1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fastest processor

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by IIRR, Jul 28, 2005.

1. dan1677

dan1677 Guest

It was meant to be my Arnie pose......although I don't ever remember Arnie having nobbly white knees!! Hey if you can't laugh at yourself then what's the point of it all eh!

By the way what's the difference with these Pentium 'Extreme' editions? A friend of mine tells me they kill all AMD's even the FX-57...which I just cannot believe.

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

@ dan, I am my own worst critic, to a point where people tell me not to be too hard on myself. Laughter is without doubt the best medicine!

3. Molks

Molks Member

the gaming point in AMD's favour is more to do with what goes on in the space not just about drawing it, for example AI and a bit of physics. The athlons have more parallel pipelines than the P4's, and deal with the multitasking better.

I think tomshardware do some benches of the extreme edition and how it does really well in Divx and other HT threaded stuff to beat athlons.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040419/cpu-scaling-09.html

Looks like the P4s do very well at encoding and decoding again in XMPEG and "Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro" (40% faster than an AMD). branch predictions?

I reckon that at 2.9 the FX53 should have wiped the floor with the EE but still..

4. mariusz03

mariusz03 Guest

yeah those prices are amazing, f%#%k I can't believe it.

5. Molks

Molks Member

6. dan1677

dan1677 Guest

I thought the same......how random!

Maybe they refer to the prices on the Toms hardware link?