1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the exercise thread.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by darthnip, Jul 14, 2006.

1. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

here, talk about exercising, getting ripped, feeling the burn, being buff, tightening up your glutes, etc, etc.

2. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

i wonna get ripped, but im just too lazy.
    the most excerise i get is walking up my stairs, and incredibly im still skinny!!

i just there was some mirical word u couls say 3 times in the mirror and suddenly be ripped!!

[edit] thinking of starting soon though

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  3. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

I got a cross-trainer in my bedroom. I used it pretty much every day up until Wednesday, but I'm crippled at the moment. I stay in decent shape -- no David Hasselhoff by any strech, but I'm just normal shape.

But if you are trying to lose weight/ keep in shape, nothing beats the cross trainer.. works major leg muscles, arse, stomach muscles and major arm muscles all in one hit.

4. ireland

ireland Active member

I did my exercise to day I lifted 2 big,big macs off me belly to me mouth while laying on the couch…..and got a wee burn when I spilled a wee bit of coffee on me neck trying to drink me coffee.....

[​IMG]

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@Lethal_B
    I use one of those too - Nordic Track brand (don't even know if they're still around).
    Have a few other pieces like a treadmill and stuff but the cross trainer like you said does it all in one shot. Great workout.

Now what I'd like to add to my little gym is a bowflex. On my wish list.

After looking at that pic ireland I think it may be time to ride up the street to McD's.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

by car or bike?

7. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

lol - car :)
    Actaully I could always have my dog drag me there. Controlling him once he smells food would be a workout in itself.

8. gamename

gamename Regular member

go with free weights. i have a weider olympic bench with 750lbs of weights (im not sure what that is in metric). i was doing good untill i had to pick up a 32 inch sony tv , and no it wasnt a flat panel either. i dislocated my shoulder. the guy from time warner said he couldnt lift anything over 20 lbs, so much for cable tv huh.as for ireland, i dont think hes from ireland. i thnk hes from another planet and he just monitors the internet and f***s with us.

9. ireland

ireland Active member

gamename

Ye guess my secret..but i will not tell ye what planet i am from...

[​IMG]

at that its time for more exercise ...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. gamename

gamename Regular member

thats cool...but could i please have my eyes back? by the way, do u have any eye drops?

11. ireland

ireland Active member

yes i do have some,[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Sorry but McDonalds does not tempt me one bit. It looks and smells like dog food.. But I'm a sucker for the shakes :)

I prefer Burger King.. (You know, burgers with MEAT in :)

13. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

I hate Burger King's burgers. Like thier fries though.....But if you want real fast food...Wendy's is the way to go.

14. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

In the states this would be a good thing Lethal....lmao

I really can't do any lifting because I messed up my rotator cuff from 13 years of playing tennis through JHS, HS and college. It's starting to bother me as I get older, may have to look into some surgery.

15. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

Ive been using my benchpress even more, more reps. Ive been wanting to do more cardio exercises. Ill start running 2 miles everyother day, and swimming laps more often. Im trying to get toned and lose weight. Ive also gave up drinking soda occasionally at home. Diet Sodas/water and gatorade when at work and running.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  16. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

@ gamename We used to have a 27" Sony triniton TV, whoa that beast weighed maybe 200 pounds? I would say. We got out new Sony 50" LCD projection and it weighs 75lbs haah

17. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

Bowflex's are a rip off. My friends dad is a chiropracter(spelling) and has a full gym of weight machines, and free weights, can work on all muscle groups, he said wiht a blowflex you can't workout all muscles in some muscle groups.

18. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member

Binkie,

I bought a BowFlex about 2 weeks ago (Ultimate XTLU). It is truely an amazing piece of equipment. I spent many years at gyms using both Nautilus and freeweights, and I can honestly say I have never had such an intense workout. The resistance is unusual in that with free or Nautilus you have more resistance from the get go, but once momentum begins it is lighter. This causes many "macho men" at the gym to throw the weight for momentum, and to impress the ladies. Of course, this is poor practice from a training standpoint, and even more importantly from a personal safety standpoint ;). The Bowflex is extremely consistant throughout it's travel, making throwing or jerking the resistance a futile effort. Interestingly enough, even though the workout is intense and tiring, I don't hurt afterwards like I do when I use frees or Nautilus. And the results are impressive, and visibly obvious after just 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sean,

I disagree. It is almost impossible to own enough pieces of equipment to get all the exercises you can in a BowFlex. My machine has over 90 exercises, and I assure you, it will target every muscle in the body, with more than just 1 exercise per muscle group.

Cutting out soda is a good idea, but I also suggest drinking ALOT of really cold water. Many personal trainers will suggest 4 64 ounce glasses a day. I drink that much, but I work in the outdoor heat. For those that don't, I would guess that may be a bit excessive.

I am not sure how old you are, but sometimes more reps isn't a good thing for weight loss. As we get older, our bodies tend to shift the weight storage from muscle mass to fat. The best way to counter this is to develop muscle, not push for long lean muscle like when we are younger. I suggest pushing harder with more weight, less reps, and longer breaks between sets. Generally 8-10 reps and make sure your weight causes total muscle failure at 10 reps, no more, or else add 5 more pounds or 5%, whichever is greater. More muscle also means our metabolism and ability to burn fat increases as we get older. When you get the wieght and tone you desire, push for more reps and less weight. However, if you are over 30 the less weight/more reps will take forever to achieve your desired results.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  19. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

I see, i guess im not as imformed as well that the blowflex is really that good. Im only 15, ill take your advice and add some more weight and do less reps and more break time. Yeah i drink about 1L and 24oz a day, which translates into 54oz just at work, but only maybe some 20oz cups at home, thats alot of water 256oz i think, i bet i could drink that.

20. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

Also, is it bad to work out during the night time, well just pushups and crunches? And dumb bells. Cause i heard at nighttime thats when your muscles start repairing themselves from when you tear them during the day. Like it will make you sore the next day and achey.