1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Antivirus (No comments re Piracy)

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by LUFFYPSP, Dec 26, 2007.

1. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

I got Vista Ultimate on my pc.and using Norton 2008 on it.after i installed norton,my pc went slow.i got 1GB Ram.is there any better antivus available than norton that does not affect my pc's speed??or at least an antivirus than have same perfomance and service as Norton but does not lower my pc's speed??

Thnxs..

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

with Vista 2 gigs of ram is recommend, yeah norton is horrible you will need a removal tool to clean it off your machine. Better AV programs are Trend Micro, NOD 32 or Kaspersky

freeware which is still way better than norton are AVG , Avast , and Avira

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/166

3. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

thanx for the quick reply.ok i'm intersted on NOD 32.i dont really know about it but the names cooler than the others.plus i've seen people comparing between NOD 32 and norton 2008.so can you please tell me detailed info on it??or maybe you could suggest between trend micro or NOD 32...i want an AV that have all security(internet,and everything as Norton have)

Edit : whats the recommended anti spyware and firewall??i uses winddows defender for firewall but whats the recommended anti spyware??

**off topic
    -is it all 3 three things that i only need for my pc's security??
    - do you suggest me to go back to xp??

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

both Trend Micro and NOD 32 have a "Internet Security" package which includes the AV program ,Firewall and Spyware program all in one so thats what you want. BUT you still want to use multi spyware programs. freeware ad/aware,AVG and spybot are all good and a great pay program is STOPzilla this is probably the best program I've ever used

http://www.stopzilla.com/download/d...512&OVMTC=standard&OVKEY=stopzilla&AID=10003&

you probably need to consider getting two gigs of ram total if your going to stick with Vista ,Vista is a system hog when it comes to ram. going back to XP well maybe if you can't swing the other gig of ram

5. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

so all the thing i need a NOD32 or trend micro??and thats solved my security problems??what if i use bitdefender or AVG??does it have it all also??

plus i need to add additional anti spyware like stopzilla??is it a must??

6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

most likely thats all you need being it has an AV, firewall and spyware program all in one, you can still use the freeware spyware programs like ad/aware, AVG spybot etc. if you need to

no the free versions don't have all three built in its just an AV program but you can use freeware firewalls and spyware programs but IMO they aren't as good as using the complete package of Trend Micro or NOD 32 but thats up to you

not its not a must but its another option to keep yourself safe. its very good program you can run a free scan and see what it comes up with then decide weather to buy it or not

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  7. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

ok thnxs.now i got it clear.one more thing,what type of xp version you recommend??i know its xp pro but what service pack??1,2 or 3??

8. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

Best AV - AVG, or NOD32

Best Anti-Spyware - Windows Defender, Adaware Free edition, and Spybot

Best Firewall - A router and the Windows Firewall

No security software can protect you if you do risky things on the internet.

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

XP pro with service pack 2 is what i like

10. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

SP2.ok thnx.but i just figured out that i think i can afford on another 1gb or 2GB.so i'll stick with vista.another questions from me...

-i heard that i cant install two AV at the same time because it will cause negative effects.is it true??
    -how to remove this norton out of my pc??you said i need a removal tool??
    -i got windows defender as antispyware.so i just need to install NOD32 or trend Micro in order to have Antivirus and firewall installed??

11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

correct you don't want to run two AV programs it will cause false positives so don't do it

use this link to remove it completely

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

correct, but first remove norton then install Trend Micro or NOD 32.windows defender isn't that great so use a few of the others i mentioned in the thread also. another good option for a firewall is to use hardware a firewall/router works well along with your AV Internet Security firewall having both is good

12. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

owh thnxs...can i use multiple antispyware or multiple firewall since i cant use multiple AV??or do i need to remove windows defender??

and i dont understand this - "another good option for a firewall is to use hardware a firewall/router works well along with your AV Internet Security firewall having both is good"...

13. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

you can use multiple antispyware, and not many people know this but a router is a hardware firewall and provides more security then a software firewall ie, zonealarm, and etc, I would still use the windows firewall. For anyone who doesn't believe me that a router is a firewall I suggest you listen to security now, at grc.com/securitynow

14. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

you can keep windows defender

15. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

ok thnx.what's the recommended antispyware,firewall and antivirus if i want to use freeware programs??

my choice....
    Antivirus -AVG (currently using Norton)
    Antispyware - Windows Defender,AVG (currently use Windows Defender)
    Firewall - Comodo Personal Firewall (i dont know what i use right now,maybe norton also)

is it good already??or any other suggestions??

16. tucker001

tucker001 Regular member

Comodo is fine if you don't have a router, if you have a router just have the windows firewall on

17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

you can use multiple spyware programs but not multipe firewall programs(software anyway)The best combo is to use a hardware firewall(as in your router) and a software firewall

hardware firewall = router

18. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

owh ok..i just found the site that have NOD32 uploaded.my question is,is NOD32 has an update such Norton??like,Norton 2007,Norton 2008...??or is it an auto update through the internet??

if i have a router and i want to install the software firewall??possible??

here's the dumb one,how to set my windows firewall on????

19. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yes NOD 32 updates like norton, the program updates daily as needed and you get the yearly updates as well, yes it will auto update over the internet

yes as i said you can use both. the hardware firewall thats built into the router and then use a software firewall also. remember the NOD 32 and the Trend Micro Internet Security package have a firwall inculded

if your going to get the Internet Security package with NOD 32 or Trend Micro you really don't need the windows firewall but to turn it on do this

click start go to control panel, click security center, then click the windows firewall tab and check the right box

[​IMG]

20. LUFFYPSP

LUFFYPSP Regular member

if i turn on the firewall while using NOD32 or trend micro??will it crash or what??

i've downloaded the NOD32 but the size is only about 10mb and it doesnt require installation.it it really the NOD32 i'm looking for??