1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the exercise thread.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by darthnip, Jul 14, 2006.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what & loose your girlish figure!!??

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

150 crunches a day plus doing pushups three times a week for me

3. andersg

andersg Regular member

Im almost the opposite. I do at least that many pushups but cant bring myself to do that many crunches.

4. lxhotboy

lxhotboy Regular member

Well i guess i dont have to worry about the bowflex anymore. I went ahead and bought a nice sturdy bench (decline, Flat, Incline and curls, Squat) with 300lbs of weight with olympic regulation bar. Already purchased anice treadmill this past christmas so i can run anytime i am ready. Maxed out at 230lbs on bench today. Got a long way to get back to 300lbs again but then again when you take off lifting for more than a year, what do you expect?. Now if i can just get back to the shape i was in when i graduated highschool 10 years ago. LOL

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  5. LexZ

LexZ Guest

i use eliptical 3 times a week 45min twice and 30 min onece and then i lift weights and bike to workand all other places

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I hate to work out and I'm not crazy about most foods that are good for you but I know I should do something ... so I read about it. I've read a lot of exercise and nutrition books. Knowledge is power!

7. andersg

andersg Regular member

lmao! you see, to me reading about it would be more boring and more of a pain then working out itself.

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Jokes aside, I do walk a very brisk 6-10 miles a day though. Although I often walk with a cane, I still walk very fast (usually lol!) Having had a lot of spinal surgery, walking like that is really good for the back (and therefore the legs) and it makes all the difference with me. I live just far enough from the office that walking and taking the bus takes an equal amount of time. I do need to start other types of exercise though but I've got to be very careful not to hurt myself. If I did what Lethal and aabbccdd do, I'd be in the hospital for life LOL!

9. pyffy

pyffy Regular member

Some advice I found in my in box today with reference to exercise.

Q: I've heard that cardovascular exercise can prolong life; is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.
    Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit! so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!!... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're preheated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
    A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?

A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.
    Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

10. lxhotboy

lxhotboy Regular member

I really dont think that is true about your heart only being good for so many beats nor taking a nap to extend life. Just curious who wrote all those health statements and exactly what creditials that had to support them. Not saying it is wrong but that is really hard to believe for me since i am a nurse. Just my opinion though.

Normally a larger animal or in this case, human has a slower heartbeat than a smaller person. So is seems to me like if you applied that statement then it would be like saying since i am 5'6"
    170lbs with a pulse of 78 beats per min, that a 6'6" person weighing 245lbs with a pulse of 60 per min will outlive me if we both have identical health and live to the point that both our hearts just give out. Anyone else have an opinion on this????

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  11. andersg

andersg Regular member

I'm sure this is a joke, because

It doesn't take a nurse to figure that one out lol

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LOL! I like that guy's way of thinking!

13. pyffy

pyffy Regular member

Whilst these do sound rather informative, they were sent to me as a joke from one of my "fitter and slimmer" friends, from my old rugby club, who likes from time to time to pull my leg , due to my robust size and weight gain since I stopped playing 8 years ago. He knows I am working out again now and thought he would share some meaningful thoughts to help brighten my day. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused but hey, did it really sound that plausable?
    should have given it away <wink>

14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

No didn't sound the least bit plausable...but I like your way of thinking all the same LOL!

15. sandt38

sandt38 Regular member

Ironicly, I recieved an e-mail from a friend of mine with that joke. What makes it ironic is, she was in the Miss Fitness USA competition a few years back. She is was Marine too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. pyffy

pyffy Regular member

Hey Sandt, now if my friend who sent me that joke looked like your friend.....well I wouldn't be an unhappy bunny...WOW!! Now we could have done with her in our rugby team, if nothing else to scrub our backs in the bath ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  17. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

Well im only 120 lbs around 5'7... I am working out very heavily and eating as much as i can (my message to stop lifting is til i literally cant lift anymore or feel my lunch coming up lol) but i think i would gain a lot more muscle mass and body mass faster with a good plan. I currently only have the dumbell weights and a curl bar, but i will be getting a self spotting bench soon. If there is any sites to show me some good exercises for upper body (bench will take care of legs and squats) and some good healthy things i could buy to gain weight and body mass fast please let me know. Thanks in advance.

18. andersg

andersg Regular member

I have a bench but it doesnt get much use because it is one of those really old ones that have the cement filled plastic weights. It was a hand-me-down :/ I think if I had a newer more up-to-date one I would use it more. Most of the time I just Run, Do pushups and situps but I am not that set on becoming buff or anything I just do it in my spare time and to burn off some steam when I am feeling a little angry lol

19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Neolance...I see you moved your message! While I don't work out anymore because of a serious accident when I was 28, I'm not altogether inexperienced on the subject as I use to help design and oversee strength and aerobic training in the marine corps so I do have a few tips:

1. Overtraining is as bad for the achievement of your goals as undertraining. A muscle group should always be exercised to the point of total fatigue but you MUST NOT exercise that muscle group again for fourty eight hours! You see, this is the way that muscle mass builds: pumping iron literally causes hundreds of tiny tears in the muscles which take 48 hours to mend. The muscle mass you yearn for is actually created through the healing process of all those tiny tears. People often think that if they exercise the same muscle group everyday instead of every 48 hours, they'll increase muscle mass that much faster but they're doing exactly the opposite.

