1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TES Oblivion Graphics help

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by cremos, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

robstarot

Lay off the all caps next time. It's conmsidered shouting and quite hard on the eyes ;)

2. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

I think the controller bug is not from it being a bootlet. It could have been an error when installing or it being a BAD bootleg.

As for the Hard Drive, it will make a difference if you do not have enough RAM. It would speed things up a bit. However if you have 1GB of RAM or more, there will be little if any difference.

What the HDD will make a difference in is texture loading. You will notice when you walk around outside or in larger cities that there is a small stutter and you hear the Hard Drive moving. That is when new textures are loading. It would speed this up depending on how fast your old Hard Drive was. However, make sure you are not replacing a 7200 RPM HDD with another 7200 RPM one. SATA or PATA will not make a big difference unless you are doing something where Data is constantly moving.

3. handsom

handsom Regular member

Are we actually discussing the performance of a bootleg or pirate copy of a game? Generally speaking, I was under the impression that it was a taboo topic here.

Has something changed?

4. Nephilim

The forum rules were revised a while back :)

5. robstarot

robstarot Member

sorry. nephilim, i forgot about the caps thing.....
    thanx for your quick answers..i hope i´m not breaking the forum rules, let me know it.

I have a radeon x800 xt aiw, the performance in game is not too high, the settings are in mid range and without tree view,30-35fps in exterior with some stops in loading areas, aa 2x.So, looks good but not so much and the fps could go down 13-15fps in loading areas.I dont have problems playing F.E.A.R, doom 3, quake 4 GTA SA,etc.
    It¨s that right for the tipe of video card or maybe is something more else?

my specs.
    p4 3ghz socket 478
    1 ghz RAM kingston400 *3200
    2x hard drives 40gig 7200rpm
    asus P4 P800 SE
    XP-SP2
    No internet connection(i use work connection)

About bootleg:
    The games are expensive,(here). taxes,inflation and other things make prices go up and up.
    So many people dont have the money to buy an original game and obiously buy the bootleg.In my case oblivion was the first game (for pc) that i buy, in general i¨m download games from internet and cost me nothing. I dont sell games i share them, with two friends.
    If the prices go low i will buy originals but, i think this never gonna happen.
    There´s no law here about it, you can find stores in mall´s selling playstation 1 & 2,xbox and other´s bootlegs discs at public eye without problem.there´s a law about software and music but no games in.
    It´s a big problem for game developers, surely lost millions but i don´t feel sorry for them, they still releasing games year after year,new consoles year after year.
    what do you think?.....
    thanx

6. muddy82

muddy82 Member

Hi guys can i request for the original Oblivion.exe file?
    I'm not able to apply the new patch update. worst of all I've lost the cd after installing it and applyin the nocd crack.

7. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

@robstarot,

Your slowdowns are insane!!! What resolution are you playing at?? I have a much weaker system and get around 60FPS outdoors and it rarely drops below 30FPS. I play at 1024x768 with Medium settings + max view distance and all distant views ON.

First, turn off v-sync. Also, make sure that your system is defragmented and you do not have a bunch of crap running in the background. For example, on Windows XP Pro SP2, I use 120MB RAM when idle and on Windows 2000 I use 60MB Ram when idle. If you are well above these numbers, then you have too much crap running.

8. Nephilim

Nope!

9. handsom

handsom Regular member

@Nephilim

Thanks for clearing that one up for me, I was unaware of the change.

@robstarot

Other issues aside, I highly suggest checking what you've got running in the background, as well as your AA settings, your Vsync(As someone else mentioned), and a few other generic system cleaners might help.

If you're starting to see overall slowdown, try cclean, it is a registry cleaner(I might be incorrect, the title may be ccreg, or something to that effect, but you get the idea).

Also, check your system pagefile. See what the reccomendation is, see what your range is. I suggest actually physically locking a set page file size at, or just above the reccomendation. I do this on both my hard drives, and have seen significant improvements in both performance and hard drive longevity, not to mention much less need for frequent defrags. I do a lot of file editing, lots of home based film projects (Two years of film classes never really wears off, I find myself trying to do all kinds of crazy projects and effects). So, to say that this one change has hugely increased performance and stability, says a lot.

