1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best software to use

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mattaggie, Jan 18, 2005.

1. mattaggie

mattaggie Member

I'm not worried about spending some money on a good reliable program that works. I just would like some advise on what everybody thinks is the best dvd back up program to use. If you would not mind, could you please rank these programs based on performance and not money.

clonedvd2, dvdshrink, xcopyplatinum ( I cant think of any other programs but I know that there are a lot )

Thank you

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Also ... alot of good reading and opinions.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/88038

3. mattaggie

mattaggie Member

so what program or programs do you use if you dont mind me asking.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  4. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

order of preference for me is
    dvd shrink + dvd decrypter (totally free, easy to use, awesome
    dvd shrink + nero (nero ultra has a heap of excellent burning apps that is well worth the cost)
    DVD43/AnyDVD + Nero (similar to shrink in operation)
    DVD Decrypter iso read/iso write mode (great for smaller movies and ps2 backups
    Last on my list or there abouts would be rubbish like dvd wizard pro and its ilk (freeware for lots of $$$), and dvd x copy variants

5. billwebso

billwebso Guest

I have been using slysoft's AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 on a trial basis the last few days and really like it. The interface just seems really simple. And is about 15 min quicker for me than decrypter and dvd shrink. Now I don't know if I'll spend the money, because you can do essentially the same things with decrypter and dvd shrink. Nero is a must.

6. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

That was an imposing post, wasn't it? Well, this is the [bold]"advanced users"[/bold] forum, and maybe the mod didn't think there should be a need to explain further. Actually, the list shows that a) there are lots of ways to skin the cat, and b) there are different cats (dvd copy scenarios) to skin. In a sense, your original question begs the retort: which software to use [bold]for what?[/bold]

If all you are going to do is copy/rip dvd's then you could probably get by with dvd decrypter and dvd shrink. If you ever plan put vid files (avi's or mpegs) not already in dvd format on a dvd, you are going to need something like NeroVision Express. If money is not an object, then you should definitely get Nero 6 Ultimate (which will include NeroVision Express, along with an awesome package of additional tools and utilities).

As for what I use personally -- and with the vast array of alternatives, you'll likely get a different answer from each respondent -- I'm doing everything I need to do (for now) with: 1) DVD Decrypter (to rip), 2) Roxio Easy DVD Copy (to burn), and NeroVision Express (to "create movies" for dvd). Okay, on the last, depending on my original sources (avi's and mpeg's) I may use other editing tools before I turn NeroVision Express loose on them.

As for Roxio Easy DVD Copy, think of it as a CloneDVD2 with DVD Shrink built into it. So if you are even thinking about buying CloneDVD2, I'd get Roxio Easy DVD Copy instead.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  7. flip218

When using DVD Shrink ... Nero is not a must. You can use DVD Decrypter to burn.

8. flip218

*moved from dvd-r for advanced users*