1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TES Oblivion Graphics help

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by cremos, Apr 6, 2006.

1. tektite

tektite Member

Alright, well I think I've gotten Oblivion to work as well as I can make it work on my system with the Radeon 9250.

I'm about to get an Acer Aspire 5672WLMi notebook. It comes with a Radeon X1400 chip on the motherboard. It has a Centrino Duo processor and 2 Gigs of 667 Mhz RAM so the only thing I'm worried about is the Radeon.

I know that the X1400 is an inferior card to the ones in the same series, something about less bandwidth for some of the functionality like shading and lighting. Supposedly it gets only half of the 3DMark scores compared to it's lesser-numbered counterpart, the X700. But it still should be based off of the X600 chipset, which is a supported chipset.

My question is, does anybody know if I will have any problems running Oblivion with this new machine? The X1400 is mysteriously absent from the list of suported Radeon X series cards.

Oh, and before I get chewed out for bragging, I can't really afford this system, but I am getting it for too good of a deal to pass up the opportunity. I'm pretty much going broke for the next couple of months to buy it. :D

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  2. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

You will definately be able to run it, but not at good settings. I would estimate about 800 x 600 with medium to low settings.

Those laptops can also come with an x1600 which would be much better than the x1400. See how much an upgrade would be. Otherwise, if it is not an option, the game will be playable, just at lower settings.

Also, the x700 does better because the x1600 is the card that replaces it not the x1400.

3. handsom

handsom Regular member

Well; I installed the patch supplied by bethesda for the fx series. It looks much worse than the old shader libraries with oldblivion .11t did. I much preferred that way; but I am going to see if I can somehow use the two in conjunction; or if they just plane put in a horrible shader library for this series. It's just downright insultingly bad looking though. Especially considering that the little homebrew fix came out first and looks so much better.

Hopefully, one end will continue updating, to improve this more. But I really like what oldblivion .11 does for me thus far. A lot!

...And yes he asked for it, lol.

4. ccguy

ccguy Member

Okay, here's my issue. I really hope someone can read this and help me. I have installed and played Oblivion before. I needed the space on my drive, so I uninstalled it. When I installed it originally, I had an issue getting it to work right, it would freeze, after hiting "Yes" under "New Game". I eventually fixed it (though I have no idea how now.) I re-installed the game, and now I cannot figure out what the heck is wrong with it. I have the beta patch, I've tried numerous fixes and still cannot get it to work. I'm 90% sure that it's not my hardware, but I'll include those specs just to be sure.

perating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: VIA
    System Model: K8T800
    BIOS: BIOS Ver: D470K - R2.02
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Page File: 300MB used, 3637MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series (Omega 3.8.231)
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc. (Omega 3.8.231)
    Chip type: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700 AGP (0x4E50)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E50&SUBSYS_47011558&REV_00
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Generic Television
    Monitor Max Res: 640,480
    Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6601 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 2/21/2006 22:46:46, 256512 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: No
    WHQL Date Stamp: None
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 2/21/2006 22:46:25, 1505792 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-0D10-11CF-216F-0B67A1C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x1002
    Device ID: 0x4E50
    SubSys ID: 0x47011558
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Revision ID: 0x0000

-------------
    Sound Devices
    -------------
    Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_47011558&REV_50
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
    Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6070 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    Date and Size: 4/21/2006 11:16:44, 3964352 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    HW Accel Level: Full
    Cap Flags: 0xF5F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 8000, 192000
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 26, 25
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 26, 25
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: No
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
    Registry: OK

That's all from DXDIAG, since I was way too tired to enter it all. I e-mail Bethesda and they basically told me to update all my drivers, which they did need to be updated, but they weren't out of date enough for them to be the problem, and lo and behold, I was right. I use Omega Drivers, because the original video drivers on my laptop were really buggy. I e-mailed Bethesda back and told them that they didn't help me at all. Can anyone offer up any suggestions or solutions that might actually work?

Again, I apologize for the layout of all this. I just wanted to submit as much information as possible.

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  5. shimano2

shimano2 Guest

I bought a NVidia gfx 6200 it runs oblivion fine no probs It cost 56GBP I also got a free xfx game pad and a free copy of farcry in the box I don't know where you are but I got mine from Scan Computers bolton UK.there online too.

