1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The burning questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wuzzbert, Dec 10, 2003.

1. wuzzbert

wuzzbert Member

What (in your opinions) is the best software to use, where speed and simplicity matter but quality of results should also be considered for the proceudure of:

1)Ripping DVD-9 to DVD Recordable DVD+-R/W

and,

2) Converting a DivX file to DVD MPEG2

There are many different types of software available but I'm after some experienced knowledge so I can get cracking without to much trouble.

It would be great if lots of people could post there views to see which seems to be most popular.

Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  2. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Hey,
    Browsing through the forums should give you the answert to most of these questions, but in short:

1) DVDShrink - Free, excellent quality, very configurable.
    DVD2One - Not Free, excellent quality, not very configurable (you also need to rip DVDs seperately via DVD Decrypter).

2) There are MANY ways to do this. I use TMPGEnc and TMPGEnc DVD Author. DRd has written a guide that can be found at the head of this forum, and www.dvdrhelp.com has many good guides at your disposal.

Good luck...

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

wuzzbert,

You write
    If this is important to you - DVDShrink is not for you !

If in fact you are new and would like some information I passed on to anopther "Newbie" seconds ago and you don't wish to look for it, I'll give it to you Free, and have you Backing up tonight -

Another suggestion: Most standalone players will not play RW's - use the RW's to practice with and your "R" media for your standalone uses.
    We'll be using the same type of fioles your DVD uses -

This “Newbie Starter Recipe” is for the most part, is as a complete a package as anyone could wish It’s most outstanding plus factor, it only has 2 parts just 2.

It's second great factor, the guides are picture-by-picture, step-by-step, easy-as-pie.

We will start our dish with a main ingredient of DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5 –
    It's FREE, can do almost everything you could wish in as few as 3 steps - It will rip your movies (gets rid of that “pesky” copy write protection thingy ;-) in generally 2 to 3 minutes, it can be used for your smaller DVD-5’s and it also allows you to compress your larger DVD-9's to the necessary 4.36GB in order to insure a nice burn without encroaching onto the very edge of the disc. The finished product is sure to please with no significant loss of video or audio quality.

“But wait there’s more –“
    For those who like the backups “Their way” (a US colloquium, referring to a hamburger from Burger King) it also allows you to tailor your DVD’s however you wish. To keep in or remove audio streams menus, Director’s comments, extras and trailers all that is required is to click and drag a line (re-author), it couldn’t be easier. PLUS it provides you with a nice neat VIDEO_TS folder for you, perfect to have Nero, CloneDVD or RecordNow Max burn for you.

(Now it’s time to mix in the second and last part ;-)

Nero 6.0 is excellent with a lot of extras you are sure to use in the near future or consider RecordNow Max ver.4.5 or CloneDVD, both are excellent alternative burner choices. Actually, I use CloneDVD a lot; I like to watch the sheep.

A complete DVDShrink program download and step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/DVD_Shrink_v3_beta5.htm

A 30 day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

A Great Nero, step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php

They are great programs, extremely easy to use -
    Give it a quick try,

Enjoy,
    “P”