1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fishing Thread!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by saugmon, May 28, 2006.

1. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I know there's a lot of fishermen/fisherwomen out here at AD and haven't seen a thread dedicated to the sport.

So here it is! Post the catch of the day,big ones that got away,Fishing stories,fishing jokes,or anything else to throw in.Also throw in some pics.

I know Neph loves his crappies,and JimDandy loves his walleye.

Myself: I love to saugeye fish. Saugeye are hybrids that created from eggs of the female walleye, and the sperm of the sauger.. These saugeye are vicous,grow fast,and taste just like walleye-yum/yum!They are sterile,or at least 99% sterile-and bred for fine eating.They look nearly identical to a walleye. Big teeth,razor sharp cheeks-gills,and sharp fins.

I'm located around west central ohio,heart of saugeye country. Our local lakes are shallow and muddy.Avg depth- 6 ft deep and full of stumps. My local lake- Indian Lake- did have walleye stocked in years ago. They didn't take hold. Boy does those saugeye thrive there.All they do is eat. They are about to release 600,000 + fingerlings in there very soon. They'll be keepers in a couple years.

I got my limit yesterday by 10 am. Caught 4 in 20 mins.They seem to hit in waves. Catch 4-6 and wait an hour or two and get into another mess of them. The limit is six,and no certain size. I try to keep them over 14 inches on a few,but mainly over 15 in.

This morning,I took my dad out he had a ball. We lost 2 decent eyes,but ended up with 9 of them,1 catfish,and a white bass.Nothing over 18 inches so far,but I usually get the 5-6 pounders towards the end of june.

I troll-with a 6 hp nissan 4 stroke kicker. Using 8 1/2 to 9 foot salmon rods-gotta be stiff. Line counter reals.20-30 lb spiderwire. Planer boards. And the kicker:I only let out 11 yards of line when I troll.Barely behind the boat. That's all I can get out before I snag the bottom. Hard to believe only 11 yds of line is needed,especially when we were used to letting out 100+ yds at lake erie when we trolled for walleye.

I also use gps,just to keep the boat at 3 mph.My speedometer won't go that low.High Tech all the way.

Later today,I'm going to see if the white bass are spawning at a very small river that leads into this lake.More like a little creek.That is some major fun when you time that white bass run perfectly.

I'll add some pics later on. I've got saugeye to cook up and some to freeze! I've got a wild-true fish story to add in later,and will be asking peeps to figure it out.Very tricky!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  2. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

yeha i like to fish, i dont do it often. havent caught any really "big fish" haha .ive only caught small ones. heh/

=pepsimaxx=

3. JVC

JVC Active member

I love bass fishing, but haven't been much in the past 3-4 years. I have a Ranger 481V bass boat with a 150hp Mercury outboard on it. I used to fish a lot of tournaments, but got to where I can't afford them anymore. I, and my partner, fished a tournament, a few years ago, that ended up being shown on tv, here in eastern NC. We won it. We won $1125 each, which was great. I'd love to do that more often. Have won money a few times, but that was the most I've won, from one tournament.

I used to win the Big Fish pot, on a regular basis, in our club tournaments. Everybody started calling me "Big Fish". I enjoyed the competition of tournament fishing. It was a friendly rivalry, amongst all us fishermen. I have a few trophies scattered throughout the house.

My boat is 14 years old now. It needs new carpet. The finish has gotten dull. Livewells need work done on them. I need a new trailer, most of all. This brackish water we fish, is murder on a trailer. And the price of gas now! Whew! Outrageous! I really miss fishing tournaments, and pleasure fishing too. A friend and I went about a month ago. I caught one bass, that weighed about 3 1/2 lbs. Biggest bass I've caught in years. I hope to go some this year (pleasure fishing), but with gas prices, we'll just have to see.

If anyone is interested in a good fishing forum, there's one here:
    http://www.lunkerville.com
    Check them out. You'll like them. I post there once in awhile. My name there is "chub" (old timer's name for a bass).
    Enjoy.........

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

There's bass tournaments just about every weekend where I fish at. I try to put in before they start- 6 am. This morning,there was 10 boats circling in the small bay-just in front of the ramp. Then they left. We got in,got the kicker running and had to go through a 1/4 mile channel to another bay. All those bass boats were hogging up the bay-just sitting there. I had a heck of a time getting out,and having a lot less maneuverability with a kicker-I was pretty T'd off.

I get an occasion Largemouth bass in front of that bay when I troll there. That's a lot of fun. They rip off 20 yds of line and usually get off after 3 or 4 jumps.

I got 3 female white bass a little while ago.It's very late for them,but looks like good shape for the next few days.My gf went along. I think I spent more time unsnagging and tying on jigs than I did fishing, LOL. We had a blast!

I'm taking her out tomorrow morning. She's got her liscense now,so I can get 12 saugeye tomorrow morning. Alarm is set for 4 am.

5. JVC

JVC Active member

When I speak of bass, I talking about largemouth. We don't have smallmouth bass around here. Have to go to mountain lakes to find them.

There's just something about a bass tail walking, and throwing it's head back and forth, trying to throw the lure. Especially a good size one! I don't keep any bass. I throw them back, so they'll be bigger next time I catch it.

Good luck tomorrow...............

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

My nearby lake doesn't have smallmouth bass. Lake erie is loaded with them,and just a 2 hr drive. I don't think I'd risk taking my 16.5 ft lowe seanymph up there. That's the problem with lake erie,the water is too clear. Walleye fishing isn't like the 80's and early 90's. We use to slay them every weekend.

