1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best sound quality/MP3 player for your buck

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by armenix, Sep 13, 2007.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

Thanks for the input Mez. ;)

Ok are these the JVC ear buds (marshmallows) you guys were talking about? link to JVC Marshmallows

I have the Skull Candy Ink'd buds and they do a pretty good job for the money. ;)

Thnaks again for your time and input.. :)

...gm

2. Mez

Mez Active member

The Koss Plugs 10-20,000 Hz are here for $10!
    Yes, you could call them marsh mellows. They are cheap isolation buds. The foam makes contact with your ear to keep sound out and transfer vibrations directly to your ear. Low tones transmitt better through solids than air. They also do better if the air and tones can not escape out your ear. The air is more easily compressed, banging your ear drum.

I do not know the model of the Philips he had but the base responce was a bit better. Anything below 10, 8 or even 9 is huge!

A bit about quality, because these devices use so little power most of the stats do not mean much except for the range.
    A young human can hear 20-24,000 Hz. By 25-30 humans do not hear above 20,000. We continue to lose the high end as we age. Listening to Rock & Roll can hasten that effect. Why are speakers that produce sub hearing range tones desireable? You do feel them. Thunder produces tones below 5 hz. At that range walls start to shake and if you go low enough the ground trembels. The problem has always been producing these sub hearing tones. Traditionally, they required massive amounts of power. I had some 4 hz speakers they needed about a KW to produce those low tones. At school, it would completly shake a 6 story masonary building. Everyone in the building could hear the music but because the music emenated from the walls, no one knew where the source was. I had only to records that produced notes like that, the Beatles Help album and Black Sabath's, Black Sabath's song Black Sabath. The first song on their first album. That has an amazing thunder storm in the beginning of the song. You want to hear a hi quality version to thear the rain drops spatter as they hit a hard surface well.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

here are the phillips buds that I have. they don't give any specs on the website but here's the specs off the box: frequency range: 6 - 23,500 Hz, sensitivity: 102 dB, impedience: 16 Ohm, maximum power input: 50 mW.

these don't look that impressive but I have tried many different model sony buds and these tore them all up. I know there are better but for the money, I'm yet to find any. the frequency response is very good, low clean bass and nice crisp high end. I don't care much for midrange (anything can reproduce that) and the midrange on these is not overwelming like with some. I particuarly like how efficient these buds are.

the JVC's may sound as good, I don't know but when I was shopping I was looking for efficiency and these did not disappoint. the frequency response was a bonus.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Hey Mort I forgot just how good they were. I have seen 20-2500 Hz buds for $200! I made a mental note a while back to look into Philips for my next pair. My wires are starting to work harden so I will be shopping for myself for xmass. My kids will buy them for me but I need to specify what I want. They have different tastes than I. I am really into HiFi. It is easy to upgrade but painful to down grade. As you approch 0 Hz the diffuculty to reproduce the sound goes up logrithymically after about 20 Hz. So 6 hz is very low.

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

6. Mez

Mez Active member

I had had my Koss Plugs for a year of heavy use. I have used them so much the wires are starting to work harden. They have taken huge abuse without complaint. I will be buying a set of Philips this fall just to check them out not because I am unhappy with what I have and I am fairly picky.

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

I found some JVC Marshmallows at the EGG... bought those and they should be here by Wed.... so we'll (I'll) know then. ;)

...gm

link to JVC HA-FX33G

8. Mez

Mez Active member

Try to get the stats and post them.

9. greensman

greensman Regular member

This what you're looking for?? ;)

Model
    Brand JVC
    Model HA-FX33G
    Type Headphone
    General SPEC
    Frequency Response 8Hz-23KHz
    Input Impedance 14 ohm
    Sensitivity 98dB S.P.L. at 1KHz
    Connector 3.5mm
    Ear Coupling Canal
    Cord Length 3.94 ft tangle resist cord
    Weight 0.11 oz.

10. Mez

Mez Active member

Yes! Thanks.

They have a better range than the Koss. They are less efficient and do not have the base of the Phillips. That is impressive to have better base and better efficiency.

I think you will love them. They deffinitly HiFi and are way better than the Maximo iM-390 buds. Now your job is to get HiFi music on to your MP3 player. That may be tricker than you think. Note: iTunes degrades mp3s to 128 BR m4as as it puts them on your player. That is part of the itunes plan to sell you music. If you could hear the difference between HiFi music and what you can down load you wouldn't want to buy theirs. I suspect itunes downgrands all music you play to 128 Br. The problem with ipods is they will not degrade the HiFi music when it is played. Therefore they degrade it as it is synced.