1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks to the music industry, it is illegal to make private copies of music—again

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ireland, Nov 27, 2015.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

Thanks to the music industry, it is illegal to make private copies of music—again

The UK's 2014 private copying exception, which allowed you to make personal copies of your own music, including format-shifted versions, has now been definitively withdrawn, according to The 1709 Blog. As a result, it is once more illegal to make personal backups of your own music, videos or e-books, rip CDs and DVDs to standalone digital files, or upload your music to the cloud.

The UK's new private copying exception had been in a state of legal limbo following a judicial review of the legislation in June, which had been sought by the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors, the Musicians’ Union, and UK Music. In his review, the High Court judge mostly found in favour of the UK government, except for one crucial aspect. He said the UK government's decision to bring in the new copyright exception was "flawed" because "the evidence relied upon to justify the conclusion about harm was inadequate/manifestly inadequate."

This left the UK government with three options. It could carry out further research to prove more rigorously that copyright holders would not suffer from the introduction of this personal copy exception, in which case the law could stand; it could repeal the relevant section of the law; or it could introduce a compensation scheme. In the end, it decide to throw up its hands and withdraw the private copyright exception completely.

As The 1709 Blog points out: "Those users who are aware of the changes face a difficult decision: whether to make copies for personal use in contravention of the law in the reasonably sure knowledge that they won't get caught, or abide by the law and deny themselves a degree of sensible flexibility in their viewing and listening choices." But it also notes: "One thing they will not do is go out and buy a digital replacement such as a download, for a CD or DVD they already own."

In other words, killing the personal copying exception will bring the music industry very little financial benefit, while turning the UK public into scofflaws for making backup copies, format-shifting or uploading music to the cloud. And as The 1709 Blog points out, it's not as if the music industry is going to use the fact that the exception has been withdrawn to pursue anyone caught doing any of these things: "I think it is fair to say that they will, privately, continue with their old policy of not seeking to sue or prosecute anyone for personal format shifting. To do otherwise would undoubtedly alienate the buying public and strengthen the argument that the record labels are out of touch with what music fans want."

By insisting on a judicial review of this long-overdue and extremely limited copyright exception, which in any case only legalised what everyone was already doing, the music industry has certainly shown itself to be quite indifferent to what its customers want. But more importantly, it has confirmed that copyright itself is no longer fit for the digital age.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-polic...llegal-to-make-private-copies-of-music-again/

2. aldan

aldan Active member

well,of course,i would never contravene the law.cough

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I remember the days of yore when there was a thing called a "music industry"... didn't they commit suicide by treating their consumers like criminals?

Back at it again eh?.. so now I'm a criminal if I rip that vinyl lp that was deleted in 1969 and never ever released on tape or cd.. to mp3 or something because it's nearly priceless and vinyl does deteriorate with use and I want to listen to it.. after all.. it belongs to me and everybody on it is dead.. so exactly who am I "stealing from" .. The artists are dead, the record company doesn't exist, and when it did wasn't bothered enough to ever make any more of it (abandonware) .. So why?

Most modern "music" at least anything they class as "commercially viable" (i.e. profitable to them) isn't even worth the five minutes of life it takes to listen and realise it's just more of the same old generic corporate product they have fed to the braying masses for the last two decades.. i.e drivel :D

Greed and more greed from a historic "industry" which doesn't exist in any meaningful way.. because it killed itself by greed !!

4. aldan

aldan Active member

fricken well put!!

5. furious10

furious10 Newbie

I believe that the removal of this exception has a lot more nefarious cogitation than most people realise. You might think I am a conspirey but but please just consider for a moment that 'The New World Order' is real and when they decide to mobilise their forces and engage the final move the first thging they will do is create some kind of external threat so they can justify establishing a curfew and once the curfew is in place all they need is some official legal reason to start rounding up the people who they see as could be a threat to their schemes and what better way to justify arresting copious amounts of people with an ample sound justification for doing so than the fact that these so-called criminals are guilty of violations of the copyright law

6. aldan

aldan Active member

whoa buddy,we were just talking music here (and copyright).what yu are talking about has happened many times thru out history.remember harry seldons theory of cyclic history.