1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fishing Thread!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by saugmon, May 28, 2006.

1. codydog

codydog Regular member

Yeah, I saw a lot of interesting things in arkansas. Alligators, alligator gar the lenght of the boat "nearly," too big for me. THe funniest thing that happened was we were floating down river, and saw a cotton mouth with a bull frog in it's mouth. My brother paddled up to the bank and wacked the snake with the paddle. Then he put it in the bottom of the minnow bucket, under the oxygen bag. Well, after about 30 minutes the snake woke up, "i imafgine with a bad headache, not that a cotton mouth needs anything to be pissed about." But it starts to crawl out of the bucket. It was at least 5 foot long, and I didn't really want to mess with it so I bailed into the water and to the bank. Did I mention,I don't like snakes?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Here's a cool video clip, of a guy catching a bass, in an unusual way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UQQBW1vozo

We call stripers...........rockfish, striper, or striped bass. Depends on who you're talking to. I call them rockfish most of the time. They are actually saltwater fish, that don't mind freshwater. You can catch huge ones in our rivers. Striper fishing and bass fishing are two totally different things. They (the fish) aren't even related, in any way. As I said.....stripers are saltwater fish, and a bass is a sunfish. When you hook a big bass, he/she will give up, before you get them in, a lot of times. A striper don't give up. Even after you get him in the boat. :eek:) A 3 lb. striper will out pull a 6 lb. bass. Most folks here prefer a striper for making a fish stew.

I won't eat a catfish either, because of where I used to catch them. I know it's in my head, but I can't help it. I don't care how clean the water is, he comes out of. When I was a kid, the sewage dumped into the river. You could stand where it dumped in, and catch 4-5 lb. catfish, all day long. A friend has tried to get me to eat some, and I told him........no way! He said he'd sneak some on me sometime, saying it was a different kind of fish. I told him that he'd better hope that I never find out, cause I'd [bold]hurt[/bold] him.............[bold]BAD![/bold] I mean it too.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hows it going my fishin buddies.
    eating the fish is kinda like any other meat you just have to clean it right and cook it at the right temp and make sure its done..dont get me wrong i wont eat anything out of the OHIO river either but we have the little miami here by me and it runs into the Ohio. some of the best fishing around in the right spots.
    we can go early in the morning and catch alot of 10-12lbs blue cats on a regular basis those put up a good fight.every now and then at taht spot you will land a big 40 or 50lb..... the biggest i have ever caught out of that spot was a 41lbs bluecat.... a buddy of mine has caught a 68 shovelhead.... that was a monster. the bluw i caught he just came on in faught for like a minute and thats it....

but for those big ones ya gotta have the right gear.....
    myself i have 2 shimano 6500 baitrunners those are the best for the river i think. just like a bait caster but openreel.and on one of them i have a Master 12ft graphite pole and the other i have my fav, a 10ft shimano GRAPHITEcompsite with the florecent tip. you can pull in a small car and not worry bout breaking it. plus on those to reels i have 30lbs and 50lbs test. the 50lbs test is the spiderwire =15lbstest microfillament just like a steel line..
    plus i have my handy zebco33 to catch my bait. chubbs chad small bluegill etc... well guess im done ranting here..lol gotta get them poles out and getem ready for some big boys

4. JVC

JVC Active member

@cincyrob..........
    I posted something in your shoutbox. If you're like most people, you don't check your shoutbox very often, so I thought I'd let you know, just in case. Leave some catfish for others..........

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thanks for the info JVC. i will start and check it more often..lol i out a reply in there for ya.

this is my baby here. its the 3500a i have the 6500a 2 of them
    [​IMG]

and this is the gran dad of them all.. 108lbs bluecat from catfish paradise in belpre ohio
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@saugmon
    i dont know exactlly what part of ohio you are. but i have been looking around online here and have found out that catfish paradise which is in belpre ohio, has just bought a bunch of land(with lakes)and has opened a second spot catfishermans paradiseII just outside of middletown ohio. now thats close to me i might have to check it out they have been open since last may.
    i have a website for it if anyone is curious. i know they say not to post websites directly in here i hope im not breaking any rules seeing this is a safteyvalve if this gets taken off here just post somethuing in my shoutbox i am checking it now..thanks JVC..lol

heres the site
    http://www.catfishermansparadise.com/new_lake_opening.htm

7. ispy

ispy Regular member

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That really makes me want to go asap.

