1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Ryu77, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Johmem

Johmem Member

Oluvinu, I will attempt to help :)

What is the source? Blu ray disc? And what are you doing with the backup? (like streaming or HTPC or reburning)

2. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

the source is blu ray disc i own and i extract it and have the main movie file which is in m2ts format. i want to recode it to x364 and store it in my hard rive so i can stream it anywhere in my home TVs on the wireless network.. i already stream the movies i have but i want to be certain the quality is the best i can recode it to be .

i just want the best recode to have the highest quality video

3. Johmem

Johmem Member

OK, not sure where your streaming it to, I stream mine to a PS3. If you main concern is quality,and size is not an issue, you do not have to re encode, simply m2ts mux the main movie and the soundtrack you want. This is what I do with my non-VC1 blu rays. I only re encode VC1 encoded blurays with MeGUI to be compatible with the PS3.

If you want to reduce the size, I highly recommend Ryu's bluray profiles included in the MeGUI package in this thread. They are 2 pass profiles so they take alot longer than the one you are using, but do a far better job, especially at lower bitrates. I usually use 15000 as the target bitrate, and I end up with a file about the same size as the source file. Apparently you can go below 10000 and still get extremely nice results with a smaller resulting file. I use his "high quality" profile as even he will tell you that the Ultra high profile is overkill and takes much longer.

Hope this helps.

4. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

Hello, as far as size it does matter I want to store the best quality recode at the lowest size I can. I don't mind if it takes say 18 to 20 hours . I looked a few pages ...can you give me a link to ryus version of the megui with his profiles? Also, does he have a guide so I can read up and follow step by step so I can further understand and rreduce any mistakes I may make?

I put the files on my pc and stream to my other pc's and xbox360 and ps3. I have my pc and consoles on hdtvs connected via hdmi 1.3b. And stream off my main pc. I stream wirelss with a wirless "N" router ..... fast and easy to do save having 2 discs or it getting scracthed by anyone

5. Johmem

Johmem Member

The first post in this thread has a link to MeGUI with Ryus profiles included.

There is not a comprehensive guide that I know of due to too many variables I think. There is a sticky on the PS3 section of this Forum and this sticky are big sources of knowledge. Unfortunately they started over 2 years ago I think, which makes some of the stuff ancient history :(

I assume you already know the basics of demuxing and remuxing and AVS scripiting in MeGUI lol, since you already have encoded videos with MeGUI.

Regarding quality, it is subjective and also dependent on the qualinty of your displays. However, I would use Ryu's High Quality setting for Blu ray, and adjust the bitrate according to the file size you want. This is all you should need to adjust, because the profile sets everything else. I think I read that the bitrate can get down to 8500 or so and still be transparent to the original. You may have to run one and see what you think. Pick a source movie that is very sharp and clear.

I have an i7 OC'd to 4.2 and it takes about 2 hours for the first pass and 8 hours for the second.

6. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

hi ,

i went ahead and downloaded ruys profile...but how do i use them? i am not sure where to place the profile to use them within the program. and yes i know about the script creator and bit-rate and about the remuxing and demuxing. thx for your help i felt lost ..everyone i ask about this looks at me like im weird lol ..good to know their are others out here interested in similar things as i .

i just need to figure how exactly do i use the profiles after i downloaded them... i thought it would be a megui program with the profiles intergrated not seperate... please help ... i am so close lol :)

and i havea i7 920 with standard 2.67 not overclocked so i think it will be much longer than your 10 hour encode

7. Johmem

Johmem Member

Sorry, I said it was the first post in this thread, but I meant the sticky in the PS3 section. Here it is, I would delete your current version and use this.

MeGUI with Ryu profiles

And by the way, we are wierd, this stuff is definitely not the realm of the normal lol.

8. Johmem

Johmem Member

That link I posted contains MeGUI, all plugings, and alot of profiles including Ryu's. Just clarifying.

9. Johmem

Johmem Member

Posting to correct my link. Dont see how to edit my post. I managed to confuse myself too.

MeGUI with Ryu's profiles

refer to page 36 of this thread. 6 Jan 2010

10. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

Hello , ill downlaod the megui with ryu's profiles later today and run the recode at his high quality option like you stated. Is their a way to recode the entire move with menu's into x264 and place into a mkv container so I can have a duplicate of my movies? I currently do the main movie ,subtitles and dts audio

Question:
    1- can I keep main movie,subtitle and dts audio.....but have it with 5.1 audio? ...or do I need to keet it as m2ts to have 5.1?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  11. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

hi, just got home and tried to download the file from the link "Invalid or Deleted File " i cannot find the file. do you have a copy you can email me ? i can send you a private im and you can get my email that way and send the file. it looks like it was deleted from the directory.

12. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Johmem may have linked you to an old upload, Ryu77 keeps all of the links in the first post of this thread active.

Try this, it works fine.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  13. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

hi odin. i downloaded the megui with rys profiles and i deleted the previous megui i had after i downloaded this modified one. i now do everything the same as i always done and now i get error message when i use rys high quality. i have an i7 920 with gb of triple channel ddr3. might you know the problem i am having ?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  14. odin24

odin24 Regular member

If it's the problem I'm thinking of, the very first encode you do with any of the profiles, you need to set the directory of the log file. Currently they are set to d:\... which happens to be Ryu77's setup. Just set the profile you wish to use, hit the Config button (right next to the profile dropdown), in this sub-menu you need to set the directory for the log file. Once you do this once you are set... you'll need to do this the first time you use any profile.

15. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

Thx odin ill give it a try. Also I updated the megui the I got with ryus profiles. Would this have made a differance?

Also how can I recode woth megui and take away the wide screen look? I havvea 55 inch dlp and want to take up all the available screen size :)

Thx for your help as well

16. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

Hello Odin, i extracted the .DTS audio from the dts master audio 5.1 channels 4bits 48khz.core dts 5.1 channel audio 24bits 1509 kbps 48khz

just curios i don't know why the audio is in a fast forward state

17. odin24

odin24 Regular member

The audio sounds like it is in fast forward? What is the source, Blu-ray, or MKV/M2TS?

18. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

Hi. the source is the main movie file . M2ts file

I use eac3to..... I write "c:/eac3to 00001.m2ts" 2: "c:/ audio.dts"

Aany idea where I went wrong?

19. disk22

disk22 Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
  20. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Is the DTS audio the only audio stream in the M2TS file, or are there other audio streams too. Are you trying to demux directly from the main movie M2TS file? It is possible you are grabbing the wrong audio stream.