1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dual Layer Price Wars Are Started Already

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by vurbal, Jun 25, 2004.

1. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I was at a friend's house last night and we were discussing the current prices of DVD burners. We happened to check out Newegg.com's selection of Lite-On drives and noticed that they have Lite-On dual layer burners for under $100. Now I know I'll be able to get an affordable dual layer burner when the media gets cheap enough to make it worth having. If I can get a low priced Pioneer soon, I may not even wait since I only have a 4x burner now. I don't think I'd want this Lite-On because I want one that's capable of at least 12x for single layer blanks (hey I'm upgrading - I want a big upgrade!), but this is a good sign.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-953&depa=0

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I was there the other night and noticed that too. NEC has one for $88. I'm still waiting for a Plextor though :)

3. vurbal

Yeah, I'm waiting for a Pioneer myself. I don't have the money to buy a Plextor, but I think that's the only brand besides Pioneer I'd bother with. Hopefully the Lite-On will be as good as most of their drives are and I can recommend it to people as a good budget drive.

4. Nephilim

Heh, Pioneer is the only brand I'd buy other than Plextor :)

Hopefully the new Litey will live up to it's heritage. It's always good to have an inexpensive but good model to recommend.

5. vurbal

So either we're both very knowledgable or we're both full of it 8D

6. Nephilim

I hope it's the first one!

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hmm! Perhaps a little of both, it makes for a well rounded person.

8. Bluchipz

Bluchipz Guest

Well I paid a little more, but I just purchased the Sony DRU-700A from Comp USA here in NY. It was $200 w/ a $30 rebate. My DRU-500 completely died on me and I tried a few other brands (i.e. I/O Magic and Buslink) and they both were acting really weird with Nero. I plugged in the 700A and it worked flawlessly. Now I am waiting on DVD+R DL media to become reasonable.

9. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

What would be the real benefits of burning a movie to a dual layer disc. I mean the Quality of backup movies these days is more than adequate, provided it's done properly of course.
    Dual layer writers are reasonably cheap but the discs would have to almost match the price of a good dvd-r for it to be cost effective.

10. Bluchipz

Bluchipz Guest

I agree, but I myself have noticed the difference in quality when extracting the movie and surround sound as apposed to compressing the entire dvd content to keep te special features. It degredation is substantial. However my wife is very much into keeping the special features and other bonuses that are included with the dvd. Tjis was my arguemnt to her in order to verify the purchase of the Sony 700 (the excuse of I just wanted it, needed to be improved upon). :^D

11. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

You mean you told her that you were buying it?
    Couldn't you just sneak it into the case and claim that you have had it for ages.
    That's what my wife does with her new clothes.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Bluchipz

It is possible using the right software to do some serious trimming bring down the fiie size of a moive and still keep the menus and extras. I use DVDremake to accompolish this task and then I use DVDrebuilder with Cinema Craft Encoder to insure a great backup. A bit on the slow side so I use it only with very large files. and I do the encoding just before going to bed.

[bold]That's what my wife does with her new clothes.[/bold] My wife does that too and what's worse is they don't think we know.

13. leondim77

leondim77 Guest

I bought the NEC.
    It does the job and produced DVD+R and DVD-R paly on all Standalones i have tested.
    Cheap as well

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

15. MJPByron

MJPByron Member

The NEC ND-2500 and ND-2510 are good dual layer burners as well. I can't sing their praises enough; they burn PS2 backups like magic and they're +/- RWs as wll. I got mine off of Newegg for $60 on sale, free shipping. ^^ They do great PS2 and DVD backups both.