1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The bully on xbox???

Discussion in 'Xbox - Games' started by brownkid, Nov 22, 2006.

1. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

i know right? its rated T for teen

2. distorto

distorto Member

it is in my local blockbuster.

3. brownkid

brownkid Regular member

guys guys... calm down.... no need to argue

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  4. hemby642

hemby642 Regular member

Umm guys I played it yesterday and it is defentaly not banned i guess it is a rumor but it is not banned

5. brownkid

brownkid Regular member

Ok we all know its not banned...its just not comming out on xbox...

6. Zereth

Zereth Member

*gasp* It's not coming oout on the X-box?! jk! ^_^

7. brownkid

brownkid Regular member

well at least that wasn't a post about it not being banned :)

8. 2f4st4u

2f4st4u Regular member

ya never know it could come out just at a later time then PS2

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  9. brownkid

brownkid Regular member

im gonna go with with what rockstar said about it being a ps2 exclusive title

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  10. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

The whole "banning" bit is related to Jack Thompson's attempt to get it banned in Florida on that grounds that it's a public nuisance.

In the end, the Judge watched some guy play it and decided against JT since the game isn't the Columbine sim JT had made it out to be.

11. Zereth

Zereth Member

I heard that it was a bunch of people around the U.S. that wanted it banned because it would start violence.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  12. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

This is a silly little thread. Just cause it's out for the ps2 doesn't mean it can't be cancelled for the xbox. 2 different companies with seperate ajendas!!!

13. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

the 2 dif companies dont decide if rockstar will make the game for the xbox though.

14. JOHNSTARR

JOHNSTARR Regular member

The games was already made for the xbox and was scheduled for release (US: October 17, 2006) the same time the ps2 released it. During the end of september, microsoft decided to cancel the release.

There will be no Bully for XBOX and I will be sad for that!

15. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

Bully beats down October
    Rockstar's controversial prep-school drama will be released this year; source says Xbox version bullied out of production.
    By Tim Surette, GameSpot
    Posted Aug 9, 2006 1:49 pm PT

When the word "controversy" springs up in a discussion about gaming, the name Rockstar Games can't be too far behind. With games like Grand Theft Auto, The Warriors, and State of Emergency in its portfolio, the publisher has been the frequent target of watchdog groups concerned with exposing younger audiences to violence.

Feathers were further ruffled when Rockstar announced it was developing Bully. The long-in-development game is set in a fictional prep school and stars a 15-year-old boy who must deal with all types of high school characters, including geeks, jocks, and bullies. Players will defend themselves against other students with weapons, but the fight scenes don't feature any blood or fatalities, reports Reuters.

Though few people outside of Rockstar have even seen the game, opposition toward the game's release has been very vocal, saying that impressionable youths will almost certainly engage in copycat schoolyard fights. The game has drawn protests from the Peaceoholics, a concerned youth group, and the British police, both of whom called for the game's ban.

Despite the obstacles, Rockstar Games quietly continued development of the game and will release it in October, according to Reuters.

"Finally Bully can speak for itself. People can look at the game and see what it is and what it's not," Rockstar spokesman Rodney Walker told the news service.

The game was originally scheduled for release on the PlayStation 2 and Xbox but may now be a PS2 exclusive. A source told GameSpot today that the Xbox version, as speculated, has been canceled.

16. 2f4st4u

2f4st4u Regular member

alrite we get it its not coming out for the original xbox w/e

17. Zereth

Zereth Member

I know i'm just contributing to the going on but a Mod should probably close this before it gets really spammed up.

18. 2f4st4u

2f4st4u Regular member

nah i dont think they should close it at all but if they want to they could its just w/e

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  19. handsom

handsom Regular member

It doesn't. I agree. But I know WHY it was even debated:

Many of you are familiar with the name of Florida Attorney, Jack Thompson. He has been on the forefront of the anti-games movement. He is the most well-known extremist out there, he has made appearances on many large news networks, numerous times, and if you haven't heard him I suggest you check out VG Cats' interview with Jacko. This man has gone so far as to *FORMALLY* in a court of law, state that gamers are 'just as bad as child rapists'. Yeah, this is quoted from a US court of law! Some judges have listened to him, others have written him off. He was actually ordered by one judge, not only to leave the courtroom, but to leave the STATE! Unfortunately he has a lot more pull in his home state of Florida. He convinced a FL judge (Under what legal premise? I don't get this part) that it was a good idea to demand an advanc copy less than one week before release, and let the judge see it, and decide for themself if this game should be banned *to minors*. This is what started the rumor, misunderstandings, etc, etc.

Rockstar caved in, though they could have fought it, but it would have delayed the game a LOT. When the judge tried it, he found it no more harmful than reading Huckleberry Finn(Also a banned book by many school districts, why?), and pursued it no further. Jack Thompson had been parading around that this title was going to be a 'columbine simulator', making numerous public statements about a game he had never actually seen.

NOW, for the meat of this post:

If the judge had decided it was a terrible game that would warp the minds of our youth, and cause horrible travesties nation wide; he could have banned sale of the game to minors. This generally makes a lot of retailers stop carrying a title altogether. Stores like Wal-mart and Target won't carry such games, and specialty retailers like Gamestop and EB only carry some of them. It would have seriously hurt the game's sales overall, but it would by no means institute a 'banned' game. Also, judges in all fifty states would have to ban it individually, unless a federal ban were imposed, and quite frankly, the federa; judges have much more important things to be doing, than playing a video game that has already been judged and rated Teen.

That is how this rumor, which is completely false got started.

As for the XBox version, it was in side by side development up until the last month or two before release. There are several speculations about this:

-Sony may very likely, have pulled a GTA, and signed a deal for exclusivity.(Somewhat likely)
    -Rockstar may have decided that the current state of the M$ market, with two systems being released, and BC support being rather akward right now, was not worth their while. (Less likely)

The most likely is a mix of the two:
    It is possible that when Sony approached Rockstar with a proverbial wad of cash, in regards to exclusivity, Rockstar saw M$' current two system setup as a sign of bad market; and opted to strike a deal that, to them, seemed like a great idea; because the XBox market is weak right now. Xbox sales are down, since 360 released. And 360 is still picking up steam very slowly. Put together, it makes sense.

Will we see it in the future? Probably, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it being terribly soon. Maybe next Summer. I wouldn't mind popping it into my 360; but for now my PS2 will do.

20. Criss94

Criss94 Member

actully bully it is coming out on 20/12/2006 for xbox