1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences hunt Academy Screeners Online

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Dela, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are now aware of at least 3 Academy Screeners online (they noticed very late! must be using kazaa ;-) ) which are "Cold Mountain", "The Last Samurai" and "Something's Gotta Give". The VHS Screeners would have been distributed through IRC chatrooms mainly, then after a while hit p2p networks and spread around there. Copies of House of Sand and Fog were also discovered on an auction site! So who leaked these? Well Something's Gotta Give has been traced to Carmine Caridi (Godfather Part 2, NYPD Blue) whom I'd highly doubt supplied this to a release group. What groups made these releases, well, possibilities are....

Cold.Mountain.SCREENER-TDi
    Somethings.Gotta.Give.SCREENER-OBUS
    The.Last.Samurai.SCREENER-OBUS

I reckon its very unlikely any of those two groups will be busted nor anybody caught for the leak, i mean, couldn't someone have just made 2 recordings when those tapes were being made? Weren't they transported? etc etc it'd be just too hard to pin point who it is. However the hidden serials or whatever in these movies seem to be well paying off so far for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, but will they get anything out of it at all? Probably just scare some people!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

There are so many ways a film can get copied and leaked during the process they'll never be able to stop it. Maybe they should put the time and effort onto making more movies actually worth downloading then whine about it.

They rake in hundreds of millions of dollars for these movies and they're crying about downloads? I think they're starting to believe their own grossly inflated figures for what they're supposedly losing to downloads.

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

maybe if the prices for movies whether that be on dvd or video or whatever the format came down and if the movies came out more quickly piracy wouldnt be such an issue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Dela

Nephilim, the funny thing is that dvd sales just keep on rising. This isn't like music at all, they are complaining and i dont think they've seen any real losses yet, well besides the flops of movies like hulk that leaked online very early, but hulk was shit so thats why no1 saw it!

andmerr, funny you should say that, there is work now on a sattelite solution to that, where it would make it possible for all movies to open in the US, as well as the rest of the world at once!

And back to the topic, there have been more Academy Screeners released than have been listed, I cant understand why they dont realise these! I think they are probably using p2p or something, which is a bit mad really!

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey dela sorry for slight change in topic

i had heard that the satelite thing was in the pipeline and that with the 3rd installment of lord of the rings they were sort of going to try it.But all that aside i really cant see the price getting lowered, well how else are they going to prop up there many flops. eg all kevin costners movies r pretty boring.Maybe some where down the track common sense will prevail but i doubt it

6. Dela

Mark my words man, not too far from now, everything will be gone digital one way or another! Music stores wont have cd's as we know them, just machines that u go over to, put in some money, select the songs/album you want burned, it will burn it, check it, give it. Imagine the money that could be saved on a system like that? And imagine if that system also was made for software and DVD (or maybe EVD will take over). Now we'll look at the bad side! Society as we know it would be changed forever, hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of jobs would be lost from people who transport, factories who make cd cases etc etc it would be very different!

But maybe thats a good thing? I mean if thats the way things went then people would have to really knuckle down to earn money and the planet may push forward in technology.

Such a change would be amazing for the environment, without all those extra transport vans on the road, maybe the world fuels would last a lot longer, the air would be more clear etc etc..

Anyway you get what I am saying, and now for a moment, back on topic...

They are now also hunting for Master And Commander : The Far side of the World. They really are terrible at this though, they are finding these far too late!

7. brian100

brian100 Guest

Why don't they just release straight to DVD, eliminate cinema's,region coding, simultaneous release world wide?

It's all about MONEY i'm afraid as usual. The studios hype a movie to death. If you live in England you have to wait ages for release to see it. It totally encourages piracy and the spread of "illegal" screeners. If these boneheads had their heads screwed on properly they would realise it's a mess of their own making.

8. brian100

brian100 Guest

Dela

Your theory on, potential future, movie distribution is just so dull. Imagine just walking upto a machine and hitting a button for your music or movie? How boring would that be?

9. Dela

boring it may be however. When the recording industry realise that by doing this, they only have to ship out some little 1's and 0's over a multigigabyte connection instead of millions of cd's all over the world (which cause a massive amount of money to transport) they'll just to the opportunity! I mean, u can burn at like 52x on a normal cd, so walking into a store, putting money into a machine and hitting the name of an album would have the cd burned in about 1 minute if it was 80min's long! Thats just the way i see it all happening, it saves the industries probably multi billions so it will happen, in fact, there are places already have a service like that!

10. Nephilim

I hope not, Dela! I'm a collector, tried and true. I like to have an actual CD or DVD with cover art and liner notes. My 300+ CDs and 370+ DVDs will attest to that.

I don't think discs will go away entirely as there will always be collectors like me. Look at vinyl - it outlasted 8-Tracks, cassettes, and is still going in the digital age because collectors like it. I can defininately see a far more modest market for discs as more and more people like the growing convenience of digital.

11. brian100

brian100 Guest

Dela

If the recording industries adopted the "push button dispenser" method, would they reduce their prices to consumers?. I seriously doubt it. Would this method of sale encourage "casual" buyers, thats debatable.

12. Dela

Nephilim, cd's can be pressed easily, cover art can be printed! lol

brian100, amm, well look at iTunes or Napster, 99c a song!

13. brian100

brian100 Guest

Dela

An awful lot of people have not heard of itunes or Napster. Those who have, and value audio quality, would not dream about downloading. Mp3's and the like simply do not compare with audio cd & dvd audio for quality.

The idea will never take off in the high street in the short term. Long term I accept it will probably happen but in a different form. IE Broadband connection. No shops or outlets will be involved at all. Browsing through back catalogues in record shops will be a thing of the past. It will be a great shame.

And dela..remember...it only my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2004
  14. Dela

I know that, sure its only my opinion too. One thing about audio quality though, mp3 aint the only thing, there's APE audio, or Musepack audio, and programs such as exact audio copy which are made to made extremely high quality copies of music! Lossless codecs wont take off easy though cause well, think of it as the way people see kazaa as a great p2p but those who have been using the harder, different methods know its far from the best!

15. vanila

vanila Member

while i do think buying CD's/DVD's and such will become more automated - mostly online, including printing the booklets that can come with such things......nothing will replace a live performance.

people will always want to go see actors on stage, films in a theater, musicians play live, etc. there is nothing that can replace that live feeling.

16. Dela

Well back to the topic for a moment, the FBI have made some arrests and Carmine Caridi was responsible for the leaks, he has been selling is Academy Screeners for years!!

17. Nephilim

Well then Carmine got what he deserved. It's guys like him that give the MPAA an excuse to go after people like us.

18. Dela

actually sorry im wrong i dont think he was selling at all, he just gave them to him because he knows he likes movies!

19. Nephilim

Ah Ha! Well if the guy wasn't distributing or selling the screeners I have no problem with him and the authorities should shove off.