2. "Plateaus" ... People frequently reach a "plateau" ... all of a sudden, it seems that they're not making progress anymore ... they seem stuck. People often think that this is because the body is getting accoustomed to the "type" of exercise they're doing which is a falsehood. Plateaus are caused for two big reasons ... the body has acclimated to your SCHEDULE! You literally need to trick your body by changing your exercise schedule every two or three weeks. A schedule is important but you MUST alter it. So, say you're working out on Monday Wed and Fri (remember, muscles take 48 hours to repair)... take two consecutive days off like Sat and Sun. BUT after two or three weeks ... CHANGE THE SCHEDULE! Second reason is OXYGEN. You can only achieve a certain degree of muscle mass if you're not going to provide it with the increase in oxygen which they need to survive and grow...that means an aerobic element to your workouts.

3. Eat a lot of complex carbs ... but stay away from fats. Lots of folks think that a lot of beef or even lean beef is good for body building but even LEAN beef and other red meats have relatively high fat contents. Stay away from fats.

4. Fat will turn to muscle if you exercise: False

5. Muscle will turn to fat when you stop exercising: False. Fat and muscle are two entirely different types of tissue; one CANNOT turn into the other. Muscle is a dense inner tissue which is lean by nature and striated in a variety of ways to perform the tasks for which they're designed, fat is a surfact tissue (white adipose tissue) which has three functions: heat insulation, energy and mechanical cushioning. In short, fat and muscle are two different things and one cannot become the other.

6. Lets say you party and really pig out: you can burn calories but YOU CANNOT BURN FAT! Lots of companies sell "fat burners" when, in fact, there is no such thing. Its pure deceit. Have you ever seen someone who was really fat: they started exercising and eat a lot better and they lose weight, feel much better and look a hell of a lot better but guys complain that they can't lose their "love handles" while women will complain that the skin under the tricepts is flabby and behind the thighs. They never will. TV commercials that claim they can make you lose that are lying because, believe it or not: YOU CAN NEVER LOSE FAT you can merely reduce the size of the fat cells. You can increase the number or fat cells in your body but you can NEVER decrease that number...merely the size of the cells; the only thing that can get rid of fat cells is liposuction where it is surgically sucked out. That is why someone who lost a lot of weight will also gain it just as easily ... because the fat cells are already there ready and waiting to get nice and big and juicy again. There is no getting rid of them ... no "burning off" the fat.

7. Aerobic exericse is even more important for a body builder than the average Joe because muscles need three things two grow a)exercise b)fuel (your food) and c) OXYGEN. Greater muscle mass absolutely requires greater oxygenation. Muscle mass can only reach a certain point without the oxygen needed by the extra tissue.

8. Aerobic exericse again...why twice? The added oxygenation is also important for another big reason which often pisses people off when I say it but its absolutely true ...overweight is overweight whether it's muscle or fat...you're still overweight. Why is that? The average 5'10" adult male weighs 160 pounds and has five liters of blood. O.k. you start exercising and stack on 30 pounds of ripped solid muscle ... you feel good and look great ...but it's still overweight because whether you're of average build with 160 pounds or totally ripped with 190 pounds ... YOU STILL HAVE ONLY FIVE LITERS OF BLOOD TO OXYGENATE THIRTY ADDITIONAL POUNDS OF TISSUE. Adding exercise and pounds of ripped solid muscle does NOT increase your blood volume. That is why fatties get so out of breath walking or climbing stairs...too much tissue related to the blood volume which feeds it. Its better to be built than fat, a lot better, but my point is that you still need to feed that extra tissue with the same amount of blood as if you were of average build. So, if one plans to stack on pounds of muscle, you need aerobic exercise and the oxygen it provides even more than the average Joe.

Well, that's enough of my two cents and I've probably bored you to death: what I've mentioned here is exercise physiology rather than the exercise tips you seek but I'll leave that part to others but what I've mentioned is how your body will put that exercise to its best use....Gerry

Edit: nasty typist; I need a different sort of exercise!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  20. andersg

andersg Regular member

It sounds like you really know what you are talking about. Number 6 and 8 really educated me I guess the blood one makes sence but I would have never thought of it and the other thing about how the fat cells just shrink and are waiting to grow again sorta shocked me lol. I used to be, lets say "a bit husky" when I was younger :) as of now I am around 5"11 if not taller and wheigh about 148. I dunno how great that is but I am alot smaller than I used ot be, but on the other hand I am at that age where I am still growing and it could all catch up to me again soon enough.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006