1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[The 24 Hour Encode]

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by nhafen, Nov 2, 2005.

1. nhafen

nhafen Member

Why is DVD rebuilder with CCE running extremely slow? I recently formated my hard drive and reinstalled all drivers and software including DVD rebuilder installer v0.95 with CCE basic. Before the format it took me the standard 2 to 3 hours to finsh a 8 gig movie. Every thing seemed to be working fine so I turned off my monitor and went to bed. The next morning I woke up and the encode was only 30% complete. When I got back from work that same day it was only 60%. Essentially the encode took 24 hours and I have tried everything execpt reformating to fix it. Ive been troubleshooting for a week and gotten no where does anyone know how to fix this problem? thank you

Windows XP Home, NTFS, P4 2.2, 512 ddr, 100 GIG hard drive space

2. Matador

Matador Regular member

Try the Pro version to see if that helps.I don't realy like Rebuilder it took 6 hours to encode a 5 clips that are 44mins long.With CCE 2.5 and it turn out looks ok.But when using DVD Shrink with Deep Analysis and Maximum Sharpness and only took 1hour.Lets just say I am going to be sticking with DVD Shrink.And I don't have a crappy machine.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  3. nhafen

nhafen Member

"Before the format it took me the standard 2 to 3 hours to finsh a 8 gig movie." I was using rebuilder with CCE before the format and it only took 3 hours. Now it takes 24. Something is way off and I cant figure it out.

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

nhafen,
    Welcome to the forum. Check in Device Manager to see if you have any yellow flags. Sounds like Windows has put your system in PIO Mode. Go to Ide/ATA Controllers ( device manager) You should have Primary and secondary controllers. The primary are usually the HD's ( Ultra DMA 5 Mode) and secondary controllers are usually the burners and DVD-Rom if installed. If they are in PIO the right click the controllers and uninstall.Then re-boot and let Windows er-install it properly. You might also d/l a free registry cleaner and clean the registry as that can also cause computer conflicts. For every 6 conflicts Windows downgrages the DMA down to PIO.

I really do not think it is the program because too many of us are uing CCE w/ DVDRebuilder and yours is way to long so it must be a computer hardware conflict

5. nhafen

nhafen Member

The drives were both in Ultra DMA mode 5 and the problem still persists. I have pest patrol and have ran it several times since the problem started. I would like to beleive it is a hardware problem but everthing else is running well.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

nhafen,

Pm either jdobbs or Sophocles and see if they know what the problem might be. Jdobbs is the author of dvd-remake and Sophocles knows his stuff. I am a true believer in dvd-remake/cce and never use dvd shrink anymore. They just don't compare. A 7.5 gb folder encoded with rb/cce looks as good or better than a 5 gb folder transcoded with shrink.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

nhafen

Check your DMA settings for both your hard disk and your drives, I'm betting that they're running in PIO mode.

8. nhafen

nhafen Member

OK, I just checked my drives for the tenth time today and they are still at Ultra DMA mode 5. That was the first thing I checked when I started having problems. I'm not in PIO mode. That is not the problem.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

nhafen

Then your system is just slow but it shouldn't be that slow. There are only a couple of factors that affect encode speeds and if it isn't your hardware settings then it's your software settings. If your hard disk is fragmented that could do it, If you have too manny apps running in the back ground that can do it too.

10. nhafen

nhafen Member

I never had this problem before I formated the harddrive. My system was not slow. I was encoding movies with exact same sofware. It only took 2 to 3 hours.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

nhafen

What file system did you reformat with (ntfs or fat32? Did you do a complete reformat or did you do a quick format? Check your bios settings for DMA. Are you using Intel app accelerator?

12. nhafen

nhafen Member

ntsf, complete format, how do I check bios for DMA I just checked the device manager, dont have intel app accel

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

nhafen

Go into setup right after you boot. Also check your hard disk for partitions, you shouldn't have partitions with a 100 gig drive but with a bad format it can happen.

14. nhafen

nhafen Member

Bios says DMA is enabled. Dont think I have any partitians

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Then your system sucks!!!!!!!

16. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

nhafen ,
    I would recommend that you carry the unit over to the PC Doctor and see what is wrong. If the machine was in front of most of us we could figure it out fairly quickly. There is no way that encode should go over 3 hours. Did you add any matrices as that would slow down the encode . Uninstall DVD-RB and then re-boot and then re-install DVD-RB using the installer . Make sure the ram is seated properly and the cable from the MOBO to the HD has no shorts in it

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

nhafen

Sorry, but I had to say it. Either your hardware sucks or you have a software problem, there aren't any other choices.

18. nhafen

nhafen Member

Found the problem CPU fan went out on me. I took the side off my tower and stuck my desk fan in there. Rebuilder works like a charm. Thanks to Sophocles and everybody else for thier help. I guess its true, bad airflow can kill ya.