1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The College Crap Thread

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Auslander, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Polyarny

Polyarny Regular member

personally high school wasnt really the best times of my life. dont get me wrong, most of my high school years were good, but even though i've only been in college for a little over a semester, i already find that i like college way better than high school. i still see almost all of my friends from high school, so its not really different in that respect, and a plus, those people you couldnt stand, you have a much less chance of seeing them in a college setting than a high school one. plus i've already made plenty of new friends that im sure ill have for life, so all in all, college is much better for me. i think aus may be in sorta the same boat as me. plus every time i do go back to my high school, it tries to suck me back in and eat me.

*edit* @thecraigc
    yeah ive heard the plan referred to as a birds eye veiw, just depends on where you were taught the subject i suppose.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  2. billybob

billybob Regular member

Yeh i know that 6thform (kind of colleege) will be good aswell, but i kinda hang around with a bunch of idiots ha ha. But they are great, sometimes they arent, but it will be strange without them around. Also some of the lass's are off to performing arts colleges and stuff. Some are still stayign on, i jsut gotta wait and see.

Not all of the years have been good, hell no! But now i see that some of the "insignificants" are not gonna be coming to the same 6th form, it will be strange.

3. Polyarny

Polyarny Regular member

so hows everyone's college and school been going. mine has been fine, getting good grades, which is a change from last semester, and one thats making my parents happy. ive got me a new girlfriend, very cool. in addition to all that all else is well too.

when are you coming home again aus, better be soon.

4. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

awww... its been going cool-ish...

i've got a folder to finish in product design, also got my design proposal today :-( ... got a test in chemistry tomorrow, on nuclear chemistry, and an english test soon, on a 70 line poem... then prelims in 4 weeks.

but other than that, its great fun... kinda.

5. Polyarny

Polyarny Regular member

sounds like your a little over worked there.

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

here's the story:

neo-nazis marched on columbia today. through probably 2 miles or so of mizzou. i followed them around, almost got arrested and maced several times, and got some pictures (70 something in total, 20 something on my page here). check out the pics. ^.^

this is both a positive and negative comment on current society.

i love college.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

as of today, here's my class line-up for the fall:
    [​IMG]

the 10:00 AM Diff. Eq. class is full up, but i'm hoping that one person will drop so that i can slip in and start my day an hour later. ^.^

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

What is GN-HON? Physics, Calculus etc. give me a headache just thinking about them. I could go on forever though with such terribly useful subjects like ontology, epistomology, ethics of the behavioral model, cosmology (not to be confused with cosmetology LOL), syllogestic reasoning and all those other forms of mental masturbation without climax. And so I leave you with an ontological phrase which the early christian martyrs use to chant in the arena and which is an addage by which all should live:

AGERE SEQUITUR ESSE

9. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

is GN-HON not something like honors something or whatever...

anyways... hope you get the extra hour in bed, aus... :-D

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

GN-HON is kind of a general science class, with a little bit of biology and a little bit of physical science, only in the honors section. to stay in the honor college here, i have to have at least one honors class a semester, and this was the only one that fit in my schedule and kept be below 17 credit hours.

not only am i physics major, physics and math eventually, but i'm also in the damned honors college. oh headaches, i know thee well!

after next year, i think i'm pretty much done with math classes. maybe one more my junior year--which means i can start taking some astronomy classes around my physics and the undergrad research i'll be required to do. >.<

"action follows from being", ger? hmm....that could go a lot of ways, and i'm out of practice now, but i'm going to guess that you're leading to who we are defines what we do? basic logic nips the converse in the bud, though. :(

thanks, craig. i hope so, too, as basically i'll have a wasted hour in the mornings if i don't. here's to some smarty getting hit by a bus and dropping! ai keed, ai keed! ....or do i? >.>

11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Aus...literally, it's "To do followes to be." You're essentially correct in your interpretation; it actually means somewhat more but I'm too brain dead to try to explain further LOL! Pity latin died; it has to be the most precise language ever devised but it has grammar from hell. A 100 page book in Latin will take 200 pages in English to translate.

At the risk of annoying some people, English is a terrible language. When I was in the seminary many years ago, we were not allowed to study scripture, philosophy/ theology in English because of its ambiguity. We could study in latin, french, greek, spanish, german but not in English. Ironically, the Anglican British Seminarians weren't allowed to study in english either! Perhaps your fluent enough in German to know what I mean. French is much more precise as well. Most romance languages where actually just updated over the years as vocabulary changed... usage and grammar remained the same. As a consequence, 500 year old french reads (for the most part) like it was written yesterday. Words in english also change meaning as time goes on: "fearful" and "afraid" are listed as synonyms when they're not. "Fearful" is as the word implies but "afraid" means to come apart at the seams and run (like "fraying" cloth). You can be very fearful but not the least bit afraid. Earlier, I wrote that you were "essentially" correct ... its now come to mean "more or less" correct but its original definition was that of an absolute from the latin ESSE. When something was "essentially" correct, it was absolutely flawless. For this and many other reasons, philosophy and theology, regardless of denomination or nationality, were not allowed to study in english. If, in latin or french, I were to say "My father was born in Quebec" the grammer itself would also let you know whether or not he is still alive. Translating it, you would have to write another sentence saying that. In french or latin, pronouns like "They" let you know by virtue of grammar, whether "they" are men, women, or both. If you see a french film, there is no way the subtitles can keep up with it; the words included in the grammar, the precision of the language and the laison between words makes it impossible for subtitles to keep up with so when they add subtitles, they have to ad lib.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2007
  12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i agree that english is a ridiculously horrible language. *shrugs* i'll be heading to germany once i'm out of school, given i become fairly fluent, for a few years at least. if i can find a decent job there, i'll emigrate.

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Aus "emigrate" instead of "immigrate"....I'm impressed LOL!

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i have an incredibly extensive vocabulary, ger, and a pretty damned good comprehension of english; the only problem is that it comes and goes. >.< i can only reason that my mental inconsistency is due to various brain damage over the years. :-(

15. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

germany!? you into all the women who dont shave their pits? LOL

16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Radical Lesbian Feminists perhaps?

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

that's france, craig. i'm into all the hawt womminz that like to go for rides on the Autobahn. ^.~

*edit*
    had my share of run-ins with them, ger. they tried to castrate me. >.>

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  18. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

dude, you do know you're not the autobahn... :p

and as for the castrating... take it you got away then... LOL

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

and *just fargin' today* i realize that "Ich bin der Ausländer." in my sig should be "Ich bin den Ausländer." i suck with the accussative case. >.<

yes, craig, i'm gettin' better at avoiding the crazies and finding people that like fun. ^.^

20. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

finished up last year with a 3.36 GPA. yay for keeping my financial aid!

this is the end of the third week of my second year in college. i had my first physics exam today. no comments.

anyway, the physics major continues on. my courses are German II, Physics 2760 (physics 2, really), Math 4100 (Differential Equations), and GNH2461 (just a rudimentary honors science/math class). 16 credit hours, though it seems i'll be taking more like 12 hours a semester in future terms, as all that's left for me to really dig into are higher physics classes, and you can only stand so many of those.

still working to make it a physics/math double major--i really should see some kind of advisor this term.

i'm back, living in the dorms, but i am lining an apartment up for the next term, so this hell shouldn't be perpetual.

working 15-20 hours a week in the same old job at the reactor. got a raise to $8.00 an hour, though. and i get to do my homework. ^.^

if it works out, i may spend a semester next year in ireland. who knows? anyway, giving an update.

i wish our college-going members would pipe up. i know there are many on here, and i'm sure something worthwhile could come of this thread.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007