There are a lot of other fixes for this specific game, as well as system tweaks in general that can help, all over this site. If you still need more info, don't be afraid to repost for it.

10. Nephilim

Anytime handsom :)

11. SVTPT92

SVTPT92 Member

Ok I've been reading through these.. and here's the deal... Everything has been fine.. working great, absolutely nothing wrong. Maybe a bit of a lag when going from one "scene" to the next (ie going through a door from a dungeon into the real world), but that's to be expected loading a large amount of area.

I'm a couple weeks into the game, and suddenly the graphics which control things like fire, and spells stop working. For instance, if I'm in an Aleyid (sp?) structure, and I step on a trigger plate for the door in front of me to open.. I'll hear the thing open but it takes about 3-5 minutes just for the stupid thing to open? If I go back..say about 10 saves prior.. it works fine..for a while. Then it gets ugly again.

I'm degfragmenting right now so we'll see if that works, but I think it's something else.

Here are my specs:
    AMD 3200+ Athlon 64
    2 gig Ram
    C: (o/s game drive) 34gig Raptor with about 12 gigs of free space
    ATI X800GTO

Like I said it wwas running great.. and now suddenly things are gettin g annoying.. having to wait for doors to open.. just ridiculous. What do you think is going on?

Thanks in advance!

12. XZZZZZZZ0

XZZZZZZZ0 Member

Can't get oblivion to even install.
    I have a dvd drive and it reads fine with all the other dvd-rom games i have, but for some reason oblivion won't install. I get a "setup needs the next disk" window. even when i just try to explore the disk, none of the files are visible. do i maybe just need a new dvd drive? also, i noticed the file system of this disk is UDFRDR. all my other games are either CDFS or UDF. could this be the problem too?
    any info would be appreciated.
    thanks

13. handsom

handsom Regular member

Oblivion's disc is unusual. It is a DVD9 game. There are only a few out there. Most, but not all DVD drives can read the whole disc. This became an issue with some early model PS2s as well. There really isn't any 'fix' for this other than getting a new drive. I really hate saying that, but a firmware update (Which is a pain in the first place) most likely wouldn't change this problem for you, the issue is that your drive isn't equipped with a laser that can read the extra layer of data.

I wish I had more helpful information, but at least you know what's going on.

14. XZZZZZZZ0

XZZZZZZZ0 Member

which drive would work? just bought a new one and still no luck. strange that i would be the only one with this problem.

15. robstarot

robstarot Member

@jaguargod

really insane, i play at 800x600.The v sync is off.I will try defragmenting.
    Maybe i have to reinstall the game from 0 and save my saves for later.
    I´m running various mods for the game, this could be part of the problem.
    mods:
    IA_Caballos_1[1].1_Rev_1,NoSunDamage_v10,traduccion[1].0 por robotnick, porroone carde88,ilummination within,lod landscape,natural enviroments.
    i remember those.
    I will check the idle.

@handsom
    I have a program, tune up utilities 2005, this help me in defrag the registry and clean hard drives,themes and other things.
    I will check the page file this could be a good thing to test.

I will try these fixes in my computer, thanx both for the time., i´ll be in contact.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  16. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

I find it quite amusing when people ask for the original .exe because they have lost their disc. It makes me come to the conclusion they either rented or borrowed the game. I think GCW even says to save the original .exe for updating. Buy the game to support the Elder Scrolls 5!

17. XZZZZZZZ0

XZZZZZZZ0 Member

ok, this may sound stupid, but if anybody could let me know, i'd really apprectiat it. when you open your oblivion dvd, what file system is it showing in the details section?
    thanks

18. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

My drive details say it's UDF. Do you have a Dual Layered DVD Drive?

19. XZZZZZZZ0

XZZZZZZZ0 Member

yes, i have one. for my drive details, it says UDFRDR. i believe that stands for Universal Disk Format ReaDeR, which is the decoder that reads UDF? or am i wrong?

20. XZZZZZZZ0

XZZZZZZZ0 Member

n/m, scratch that. got the game installed and running. turned out roxio software (which i had installed) causes the issue i was having. once i uninstalled it, i was good. thanks