1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Complete Guide and FAQ to making a XBOX GAME BACKUP! LOOK HERE BEFORE MAKING "How to..." THREADS!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Quadratic, Dec 30, 2004.

1. pulserock

pulserock Member

I have a Phillips dvd drive on my box, and im using DVD-R

Help lol!

2. dide_101

dide_101 Member

Hmmm... they're even worse

well... You should try and not check your xbox reader byt your dvd driver that could be the source of the problem. Try using a different burner that may be the reason you can't get the files to run.

3. dide_101

dide_101 Member

ya i'm kind of cheap is this software free? lol

4. varnull

varnull Guest

Yes qwix is free

Nothing wrong with the samsung 605b drives.. my 2001 made are both still working perfectly.

5. dide_101

dide_101 Member

Dang sux

It's so close my dvd has a capicity of 4 482 mbs but the file is 4 669 mbs

Is there a chance of it being compressed even more...just a little

6. dide_101

dide_101 Member

No not quite

for example (I have a samsung drive) the tend to jam up at random times and you will need to use the emergency eject thingy just to get the drive out so you won't have to play soul calibur the rest of your life.

second it has a potential of not recognizing some discs for example I burnt two Burnout 4 discs and each time it just kept returnint to the XBMC dash (not sure why I'm going to have to look at that after my exams are over.)

Although they are supposed to be the best of all the drives they still tend to have some minor glitches.

7. varnull

varnull Guest

First.. you can make the xiso smaller by removing the orig.xbe and update.xbe if they exist.. secondly.. you can have a look for the ending game credits.. not sure what they are called in this particular game.. probably something like end_credit.dat??.. It's only the end credits so you can cut them.. who cares if the game crashes when you have finished it eh? I can have a look back at mine and see if I can remember what I did all those years ago.

Samsung drives... they don't randomly lock.. the belt under the tray has a nasty habit of stretching and losing grip... It's so common that it's classed as a samsung stock fault.. even samsung burners develop it over time...

the 605f drive is a different kettle of fish.. fitted to 1.6 boxes (lots of the crystals have them) they are unreliable and prone to complete electronic failure.. sometimes they work fine apart from the tray open/close signals going completely astray.. to philips like complete and catastrophic failure dragging the xbox with it to error 9 or 11.

The samsung 605b is the best drive fitted to an xbox.. best media compatibility, best reliability, and exceptional laser life.. apart from the small annoyance with the tray drive belt, over 6 years from a dvd rom drive is good going in anybodys books. the price of a replacement 605b drive should tell anybody that...

But that's all off topic.. If you want to discuss xbox dvd drives I suggest hunting out Reinhart on llammas forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008
  8. dide_101

dide_101 Member

about that what software should I use

anything i try to open with says that it is either unknown or damaged.

p.s my bad maybe i did not word it right i do agree they are the best drivers but they have some minor glitches. I do agree with you.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  9. dide_101

dide_101 Member

when I extract the iso using qwix it goes back to the rars which it started off with... well I realized that but I want to explore the insides of the iso which the iso is not allowing me to do.

10. slvrblt

slvrblt Member

Hi,

I was able to back up my Dead Man's Hand game using this great tutorial. I do have a question, however. The backup does not auto launch. I have to go into the D drive and select default.xbe for the game to run. Is this normal or did I make a mistake? It works perfectly otherwise and I was just curious if this is typical when making backups.