1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the exercise thread.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by darthnip, Jul 14, 2006.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member

Sean, typically your muscles repair when they are not being used. That is why I said long waits between sets. When you lift heavy for power push it hard like I said above, and watch your form. From start of your motion to the full extention ( for example let's say benches, from your chest to arm extention) it should take 3 seconds, and returning to start from extention, another 3 seconds. The long breaks (say 3-4 minutes or so) between sets are for muscle repair. It forces quick repair and therefore growth. I always lift later in the evening, between 7 and 8. But on weekends I lift around 4 or 5. I work 3 days on, 1 day off.

However, the majority of muscle repairation occurs when we sleep, so evening workouts are perfectly fine ;).

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@sandt38
    Txs for the info on the Bowflex! It looks sweet too. I have only heard good things about it - it would definitely blow my universal away!
    I have a few different pieces of equipment that I rotate - mostly cardio w/ strength training.
    One day I have got to get a Bowflex to complete my mini gym.

Great workouts tips too!

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Lethal ... how's the knee buddy? You doing o.k.?

4. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Hi Gerry :)

Yeah, the knee is doing just fine thanks bud. I got a pair of crutches, as it is very swollen atm, but I am still more mobile than I expected to be. They reckon it will take 8 months+ for me to make a full recovery, but I should be walking comfortably unaided within 2 months :)

Cheers!

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

It takes longer to recover from that than I would have though. Only two days post op, I'm sure it is swollen and I'm sure it still smarts more than you'd like! How do they immobolize it; is your knee in a cast or some such device? Well, take it easy my friend, and don't be afraid to use those pain meds; that's what they're for!

6. emachine

emachine Guest

I need to go to the gym. But i don't wannna lol.

7. pyffy

pyffy Regular member

I joined a "health club" to get in shape last August, after my better half finally convinced me that "round" isn't a shape. I have now lost 28lbs, (half the weight I put on in 4 years)using cardio vascular exercise and a great deal of swimming. I feel so much better now, healthier and fitter and look forward to shedding the rest of the weight and more.

8. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

ive started 2 do sit-ups and push-ups and some other stuff now

9. Lethal_B

blimey, mind how you go..

10. lxhotboy

lxhotboy Regular member

I had the chance at actually checking out a bowflex for a few minutes and i was rather impressed on the sturdiness of the machine and the smoothness of the pulleys. Most home gyms that have pulleys have jerky motion and dont actually feel like a strong sturdy machine. I have always wanted to buy a bowflex to get out of the gym and workout. Especially now that i have a son and to workout at home would save me a lots of time. I am only 165lbs but i am pretty strong for my weight and my only complaint is that i am unsure about the actuall weight resistance they have to offer. I used a bowflex with the 210 lb. resistance and for my larger muscle groups its just didnot present much of a challenge. Sometimes i switch my workouts to really workout heavy with less reps and more weight to really concentrate on size. If i wanted to do 6 sets of 5 reps on benchpress there is no way possible for me to get a good workout with the 210 lbs resistance. I am sure if i were to purchase a bowflex and move up the resistance i could use it on benchpress but what about with leg press or squat. Would the 410lbs of resistanve be enough for my legs??? Hmmm. The most i have ever benched is around 300 pounds max, used 75 lb dumbells on bench to workout but i use to workout with around 400 to 550 lbs on legs press in the gym with olympic free weights. When i am lifting for lean mass it would probably be great but when i am lifting to max out, or doing those heavy low rep sets, would a bowflex really be a good gym.

Anyone else had a bowflew experience??
    Especially someone who likes to lift heavy.

11. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member

I'll bet it will be enough. I got the whole enchilada, to 410 pounds. The resistance is extremely linear, unlike freeweights. When lifing freeweight the real resistance is at the get go, not through the entire extention. The powerrods do not allow you to develop momentum through the lift. Interestingly enough it is completely exhausing to lift with it, but my muscles never seem fatigued the next day. I assume it is because the linear resistance, and the entire muscle being worked with each lift, rather then the portion of the muscle at the initiation of the lift.

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Quote (Lethals' first post);

"I got a cross-trainer in my bedroom"

I've got a cross-dresser in my bedroom, does that count?

Exercise is far to energetic for me, I do enough running around at work!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  13. janrocks

janrocks Guest

@ Pulsar.. What have you been doing to get the furniture angry?
    (actually thinking about it I don't want to know....Your bedroom antics are none of my concern.. lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2006
  14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

...well their mine ... we want to know everything Pulsar!

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

It is cross because I jump off the wardrobe & not the dresser in my bedroom Olympics routine!!

Truly a sight to behold!

LMAO!!

16. Lethal_B

I pretty much can't move let alone exercise, so I am eating like a rabbit in order to remain 12st. It's killing me!

17. andersg

andersg Regular member

I agree with what thecraigc said lol
    I do pushups and situps sometimes when I feel energetic and healthy

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  18. LexZ

LexZ Guest

OHHHH SWEET thread i am 16 but when i was about 14 I was HUGE i did not want to go to high school looking like chris farley so i lost 45 LBS! and gained about 15 of pure muscle i love to work out i take classes on strength and conditioning and i like to show off how much i can lift to the ladies. i just gotta get better with free weights my form is HORRIBLE

19. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

I'm a shlub myself.I don't work out no more but I used to when I was younger before I got tmj syndrome and a chest injury.

I might give it a shot.The weight bench was taking up to much room so I got rid of it.My punching bag collapsed and can't be fixed.I walk alot though.

I guess I don't really have great luck but hey look on the bright side maybe god is trying to tell me I'll never be ripped lol. :)

I'm not fat either.Strange cause I eat like a cow.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  20. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Just do like me and drink lots of beer and walk home bacause the taxi money is better spent over the bar!.. Food?? who needs it?