6. Xx1modxX

Xx1modxX Guest

ok im confused where is the game directory and i don't see anything on the disk called shaders. when i try to put the new .exe in it says you can't overwrite any files on this cd. where do i put them? and i don't see where i put the water

7. Abayarde

Abayarde Member

Hi everyone, first of all a big thank you to those who provided the fixes, I too had the white screen problem. Oldblivion worked for me, and I thought everything was lovely, until I realized that half the sound was missing in the game. I can hear my character grunt when he swings his sword and I can hear audio in cutscenes, but otherwise there are no sound effects or voices during gameplay. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

8. Jase_ace

Jase_ace Member

Hi Guys,

I tried to run this game on my computer but it was very slow. As someone else stated I too couldnt even get past character set up part as the fps was so low.

My pc spec is:

P4 3ghz cpu
    1024mb Ram
    Geforce FX5200 256mb

Im going to buy a new graphics card but cant decide between the ATI X600 Pro and the ATI X800 GT0. I will also try those patches when I get home from work.

9. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

@Jase_ace,

x600 will not run this game nicely. It is listed as supported, but I doubt it. The x800GTO is the card to go with out of the two.

I estimate with the x600 you will be forced to play at 640 x480 resolution with all details turned down and still get choppy outdoors. The x800 will be able to get you high settings on 1024x768 and still be very smooth. You can also probably pull off 1280x1024 with details at medium, but you would have to wait for someone that already has a similar setup to give you a better estimate.

Also, what type of interface do you have? AGP, PCI-E?? If you have PCI Express, you can consider this card ($160):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102675

It is an x800GTO2. This can be modded and overclocked into an x850XT which is a monster of a card!!!

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  10. emo19819

emo19819 Member

hey handsom, good words. you sound pretty wise. one mistake though. im no rich kid A, my dad is dead and i live with my mom in a flat and go to a crap school and walk to school and back. so listen here, u in a better life then me. i saw my dad die. outside my crappie flat. so i cant ask daddy for anything!!! at least u can get a hug from time to time. and i'll know pretty well wat to do wen i get viruses in the future. i won my in a pc olympiad that i entered by saving up for 3months to pay the entry fee. so im dam good at pcs and know a crap load more than any other person my age and older. so watch wat u say cos u were massively wrong with me.

11. handsom

handsom Regular member

I'm sure I was.

Pardon my cynicism; but I'm married to someone in the same situation, I've seen the photos, and I've seen the damage. And after marrying someone with that burden, and seeing the effects of it; I'm very skeptical of you. Not to mention the fact that your reaction tells me that, whether it's true or not; you're using it as a crutch.

-You live in a crappy flat? You walk to school? Ooooohhhh.... Poor baby. Get over yourself. You can complain, and whine, and whimper all day long about how horrible your life is; and the bottom line is that you might catch a brief sympathetic ear every now and then; never from me; but ultimately, it just leaves everyone with the distinct knowledge that you're more interested in dwelling on this, and gathering sympathy, than actually doing something with your life. I don't think you realize the majority of the individuals on here don't live in mansions. Most of us ARE living in crappy flats. Most of us DID or DO walk to school. Doing such is nothing to justify your whining. Doing such constitutes the average life. And living such is not about to get you an ounce of sympathy or sorrow from me. Telling me that these things are poor or unfortunate only further proves that you are rich kid A. Why? Because only rich kid A thinks of these things in that light. Only rich kid A would try to tell someone that 'walking to school' and living in 'a crappy flat' constitute misfortune. You're either full of it, or spoiled more than you can recognize. Most of us don't even have the opportunity to collect money for an athletic event, much less the spare time to compete. Sure, if that's true, you did well. But odds are that the individual on here with the word 'emo' in his title; posting about his nice computer, to show it off on a thread where it has no place; and then telling me he saw his father die; and he also wonhis computer in an event..... Is full of it. I'm sorry, you've put too many ingredients into the pot; and you've gotten too many odd factors for me to believe you at all. Your name, and your writing reveals to me that you are still spoiled rich kid A; who is gripping for attention, any kind at all; be it envy or sympathy; by whatever story will hopefully achieve this.

