1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

temperature sky high

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by andy15, Dec 30, 2004.

1. andy15

andy15 Regular member

ok yesterday i had a game downloading of bearshare with nothing else open came back and relised every had closed so i thought it must have been a power probelm makeing itrestatrt to day i was doing some collage work on word and the thing reset it self no warning i tryed virus scan and spyware and adawre still nothing instaled mother board monitor and relised procesor temp was 6t5 with nothing runing case at 33 c checked all fans every thing fine tryed adding some thermal paste to proceser withing 20 minsof playing nhl 2005 it reset it came on mbm said cpu currently 70 c help please

p4 3.00ghz
    Abit sg72 mother board
    geforce 2 64mb graphics card
    512 mb ddr ram

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is heatsink seated properly on cpu as possibility 1 of 4 prongs attached to motherboard that helps lock heatsink in place is broken or popped out. happen to a friend of mine & the prong broke by itself & could see temp rise quickly in hardware monitor in the bios

3. andy15

andy15 Regular member

what are yhese prongs is it fixable

4. ddp

the prongs as i call them are the bracket(cpu retention clip) that is attached to the motherboard that surrounds the cpu socket. if a prong is broken, have to get a new one

5. andy15

andy15 Regular member

they are all ok could a virus make it over haet as i cant find anyjing wrong inside

6. ddp

i doubt very much but try antivirus program just in case. what is cpu fan speed in bios possibly in hardware monitor

7. andy15

andy15 Regular member

its changeing between 2766 2721

8. ddp

i'm running a p4 2.4 celeron, cpu temp 43c, system 32c, fan 2860-2909 rpm & that is stock heatsink/fan

9. andy15

andy15 Regular member

do u think i need new p4 heat sink how much do these cost about

10. andy15

andy15 Regular member

do u think i need new p4 heat sink how much do these cost about

11. ddp

i don't think it is the heatsink but might be fan tho. unclip the heatsink/fan from motherboard, check retention clip is ok than reseat heatsink/fan clamped down tight. repower system than check temp. post results

12. andy15

andy15 Regular member

chek that in 30 mins after tea is there a setting to speed up the fan. it was fine till yesterday all parts 3 months old

13. ddp

no setting if stock heatsink/fan that came with cpu. is computer a clone or a big name brand

14. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Your PC case must be engineered to completely exchange the air, ideally several times per minute.
    As you can imagine, there has been a great deal of attention paid to this recently, because of the enormous heat generated by new CPUs.
    Studies have shown that the traditional front casefan has little or no impact on CPU temps, however exhaust casefans would seem to be critically important.
    There is a new form factor coming, newer than ATX, that relocates the CPU within the case and attempts to restore the effectiveness of the cool-air front casefan.
    That said, 33C is not too bad, and so for you there is hope :)
    I would pay careful attention to the interior of your case, making sure that there is good airflow around the CPU and cooler, and ensuring exhaust routes are not obstructed by cabling or whatever.
    Get yourself some new, shielded round cables to replace the awful flat ribbon-type. These don't cost too much and will greatly improve airflow.
    Make sure your PS has at least two good fans; some power supplies are now available with three!
    If you have a place to mount a 120mm exhaust casefan but an 80mm has been installed there, pull it out and fit the proper size. A single 120mm will move 50CFM, quietly & easily.
    We haven't even gotten to your CPU yet!
    Get a nice big high-performance copper cooler, and mount it carefully using Arctic Silver compound.
    Studies have shown that the OEM cooler goes UP 5C from stock, when re-mounted with cheap compound.
    With Arctic Silver they may go down 5C (and that is a spread of 10C, which is substantial).
    An improved CPU cooler & fan, plus the silver compound of course, is what you need.
    I'll give you 10C for a carefully installed cooler upgrade, plus another 5C for detailing the case - that's 15C total, meaning the difference between 70C on your CPU versus 55C ;-)
    Heat is now the major limiting factor in the engineering of newer/faster CPUs - hence the upcoming new form factor...
    Regards

15. andy15

andy15 Regular member

i built it my self was fine toill yesterday did what u told me hears my reult cpu 64 c cpu fan speeed 2721

16. ddp

is heatsink fins clean of dust??

17. andy15

andy15 Regular member

yes no dust at all cpu temp also raisen to 70c

18. ddp

either there is a gap or partial gap between cpu & heatsink or fan is not working properly but shows correct rpm. can you try another psu to see if that might be causing the problem

19. andy15

andy15 Regular member

yes got spare if that dont work i will go to shop were i bought it frm and see wat they say

20. trenty2

trenty2 Guest

My house has no air-conditioning and is often hot, my pc doesnt have a thermal tank atm but im gunna get one im just wondering if my hdd is 47-52 degress is that too hot or is it fine?

cheers