There are others who offer "tech" support, but how do I know that they are not a security risk as well as a money scam?

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

You're posting at one of the biggest tech forums on the web, so why not ask here? You may even learn something on the way.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what do you want to know?

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Bsnights, we are tech support and were not from India lol. so whats the problem

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Actually, creaky is part Indian ;-)

Heheh. Anyway, what's up?

6. Bsnights

Bsnights Guest

Thanks guys and gals, First off you'll note that I am a very ignorant user, my apologizies, but to learn is my goal. Right this minute, the thing that is bugging me is Yahoo Desktop Search. It won't stop running even after I have "unstalled" it. I don't want it. Now I have other issues but let's take this one thing at a time. I hope your wearing patience hats and if I'm too ignorant for you to deal with, just let me know cause I will understand.

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

lol ok first did you uninstall the program/tool bar in add and remove programs? uninstall it there

then go to My Computer click the icon go to Program Files find the yahoo folder a delete that.

then run CCleaner and reboot. you can download CCleaner here

http://100-downloads.com/

8. Bsnights

Bsnights Guest

Thanks aabbccdd, So ok. I reunstalled the blessed thing, cause it was there again. However, when I went to My Computor I could find nothing that said program files. It just listed my hardware. Looked in a folder that was there and found nothing. Second, what is this CCleaner? Is it reusable? As in evertime I try to truly get rid of something this is the answer? And if so where will it be located in this morass of info I slug through? p.s. hold onto that hat

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

when you go to My Computer double click the C drive then you will get a screen with folders in it double click Programs Files that will open to a bunch of folders find the Yahoo Folder and delete it. make sure you uninstall it first in add and remove programs.

CCleaner is a Registry cleaner so download that and you will have the program on your desktop so you can run it from there

10. Bsnights

Bsnights Guest

aabbccdd How's that hat? I did uninstall in programs. Followed your directions and found the folder still there however there is no "delete" buttom or prompt. When I click on the program it tells me it is not properly installed. Like duh. So how do I addionally delete from there? Actually I found another program in this same place that I thought was eliminated sooo. This will do double duty once I get the hang of it.

11. Bsnights

Bsnights Guest

Hey got got it. It's a right click thing. Yeah! Guess we'll move on to the next problem. Ha Ha. Let me download tha CCleaner now.

12. Bsnights

Bsnights Guest

Hello checked the site and found three. This should be great advertisement for them. But it's a "I have been burned before situation". Got any preferences? xp-repair.net, Fix-My-PC.org, paratologic.com. Oh and an interesting thing called CleanCache by buttuglysoftware.com. Actually, on name alone, I appreciate the buttugly.

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

aabbccdd, ccleaner also does disk cleanup

15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes your right ddp duh me lol,so go ahead and just defrag after you run CCleaner

16. Bsnights

Bsnights Guest

Ok will do Have downloaded and will follow your instructions I'll let you know thanks again

17. Bsnights

Bsnights Guest

Well, well, did them all and they all seemed to have a good time doing whatever it was that made them happy. Now it seems to a good extent so am I. And to give you guys a break and a chance to go clean off your hats, I'll wait before I attempt anymore like "Where did my pictures really go?" later. See why can't the dummies in the big $$$$$ places make it as simple as you have? Talk about duh. Oh yeah, they can't make the big bucks that way. So having mentioned hats, mine is off to you folks. You are most gracious and generous. Until later. Take care.

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Bsnights, remember to keep that PC clean. that will help alot of problems. i never let anything yahoo on my machine lol.

also vist this forum ....Windows - Virus and spyware problems and read

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/166

running a good Anti-Virus and Spyware program is a must

your pictures should be in My Pictures or My Doucments unless you moved them

19. Bsnights

Bsnights Guest

Hey thanks but it ended up being one of Dell's cheap motherboards. Sooooo. Bought a new computer. Asus 3800+ X2 Dual Core MB AM2, 1Gig DDR2 667MHZ memory, Seagate 80GB SATA HD 7200Rpm, and a Lite On DVD=/-RW Burner. How'd I do? Now the lessons can continue on how to use all this power. Naaa Naaa No more Dell.

20. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah smart move i am no fan of the box systems .heres my machine

Antec Nine Hundred Mid-Tower Gaming Case/Thermaltake 750-Watt PS/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB Socket 939/ Seagate160GB Barracuda/ Westeren Digital Raptor 150 GB Sata/NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2,1 GB of GDDR3 Memory / CORSAIR XMS 2GB DDR SDRAM (PC 3500)/AMD Opteron 185 Dual Core CPU OC(ed) to 2.87 GHz/Zalman CNPS-9500 LED Cooler/2-Plextor PX-716A Drives/Lite-On SHW-160P6S/View Sonic-VX2245wm 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 res. 5ms Respone Time