Not to mention your 'knowledge'. Your statement proves itself wrong. Anybody who knows *anything* about computers, first knows that there are, and always will be those who know much much more than you do. From operating systems, to shells, to billions of hardware configurations, there is always someone who will out do you, no matter how much you know. It's not a strike at you, it's a fact. Anybody claiming to be the wiser individual, who knows more about computers; obviously hasn't taken their first trip around the block, so to speak. The first step in learning about computers, is breaking your own pride, and realizing that there will always be masses of people who will make you look like a complete idiot when you try to compete. Am I saying that I know I'm smarter than you? I couldn't possibly know that. I've never met you. I can assume that I do; because you've made it clear that you're a newbie to advanced computing. But I will never *know* that. If I were to say such a thing, it would be a self defeating statement of vulgar pride.

I'm not interested in your story; be it true or false. I really don't care, my statement stands, and your response further indicates my accuracy.

Enjoy.

This argument does not belong in this thread. If you wish to continue arguing, feel free to message me. But I'd rather not clog this thread any more, since it was started for a purpose that actually assists people. I challenge you to be the bigger man, don't respond, just ignore me, so this thread continues in it's original, useful purpose.

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Alright fellas, let's get back to the subject at hand. Any further off topic problems or issue need to be taken care of via pm's just like hansom said.

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  13. handsom

handsom Regular member

Has oldblivion been updated since .11t?

14. Jase_ace

Jase_ace Member

Sorry that was a typo, I meant the X1600 not the X600.

Anyways I have bought and installed the X800 GTO and it works a treat. I also upgraded the bios to unlock 16 pipelines which is pretty sweet.

Thanks for you help though buddy. :)

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  15. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

You made a wise choice. Even stock the x800GTO2 will outperform the x1600pro!!

16. robstarot

robstarot Member

I have a problem .
    everytime i start playing the game i have to set the controls, but when i exit the game and play again the setting just dissapear.
    anybody have idea whats going on?
    some help?..
    thanx

17. handsom

handsom Regular member

Controls not saving? I will offer a solution, after a brief explanation:

The install copies all the files, including the base config file, to your hard drive, and gives the appropriate files a 'read only' mark. While files that need to be re-written are not given that mark.

If the config files have a 'read only' property, which would prevent the controls from being saved correctly, then the original setup process for oblivion was not run.

In short, if you have a legitimate version, re-install, and re-apply the appropriate patches. There really isn't any reason for this to happen.

If that's not the problem, then the orginal setup isn't being used, and this is not a case for support on the retail game. Many times, 'other' versions of the game, that weren't purchased from retailers do have these problems. If this is the case, I can only suggest that you run down to your local retailer and actually purchase this game. believe me, it's worth your while.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  18. Alucardvt

Alucardvt Member

Hey guys, I've read each post on this thread about a 1000 times really trying to maximise my gaming experience and I've really gotta say thanks to Jizmak on behalf of myself and everyone here. He's offered so much help and it's been so effective in jacking up frame-rates and making things a little better. You are an actual Hero my friend and I salute you.
    As for the game, it's amazing and even at such low settings I'm in love with it. I'm running an ATI Radeon 9250 much like others on this forum and the shaders package is all thats really needed as well as Oldblivion of course! Keep up the good work guys...

19. sadelder

sadelder Member

so i run oldblivion (shader mod above) on oblivion and whenever i try to play the game (aka click "New") it just freezes

i can't get beyond the startup screen (IN the game)

i have XP SP2, a gig of ram, 2.8 GHz CPU, and (please don't care about it) a GMA 950 IGP

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  20. robstarot

robstarot Member

THANX FOR YOUR ANSWERS.

I BELIEVE YOU RIGHT ABOUT THE CONTROLS "BUG", I HAVE A "PIRATED" COPY OF THE GAME, BUT MY FRIEND HAVE THE SAME COPY AND WITHOUT PROBLEMS.
    YOU KNOW I BUY F.E.A.R AND OBLIVION FOR $15.66. IS A VERY GOOD PRICE IN MY COUNTRY ( COSTA RICA) $49.99 ONLY OBLIVION AND IN USA.
    YOU KNOW 49.99 IN USA BUT IN MY COUNTRY THIS COULD BE DOUBLE O MORE :( .

MAYBE I HAVE TO BUY A LEGAL OBLIVION COPY, THE GAME REALLY WORTH IT.

I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION,HOW MUCH AFFECTS ON THE PERFORMANCE THE HARD DRIVE.
    I WANNA BUY A SERIAL ATA DISC, I HAVE TWO HARD DRIVES, 40G BOTH 7200RPM SEAGATE AND I THINK THAT A NEW DRIVE MAYBE MAKE A GOOD DIFFERENCE ¡WHAT DO YOU THINK?