1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

technical discussion - ISO

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by tech101, Mar 9, 2005.

1. tech101

tech101 Member

Hi there! I hope you are well :)
    I am new to these forums and i hope i can recieve help as much as give help to those who need it. I do apologise if i posted this thread in the wrong forum - forgive me in advanced :)

I would like to know, how is an ISO file actually created? I am talking about low level deep stuff

You see, i am trying to create an application (for backup purposes) which at given dates/times backups certain directories.

I do not wish to use 3rd party tool to create an ISO for me, I want the application to create an ISO itself from the directories/files it needs to back up.

How exactly does the ISO format work? Does anyone know?

I greatly appreciate the help and tips :)

Thank-you!

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

The Iso Format is simply a way to represent an application on a CD-rom in such a fashion that it can be read by any operating system -- In the 80' the industry realized that there was a need to establish the exchange of information between different O/S (( Apple Prodos, Microsoft MS-Dos , Unix-Linux , etc..)) on Cd-Rom in a way that it would be read by all. Nowadays the iso format is often referred to as an image file of a Cd-Rom ; meaning that the data has been stored following the rules of Iso 9660 and can be transferred to another Cd-Rom and read by any O/S.

-- You indicate that you do not want to use 3rd party software , so you can write your own ISO 9660 formatting software -- !

For this you will need to make yourself familiar with Iso Standard 9660 ~~ and be versatile in C Programming . You will have to handle the VOLUME DESCRIPTORS ,THE PATH TABLE ,DIRECTORIES ,FILE IDENTIFIERS ,FINDER FLAGS and the likes ... prepare yourself for many nights of head scratching ~~ Smiles.

Good Luck in your project.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2005
  3. tech101

tech101 Member

4. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Or just use Nero 6? lol