1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Differencs Between a P4 cpu and a AMD Athlon XP cpu

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by caza125, Apr 24, 2005.

1. caza125

caza125 Member

i would like to know the differences between a Pentium 4 CPU and a AMD Athlon XP CPU. What is better at what? Which is faster at what?

2. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

amds are beeter for gaming, and p4 have better times for jpegs and so forth...but to be honest, if u do a benchmark test on both chips with the same RAM and everything.....the AMD will more times then none benchmark higher then the p4... its just my opinion, i think AMD makes better qualty chips....

3. caza125

caza125 Member

how can the amd 2800+ be like 1.20Ghz and P4 be 2.8Ghz but still be the same quality in speeds?

4. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

5. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Good link jpp01uk. I think more people only like AMD coz there cheap am not saying there rubbish, not at all, i just think intel make a much better quality processor.

I will say AMD has done an outstanding job with there 64's

just like Intel more.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  6. Xian

Xian Regular member

I prefer Intel chips myself - a few reasons:

1) AMD chips tend to run much hotter than Intel in my experience

2) Again heat related, Intel runs fine with the stock heatsink and fan where every AMD that I have had needed a better fan and heatsink than the one that comes with it. That adds another $25-50 to the cost depending on what you get.

3) Yet again heat related, AMD heatsinks are a pain to install. I have seen one tech crack a motherboard, and several times heard the "crunch of death" where the CPU core has been cracked from the force required to install it. With Intel you just place it on the chip and flip a couple levers.

4) I find the Intel chips to be better general purpose all around. AMD might hold a slight edge in some games, but for video encoding or other processor intensive tasks Intel usually comes out on top. Usually the bottleneck in games is your video card, not the processor.

7. jpp01uk

jpp01uk Regular member

yes that is very true xian

ive always had pentium processors, and never had a problem with them

on benchmarking AMD do tend to come out on top, but i prefer pentiums for their reliability

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

me, i've used intels, cyrix, ibm & amd. i'm currently using a p4-2.4 celeron prescott

9. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

me im running a AMD 64 3200+ socket 939...

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Buyers market now, with that much variety, is hard to pick a suitable CPU now without thinking what if????????

I started out with a celeron, but upgraded to P4 much as the same reasons Xian stated really.............
    And yes I have also experienced the old 'crunch of death'......LMAO.

I have been running a 1Ghz AMD Athlon in my gash pc for crapping about on, and considering it is small, it does hold up the job very well, so I do have mixed opinions.

However I do think you need in excees of 2Ghz min for todays applications that are being produced, whichever one you go for............