1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The damn Hp dvd writer 300c

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by msflsim, Aug 7, 2004.

1. samc

samc Member

im having similar problems,
    my hp dvd writer 300c will not write, or read cd-r's/cd-rw's. could anyone help me? thanks.

2. lllwiggin

lllwiggin Member

This DVD writer model is defective. If it is under warranty, call HP for a replacement. They'll send you a 400i. Do not email HP tech support, they don't know what is going on with this model. If your warranty is up, you're stuck buying a new drive.

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Good advice, i'm seeing more and more unhappy posts with this particular burner. We obviously need to start warning people. :>(

4. lllwiggin

lllwiggin Member

I suggested to HP that they inform thier tech support staff and customers about this problem, but I doubt it will happen.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Probably not, LOL

6. jskrip

jskrip Member

Having the same problem with my 300c in a Media Center. HP will not replace drive. They told me to do a complete recovery. Told them "No Way!" Installed a spare dvd-rw and it worked fine. Their comment was "It will stop working also. The only way to cure this problem is a complete reinstall"

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

7. lllwiggin

lllwiggin Member

Sounds like complete bull to me. Did they give a reason why your new drive would "stop working"? Either something works or it doesn't, in my experience. If you are trying to get help from email tech support I'd advise you to switch to phone. The email people are the lowest tier of tech support skill and wasted two weeks of my time. They don't know anything but how to follow thier tech support flow chart, and force you to follow it also. Grrrr!

8. jskrip

jskrip Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention that they said Nero has caused the problem with the drive. This was phone support and they also stated X copy causes this also. Which I have never used.

Jim

9. lllwiggin

lllwiggin Member

If you're new drive "stops working", then perhaps Nero really does affect the drive. However, if you wait around for this to happen (or not), your warranty could elapse - which would make HP happy. If the phone tech support people have something they want you to try before they'll replace your drive, you may want to bite the bullet and do it. The phone support reps seemed reasonable when I dealt whith them, and only asked me to try a couple things that failed before aranging for replacement. If they are blaming Nero you could also contact that company.

10. jskrip

jskrip Member

I just hate to do a recovery. It took me a few months to get it the way I want now. I might take the drive out and try it in another machine I have and see if it fails in it.

Oh well,

J

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

jskrip,

I'm with lllwiggin, I think you gotta "bite the bullet" as he so eloquently put it, LOL, and jump thru their hoops in order to get satisfaction from them. I also agree that you should do it ASAP before they claim warranty expiration, so sorry :>(

I just heard about this in this thread and I've now seen several posts in several forums dealing with this problematic burner. I think it's a lemon, and they are probably getting calls just like you guys from all over.

I seiously doubt it's Nero causing the problems, but if it is, then it's worthless anyway. As I stated earlier I have the HP dc 4000 and have NEVER had a problem, I just think it's this model burner. Also, it seems lllwiggin's replacement seems fine too, which lends some credence to my theory.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  12. jskrip

jskrip Member

Okay, the system is getting backed up now. So I will try to restore the system with recovery.

Crossing my fingers as I never did a backup or a restore. Man I'll be p*ssed if the backup doesn't recover and the 300c still doesn't work after a restore.

Thanks for the nudges to do this.

Jim

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Look at it this way, if it doesn't work, you may get a new burner :>)

14. hims

hims Member

I too was swindled by HP and actually bought their new software to get my philips dvd8301/44 burner to work yet it didn't work when I installed their new s/w. When I called them they wouldn't even recognize the philips name and told me they couldn't support me EVEN AFTER I BOUGHT THEIR PROGRAM. HP is one of the biggest SCAM artists around!!

15. jskrip

jskrip Member

Well after partial backing up my system, I had enough and just quit doing it. I had to many huge video files that I couldn't chance. I waited about ten days and called HP and told them I did a complete restore and the drive was still having problems. The tech stated "no problem" and sent me a new model. Then she even told me she had never seen one model affected by Nero. I received the Lite-On unit today and istalled an no problem.

The 300C went into a new computer to try it and it still didn't read cd-r's.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Hopefully this one will last until I get a DL model.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  16. tjmutlow

tjmutlow Member

I have a hp 400c and when i use xcopy, the drive locks up and i have to restart the computer? why?

17. tobingrey

tobingrey Member

lllwiggin,

Tech support has been a dead end for me with this same problem. I can't seem to get past the serial number. There isn't one located on the label, and Nero's tools gives me one that HP's tech support said isn't an HP serial # because it doesn't begin with the correct letter. Seems they've found a way to not support the product. It isn't even listed on the web sits support anywhere. Makes ya wonder if the new motto is "If we denie its existance, we don't have to support it."

18. lllwiggin

lllwiggin Member

tobingrey, there are several labels, serial numbers, and manufacturers involved in this. Your post wasn't specific enough for me to be much help. Did you buy your computer from HP, or just the drive? How long ago? etc

19. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

20. tobingrey

tobingrey Member

I bought just the drive at a local retailer about a month ago, so now all I have on hand is the drive itself of course. According to the images of labels at HP, where the serial is supposed to be, just below the Model #, I have a Part # instead. there is no reference to a serial # anywhere on the drive that I can find. Nero's info tool shows a serial #, but it doesn't match any of HP's known formats for a valid serial #.