1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

test if dvd is ntsc or pal

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by basquiat, May 2, 2007.

1. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

not sure if this is a proper place, sorry if not, heres my situation, i have a few hundred backup dvds and i always just labeled them with the title, but now i want to go back and add ntsc or pal to each one, whatis the fastest way for me to just pop in a disc and find out if its pal or ntsc? i was hoping vlc could do this but i cant see anywhere to check the frame rate...thanx for any help.

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

This way would be kind of tedious, but ...

If you have a stand alone dvd player that is NTSC only - put in disk. If it plays, its NTSC. If its a PAL disk you will get an error message.

3. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

lol...you think like me, i almost brought my entire dvd collection to my friends house to do just that, but i backed out because ii was sure there was a simpler way to do this on my pc, my dvd player is region free...thanx for the input though....anyone else have a pc solution?

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

There probably is a PC solution. I am just not aware of what it may be. I only have one PAL dvd, all the rest are NTSC.

Nevertheless, even a PC solution will involve putting each disk in the drive and engaging whatever program. Still going to be a major pain.

5. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

this should be father easy where do you live? if you are in usa and you bought all your dvd here in the states they all would be ntsc, also unless you have a stand alone player that you bought in the states most likley your player will only play ntsc disks, some of the newer dvd players play both pal and ntsc, also are any of the backups downloaded from the net? sme of them could be pal but if the format was dvix,xvid,avi, and you converted the files with convertxtodvd, the defalt i do believe is ntsc, good luck

6. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I was just thinking about this again. You said your player is region free, but is it able to convert formats on the fly?

If it does not convert formats, your NTSC tv won't be able to display PAL format. You are going to put your disk into the pc one at a time or the dvd player one at a time. Still labor intensive.

7. PALToNTSC

PALToNTSC Regular member

hi guys,

it's not enough to put the dvd in the dvd player and see if it works or not, cuz maybe the dvd is bad copied etc.

the way to do that and i see it very fast is to use clone dvd.
    when you open your dvd into the clone dvd it shows you if it's pal or ntsc with all the options.

8. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

thanx for all the ideas, i actually already got powerdvd witch gives me all the dvd info i need...thanx again.

9. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!

10. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Just tried it. You can drop one of the VOB files on GSpot. takes about a second to analyze it.