Zebra mussels,white pearch,the gobi,and other alien invaders are changing that lake. The water is too clear. Walleye don't like the light. They go find deeper water-and further away for us there in the central basin. Also have to use planer boards because those walleye can see the boat shadows,even when the fish are at 20 ft deep-they veer far to the side of the boat. It use to be a murky lake,and sometimes muddy. Not anymore! Too darn clear.

Those zebra mussels are all around the mid west.They are actually clearing up my local lake. It use to be a mud hole.The other day,I could see 2 ft down which is very clear for this lake. Even plant life is showing up on the bottom,which was non existance for this lake.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

New record today! My gf and I got our limit-12-of saugeye. Last fish in the boat at 8:15 am est. I've gotten 6 before 8:30 am a few times,just by myself. Most of them between 15 and 16.5 inches.The big one got away-about 18 inches or so. I only ran 1 planer board,and didn't have time to set out the second board.

Those sizes seem small,but for this time of year-they are actually pretty good.Usually we throw back about 8-10 small ones for 1 keeper. Now it's 1 throwback per 2-3 keepers.

Total for my boat since last wednesday: 30

8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

What about all those "sheephead" that are dying off in our great Lake Erie? I havent fished on the lake in years, jet-ski mostly, but regret I never went with my mothers husband last year. He was fishing on his boat by himself, had a heart attack, fell off the boat. Coast guard found the boat, didnt find him for over a week untill he washed up. Not trying to darken the tone on a good thread, I guess I just needed to say he was a "real" fisherman that wouldnt wear a life preserver unless there was a small craft advisory. Everyone have fun outdoors but take care of yourselves!!!

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Sheaphead dying? That is a huge tragedy, NOT!

God I hate those sheephead. Also known as freshwater Drum. They are good fighters,but bringing them out of 35 ft of water and expecting a walleye,that ticked me off.The last I heard,it was a virus outbreak killing them off. Other species have been reported washing up on the beach,but not viral related. I've even caught those damn sheephead in the cumberland river in ashland city tennessee.

Sorry about your mother's husband.My friend lost his dad up in mitchell bay a few years ago. A storm blew in and capsized their boat.They said he had a heart attack while he was in the water.When you're around water,anything can happen.

I had to go through a safety check yesterday and dig out my life jackets/throwable cushion/make sure the horn worked/distress signal/and other stuff. 1 life jacket had a small tear,and they voided it. Lucky I still had 2 others.I'll have to keep those lifejackets where it's easier to get them out.

10. JVC

JVC Active member

Congrats on your catch.
    Did you do a shore lunch, or take them home?
    There are fish at the coast called sheephead, that hang around pier pilings, that are desirable to catch and eat.

11. ireland

ireland Active member

a bass that feeds a ant,he caught
    [​IMG]

12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Those those sheeps arent usually trophies but I remember my dad frying some up then we dip them in warm butter and eat! The other fish dye off from the spring run off water that goes into the lake around Cleveland that creates a dead zone a few miles out. Stricter regulation kept this years kill lower than years past.
    It also looks as if they are introducing barriers to keep foriegn speceis out of the lake.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Ireland: That looks like a Rock Bass. That's a small one,but they are good eating. Keep those pics a coming!!! I want to see stripers/musky/northern pike/bass/walleye/etc. The more teeth,the better, LOL

Those sheaphead are originally from the ocean. Same as the Saltwater drum.They are even related to the RedFish,which are very highly sought after in the gulf of mexico.

The round gobi is also another threat for lake erie.That's another alien invader that came abroad via ocean vessels. The smallmouth bass numbers are dwindling. Those gobi are taking over their reefs and their food supply.

JVC: I cooked up a few from yesterday's batch. Ohio's lakes aren't exactly the cleanest lakes. There's an advisory on just about every species. Catfish and carp are some of the worst varieties to eat. It's mainly unadvisable for childen or pregnant women to eat. I usually eat it a couple times a month. You aught to see the reports for the Ohio river/maumee river for eating those fish/-very nasty.

Deadrum33: They put up a couple of electric cables to keep the chinese carp from reaching the greatlakes,somewhere around chicago? If the first cable fails,the second is suppose to keep them from entering the great lakes. Those carp are eating machines,and get huge.

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Here's todays catch:

[​IMG]

15. JVC

JVC Active member

Not a big fish, in this pic, but a big name, standing next to me.

[​IMG]

16. ireland

ireland Active member

17. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

JVC: Is that you to the right side of lady Di? LOL

Great pic!

Good pic too ireland, LOL

If I bass fish,top water is what I prefer. Usually local farm ponds.Rapalas always nail them.

18. JVC

JVC Active member

Yeah, that's me. Taken a few years ago. She looks like she likes my fish.

19. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've never had my pic taken with any celebrities. If I did,It'd have to be with Ron Jeremy/jenna jamison or briana banks.

Todays catch looked a little small. So here's a pic of a big saugeye I caught 2 yrs ago. I still have the same white cleaning board. This board is about approx 24" x 25" .

[​IMG]

This is the size that usually hits in the middle and toward the end of june. After they quit hitting,I'm pretty much done till the fall.

I got to go back to work in the morning. I actually get to sleep in longer-alarm is set for 5 am.

20. JVC

JVC Active member

The pic isn't real. I did it with Photoshop. Looks real though, huh?
    I've told people that pic proves you can't believe anything you see in National Enquirer.

My wife and I took a night Photoshop class, at our local community college, a few years ago. That was my final project. The instructor loved it. Everyone could only print out one copy of their project, on the school's color laser printer, but I was told to print two. The instructor wanted one. Everyone that has seen it, thinks it's real.