1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks for your help, one more ? (VHS & DVD)

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by uncleb, Feb 27, 2004.

1. uncleb

uncleb Guest

First I want to thank all of you for the help that you’ve given me so far. I read and compare all your posts. Here’s my plan, please tell me what you think. So far I’ve gotten a LiteON DVD burner (on sale at Best Buy under the name of BUSlink). For transferring VHS & 8mm to DVD I’m going for the Canopus ADVC-100, it seems (from all I’ve read) to be about the easiest to figure out and keeps audio & video in sync. I’m going to (as your posts suggest) upgrade to Windows XP, increase my RAM to 512, and get and extra Hard Drive (around 60 gigs). Commenting on the above will be appreciated (unless you plan on confusing me more that I already am). There are still a couple of things I could use your help on. I need to get a Firewire for my Canopus ADVC-100, does it matter what kind, any recommendations? As far as software is there any that will do a good job both working with transferring VHS to DVD & Copying DVD to DVD? Do I need different software for both, and will any of this software also allow me to arrange my JPEG’s in such a way as to show them on my DVD player. Some of you have told me that there is editing software that comes with Windows XP, is that sufficient for any of the things I want done? As you can see I’m still a little confused and that’s why I’m calling on you guys.
    Well Thanks again for all of your help
    God Bless
    Uncle Bob

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

As for Firewire Cards any one will do but do not get one that uses a Texas Instruments Chipset because there have been compatibility issues with the ADVC-100 and Firewire cards that use the Texas Instruments Chipset...There is a Basic DV Capture and editing Program that you can download from the Windows Update web site, It is called "Windows Movie Maker 2.0" you can use it to do basic Editing and Captureing of your Movies in DV or WMV Format But do NOT use the WMV Format, allways render your edited Files as DV AVI files...After you have edited your Movie and rendered it in DV AVI format you will Need to Encode the DV AVI file to Mpeg2 format for DVD, You can use Tmpgenc for this as there is a 30 day Demo that can be downloaded from www.tmpgenc.net ...Then after you have the DVD Compliant Mpeg2 file you will have to author it to DVD and add the Chapters and Menu"s and you can use the Jpeg Image files you mentioned...One very Good program if you Plan on makeing your own menu"s is "DVD-Lab" you can download a 30 day demo at "www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/" ,It will Add chapters and menu"s and format the Files into a Video_TS Folder and Burn it to DVD that you can then watch on your DVD Player......I hope I answered some of your Questions...There will be a Quite a Bit of a Learning Curve untill you figure out what you are doing so if you ever get stuck let me know and I"ll try to help out the best I can....Cheers