1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Complete Guide and FAQ to making a XBOX GAME BACKUP! LOOK HERE BEFORE MAKING "How to..." THREADS!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Quadratic, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Kkooly

Kkooly Member

Hey... new here. Great site. I recently modded modded my xbox and works great and everything I'm happy, but I have not yet successfully made a backup following your tutorial or anyone elses for that matter.

I copy the files over through WS FTP and then use the GDFIMAGE GUI with GDFIMAGE and then when the *.iso is made and i try to open it with roxio to burn it. It says its not a valid image. I dont understand why because every game that I have downloaded ive burned terough roxio so i dont think tahts tehcase... ify ou can help me let me know.

2. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Here's a word of advice:

[bold]Never ever ever use Roxio[/bold]

Roxio has caused more harm than help. I would delete Roxio, and download a free trial Nero or Alcohol 120. If you like it, then you should purchase it.

3. Kkooly

Kkooly Member

Doesnt matter... i have nero and when i sleect the image in nero all it does is lock up on me.... alcohol puts me through some wierd options and stuff that i never see when i burn games that I didnt make the iso's for

i know what im talking about when it comes to burner programs.... and how well they work with stuff i use different ones everyday here at work which is at Digital Systems FYI... roxio works fine depending on the writer itself.... and seeing as how the otehr 2 programs are acting up then i must be doing osmething else wrong.. i dont know much about backing up xbox games so fill me in on what else i could be doing wrong

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  4. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I don't know why it locks up on you, but I can tell you this. Some people have problems with Nero and other burning programs when Roxio is on their system. I know it sounds weird/strange, but maybe it would work if you uninstalled Roxio. It's worth a shot. I don't see any other reason why your computer would freeze when loading the .iso.

5. Kkooly

Kkooly Member

it was the gdfimage thing i was using ... im using qwix now instead... and it works..... it made the iso much faster and it works with roxio... and the game works fine... so yeah... i guess watch out for certain versions of gdf or just use qwix

6. langy

langy Guest

i might seem a bit dumb but whats modded is that like gettin it chipped

7. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

That's one of two ways to mod your xbox. The other way is to "softmod" your xbox, by using your memory card to use a bios flash executable that runs through certain games. Softmods are becoming more and more popular, since it hardly requires any work and is less of a hassle.

8. cbruce

cbruce Member

My xbox shows my ip subnet, etc. i can change ip and everything, so do i still need evox or another dashboard to ftp into it?
    What kind of xbox is better?
    1. the ones that came out first
    2. the re-released ones

9. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

1) More modern chips like the Xecuter 3 CE support FTP even without a dashboard. However, you won't be able to get very far without one, so it is suggested that you keep evox or whatever dashboard you have.

2) The first versions are classic, but also old. If you can, I would suggest getting a newer one, because it's less dusty, less used, and the dvd rom drive is more than likely better.

10. cbruce

cbruce Member

Ya, thats the weird thing!! I have MSDASH on this xbox, the default dashboard! So why can i change my ip when other ppl need evox?

(I just figured something out! It dont even matter that i know the ip, cuzz i need the username and password to get into it!)

Thanks anyway!

But my xbox says i have 50,000 blocks available, and i put like a few hundred songs on there and the number doesnt even change!
    (347 songs to be exact)

11. xMoldx

xMoldx Member

when i ftp into my xbox and try to create a new folder in the F drive it wont let me
    i created a Games folder on my desktop then tried to copy it to the F drive then it showed the transfer in the bottom left corner of the flash fxp window and then there was a red x next to it and it wouldnt transfer over. i was able to transfer it into the E and Z .

12. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

The standard xbox drive doesn't have disc space partioned to the F: drive. When you install a newer hdd, you have the option of doing that.

13. halofan54

halofan54 Member

arg... everything so expensive does anyone have a link that can get me the newest xecuter chip with lcd panel under 80.00 dollars? or a premodded xbox with that and a 120 gb hardrive or higher for under 150.00? if so please tell me where 2 get thank you

14. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@cbruce

If you use another dash like EvoX or Avalaunch you would probably see the actual size remaining. MS Dash will no disply a different free space count until you actually go be 50,000 blocks.

15. cbruce

cbruce Member

thanks, i now have 500 songs on my xbox and alot og gamesaves and the number wont even go down! well i'd like to thank everyone here that helped me softmod xbox's, now im doing a small business softmodding xbox's for 50-100 dollars each xbox!

16. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Glad I could help.

17. Julia27

Julia27 Member

Couple questions: 1) Ball park...how many American dollars are we looking at to purchase all this hard and software to burn the XBOX games? 2) Can I burn them and put them on DVD-r or whatever, or just put them on the hard drive to the XBOX or both? 3) Where do I go to have the thing modded and for the dashboard, and for the flash? 4) Are there any websites that have games to download or do you pretty much just use actual xbox cds (I know they're not cds, but you know what I mean I guess?

18. Julia27

Julia27 Member

Oh, and one more question. I can't remember where I saw this, or what exactly it said, but, a few threaders made comment about somehow ruining your xbox by installing something having to do with the mod, maybe with the word soft in it as opposed to the other type of mod. Is this making sense. What I would like to know is, there a way to actually permanently damage your xbox, I'd like to prevent that. Oh, and is an xbox the same as an ipod in the sense that you download music onto it rightrA?

19. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

1) It depends on what kind of mod you're doing. A softmod, at the most,c osts about $50 bucks. Now, this isn't including the tools (Torx 10 and 20 screwdrivers) and such that you need to open your xbox. A good modchip starts at about $70.

2) You can burn the xISO onto DVD-R with a dvd burner. You can also put them on your xbox if you have a [bold]larger[/bold] harddrive than the standard. If you only have the standard then you will only be able to fit about 2 games on it.

3) There are certain shops that do mod xboxes, but mostly it's just online sites that ship xboxes out already modded.

4) There are sites that you can download games from, but we don't promote piracy. It's more fulfilling if you learn how to backup games yourself. It's part of the entire experience.

1) Softmod is modding your xbox via a memory card exploit through certain games. This process does not require you to actually open your xbox, which is why it is more preferred by people who have no experience in this area.

2) An actual modchip requires you to open your xbox, and take everything out. This would require Torx 10 and 20 screwdrivers and you need soldering experience as well (there is a solderless mod chip, but there has been problems with it).

20. Julia27

Julia27 Member

how do you know if your xbox is already moded? i bought mine used.