Mercury is a problem in the lakes here too but I don't mind much. As strange as it may sound as much as I like catching crappie I just don't care for eating them. I loves my catfish though but since Alamo lake is a 2.5 hour drive me and pop don't have the time to go very often so I don't think my mercury intake even counts.

Your link is fine cincyrob. We don't have a fishing forum here so there's no direct competition :)

9. Nephilim

Those are some awesome pics ispy.

10. ispy

ispy Regular member

Thanks,My next trip is to Venezuala in October for Tarpon on the fly

11. codydog

codydog Regular member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Had to get them in the right order. CD

12. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Codydog swiped my old aD gif LOL

[​IMG]

Nobody can compete with ispy's world travels for our finny friends ;)

ispy rules,but I still hate you LOL

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

JVC: That's a cool video. Took forever to dl it because I'm on dial-up, LOL

cincyrob: I'm a couple hrs from middletown.I've been to that Bass pro shop down in cincinnati and it was very nice. Especially when you get down there during feeding time.Those fish in their main aquarium practically jump out of the tank!
    I like to go down middle town every now and then to the flea markets: Traders world and Turtle creek.There's also a Hustler Hollywood right there!!!!!!Sweet!
    That's a huge cat. Probably be like eating a rubber tire, LOL.
    8 lbs is probably my biggest cat,caught on a trotline in the miami river.

When it comes to spinning reels, Shimano is all I use. I like the Spirex because it's got the quickfire trigger and double paddel winder.4 of them so far.You can't beat the gears of shimano.
    I also got an older solstace which is about 15-18 yrs old and is my favorite for crappie jigging.I don't care for their rods though. Most of my latest rods are Cabelas and Bass pro rods.

ispy: I'll check out those pics later. I love watching tarpon fishing on tv. Those babies get huge and fight like hell.

Neph: If you need some bait for those stripers, Those 16" saugeye would be an appetizer for them, LOL

We rented a houseboat for a week on Lake cumberland kentucky.We went to Jamestown to the state dock to get aboard.You should have seen all those stripers breaking the surface around all those floating boat docks.They were monsters,and so loud-we thought people were jumping in the water. Only about 150 foot of water in that cove where the state dock was. Both boats broke down/lost 1 rod and reel/and broke another rod. That trip was a disaster, LOL. I also lost a trolling motor prop and marinas and stores down there didn't carry them.I go up here,and walmart has them! UGGH

Codydog: I don't like snakes either.Not a lot of them my way,but a few blue racers and water maccasins.

14. ispy

ispy Regular member

Hey Jim,
    How ya doing? long time no see,

15. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I'm real good buddy....How about you?
    I just had to rattle your cage just a bit...hope you don't mind....I'm just jealous ;)

Good luck with your next trip,I try to live vicariously through you and your trips, but it's not working anymore.LOL

16. Nephilim

Hi Jim :)

ispy, my uncle used to fish for Tarpon in Costa Rica many moons ago. Be sure to take lots of pics ;)

Anyone here ever heard of a Wels catfish? They're found in Spain apparently and the guys used a 5lb live carp for bait :p

[​IMG]

The pic is from a pretty cool catfish page,

http://www.carpecarpio.com/bigcatfishpictures.html

17. codydog

codydog Regular member

jim_dandy, sorry about that. I found it somewhere, when I was surfing. Funny how thing get around. The only good snake is a dead snake. Snakes tremble at the sound of my name. I know they don't have ear's, so it must just be the vibration of me yelling and shooting.

18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Howdy JD! Hows the walleye fishing buddy?

Oh yea. I've heard stories of them when I was a kid.It was in Sports Afield back in the early 80's. Some kid in poland was in a rowboat and hooked into one of them. He tied the line to his body and that Wels catfish drug him in and drowned him.

I've heard of 800+ pounders-that ones a baby! Now that picture looks more like half catfish and half eel. It could be the hybrid of cincyrob's 108 lb bluecat and codydog's eel? LOL

The pictures of those wels that I have seen looked more like-Front half was catfish,but whale shaped,and the end of it's body had more like a thresher shark tail. I'll check your catfish site.

Another edition of sports afield in that ere had 20-40 lb rainbow trout somewhere in britain. Some guy caught a 20 lb'er and ran to the nearest bait shop. The owner at the baitshop told him it was a baby,and some of them are over 40+ lbs.

19. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Here's some info on the wels catfish:

http://www.thejump.net/id/wels-catfish.htm

Even the urban legend of a boy getting eaten by one, Eerie!

The whale shaped catfish I'm thinking about must be another type.

20. saugmon

saugmon Senior member