1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fishing Thread!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by saugmon, May 28, 2006.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea the little zebco 33 is perfect for starters... heck me and my oldest(9yo) went out saturday to a farm pound and caught 9. 7 crappie and 2 bluegill. heck the one bluegill he caught was almost 14inch. he thought he caught a whale...well on that pole it felt like it too..

yep we had fish for dinner saturdaynight...lol well i did he wouldnt eat them...lol

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

i agree, i think i'll pick up the little boy something cheap from sport authority

20 bucks perfect!!!

i dont except to have a good catch with him anyways LOL

[​IMG]

3. ilfisher

ilfisher Member

Hey saugmon I also fish IL all the time. Love trollin for those big lunkers in the summer. But Hunting them whitetail is my thing

4. JVC

JVC Active member

A friend called me the other day, and asked if I wanted to go fishing with him. He knows my situation, and said maybe I can take him sometime. Of course I went.

We went to New Bern. He told me the bass fishing had been terrible since hurricane Floyd. It's very hard to catch a keeper bass now, and catch more salt water fish than anything, unless you run way up the river.

We started out in the Trent River, not too far from the launch site. Within a few minutes he caught a 3-3 1/2 pound flounder. He kept that one. A few minutes later he caught another small flounder. Within a few more minutes, he caught a puppy drum. All three of his fish were caught on a white spinnerbait.

Then we decided to run up the Neuse River. We went about 15-20 miles up. He caught several bass that ranged from 6" - 13", before I finally caught one. Since a keeper bass is 14" and above, there had been no keepers caught. I finally caught 3 small bass, 12"-13". I had a blackfish (bowfin - garbage fish) blow up on a buzzbait and miss it. He followed it back to the boat. That's how I knew what it was. I threw a pink floating worm next to a log. Just as it was going out of sight, something grabbed it, and I set the hook. The fight was on! It pulled hard! I told my buddy, "I don't know what it is yet, but it's the biggest thing today!" He said, "it's probably another blackfish." I said, "it's fighting more like a bass." Well, it was a bass. He was about 4 pounds. One of the strongest 4 pounders I'd ever caught. He was the 10th fish of the day, but the first keeper. It was about 5:30pm, so it was after hours, if it had been a tournament. I had another fish that looked about 15", jump off. We both had another small fish, before we started the 30 minute ride, back to the ramp.

My buddy had been talking friendly junk to me all day, because I wasn't catching any fish, and he was. I told him when he started talking all that trash, that I'd get one that would eat all of his. He said, "yeah, right." When I did, he finally shut up!

We had a great time, just being on the water, joking around, and having wild critters pulling on our strings. Sorry I don't have a pic of any of the fish. I was so anxious, I forgot my camera, and he didn't have one. I forgot my drinks too, but he had enough for both of us. I hope we can do this again soon. It's time for the fish to start schooling, and start jumping on zara spooks! Glad I finally had a fishing story to tell.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Nice 4lb largemouth JVC. We used to go up to Rice Lake and Lower Buckhorn. Wander why they call it Lower buckhorn when it is further north of Upper buckhorn, LOL. I believe the trent runs through all sorts of lakes including buckhorn. Beautiful country up there.

The closest thing that I've come to fishing is the mounting of some of my rods to the garage. Batteries are charged,just waiting for the water temp to cool down and try some fall saugeye trolling.

My time has been limited due to the fighting with the ex gf,getting my wood shop in order,work,watching kinzie,and ready to have her 2nd birthday party this saturday. After this weekend,majority of my free time will be fighting for custody of kinzie.Hearing is on Oct 2 and I talk to a very good child custody lawyer this thursday. It's going to get very ugly. The ex gf-also known as ho bag- is gonna lose custody of her 3 kids,so should make it easier for me to get custody of lil kinzie.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

We're pulling for you Saugy. Can't believe it's been 2 yr since the tadpole was born. Happy fishing and Happy Birthday Kinzie!

"The worst day of fishing is always better than the best day at work."