1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fishing Thread!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by saugmon, May 28, 2006.

1. ispy

ispy Regular member

This is the 183lb cat my buddy Martin had from the River Ebro in Spain [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

cincyrob: What were them guys using to get those big cats at fisherman's paradise?

I usually snag some shad during the white bass run,but didn't this year.I don't even know if they ran yet. The 2 crappie we got saturday were still full of eggs. I had some shad in my old deep freezer for such an occasion,but the ex-wife got it. I wander if she found those 4 bags of whole shad frozen in there, LOL. They were 12-15" in length.

ispy: That's a huge cat. It would probably eat a 15 lb channel cat for an appetizer, LOL
    Did martin keep it,or release it?

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@saugman
    the 42lber was caught on a goldfish, and the bluecat was caught on a good ole nightcrawler. can never go wrong with that

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I can believe the goldfish,but the nightcrawler? It would be like a little crumb!

Here's the lake I fish:

http://indianlake.com/tournament.htm

cincyrob: You ever been to that bass pro shops store there in cincinnati? Very nice. The exit before the bass proshops retail store has a hooters bar&grill. My dad really liked hooters, LOL

We found that hooters by accident by getting off at the wrong exit.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@saugmon
    yea i have been to the bass proshop here it is about 15mins from my house,love to go there and take my boys the get a big kick out of seeing all the fish they keep asking if we can get a big tank like that for the back yard..lol.. but they are a bit costly on things there i took my 2 shimanos up there sunday to get new line put on them. i got roughly 350yards between the 2 reels and was $56. way to much but i was there allready so i got it anyways. plus i got the fever to get out there on that lake and get me a big one

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

6-6-6 today! Still got my limit. 2 at 17 inches,and other 4 at 15 1/2 inches. Also a nice crappie and catfish.I had my limit at 8:40 am,but had a 14.5 incher to get rid of.

I couldn't find anyone to take today because I was throwing back quite a few keepers.The lake was a sheet of glass up till noon. All by myself,and I enjoyed it even though I went 2 hrs without a bite trying to get rid of that small one. The big ones must be hiding somewhere. Lots of fish being caught by everyone,but still small. Full moon coming up this weekend,and I usually slaughter them.

[​IMG]

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Just got this fishing joke today. Thought I'd pass it on.

Broussard and Landry 2 guys from Jefferson Parish are sittin' in a boat in the swamp fishing
    and suckin' down beer when all of a sudden Broussard says, "I think

I'm going to divorce my wife -
    she hasn't spoken to me in over 6 months."

Landry sips his beer and says, "You better think it over - women like that are hard to find."

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Good one garmoon!

Most of my jokes are sick and disgusting. Here's a clean one:

There's an ohio city guy fishing on the bank of the ohio river. Across the river,there's 20 west virginian hillbillies. The ohio guy keeps yelling and calling them names like: Hey stupid hilljack,slackjawed yokel,and stupid ass hillbillies. The hillbillies yelled back and said keep up the namecalling and we'll swim over there and kick your ass.

The city guy yells back: Come on over! I'll take 10 of ya at a time.

So the first wave of 10 hillbillies swims over.The city guy dives into a bush,so the hillbillies surround it. They swarm and you can hear POP/POW/and a lot of screams.

Meanwhile the next wave of 10 hillbillies starts swimming and is almost there.

After the first wave hits,one hillbilly gets out and yells out to the second wave that are swimming over: GO BACK-GO BACK- It's an amubush. There's 2 of them!

9. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Lol. T'would be funnier if I wasn't from WV. Hehehe.

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You could always substitute someone from kentucky instead of west virginia, LOL

Here's another:

This country hick is the only person in his town that catches fish.The game warden goes up to him and accuses him of using dynamite. The guy says nope,and invites the game warden on his next fishing trip.

They row out in the middle of the lake. All of a sudden,the hick pulls out a stick of dynamite and throws it in the water-boom-up comes the fish. The game warden cries out-geez-that's illegal to do. While the game warden is cussing,the hick pulls out another stick of dynamite and lights it. All of a sudden he hands it to the game warden.
    The game warden looks at the dynamite and is stunned. The hick yells out, Warden-you gonna hold that till you blow us both to kingdom come or are you going to fish?

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

good ones

12. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

I'm gettin excited...

I just found out one of my good friends is what you might call an "avid" fisherman. He took me out w/ him the other night to teach me some of the nuances of non-catfish fishing. I didn't catch crap, but he was pulling out smallmouths and drum left and right. I had strikes, but crank baits are not something I'm used to...it's going to take practice.

Went the other day to a local reservoir, in the pouring rain, lol. Caught tons of panfish and a couple bass, no biggie. First time I've ever caught fish on 2 inch wiggle worms and jigheads. Had a blast.

I'm gearing up for several afternoons/evenings of fishing coming up...Greg used a cast-net to catch minnows, so I went ahead and picked up one @ wallyworld, as well as a couple nice bright crankbaits. Can't hurt, right?

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Those 1.5 and 2 inch twistertails work great. That's what I use for saugeye in march/april and whitebass during their spawn. When you hit that spawn just right,you'll have a bite on every cast. You do lose quite a few-so I customized my own jigs for the place I fish at. Little heads-big hooks.

I use 2 of those jigs on 1 pole. Cut about an 8 inch leader and 16 inch leaders. Put a loop in the end of your line. Tie both leaders on that loop. When you reel in,you'll see the middle jig dangling down-with the end jig following. You can even catch 2 at a time.

Make sure you get 1 that's got the firetiger color. Some orange/yellow/green/and black. I love those bomber model A's in the firetiger patter. Get the ones that got the crawdad pattern over the firetiger color.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

@saugmon..

check out my little cat in my sig box...

15. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Nice gif cincyrob. Phantom69 does some very fine work.

Had an awful trip this evening. Only 1 14" saugeye and 1 cigar.Ended up throwing it back in so I can get it next year. All the saugeye disappeared,nobody catching anything. Hope tomorrow evening is better?

I had the webmaster at that link I posted earlier for the lake I fish at post one of my pics on it, LOL. Bad luck ever since!

1 more day of work,and 4 days in a row off to put the hurting on them. Chance of thunderstorms all the way through monday, UGGH!

16. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

New boat record tonight!!!!!!!

17 saugeyes between 3 of us,all from 5 pm to 8:30 pm. Heck of a lot better than last night.I need a bigger live well.

I'll post a pic tomorrow. My 2 buddies had a blast. One of them has a daughter with leukemia and she loves eating fish. I cleaned all them up for her for the little sweetie.That made the trip even better. My buddy mike did the driving and he put up on those babies-real good. There's another boat beside us at the spot we killed them.One kid had a yellow shirt on. We must have pulled 8 of those fish right beside them, LOL

Lots of 16-19" fish in this batch. Hopefully tomorrow will be an awesome day.

17. JVC

JVC Active member

Alright suagmon! Nice catch.
    I know you guys made the little girl very happy! :eek:)

18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Here's last evening's haul-17 saugeyes:

[​IMG]

Here's todays catch-11 saugeyes. Biggest went 23.5 inches,18,and 17 inches. One fine mess of fillets!

[​IMG]

Horrible weather- 15 mph east wind,then got our butts soaked with 2 hrs of rain.Also froze our butts off. My gf tried to get into the boat and did the splits, LOL. Her leg went into the water and ticked her off.

19. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

I got about 4 sauger today, girlfriend caught 1 biggest went about maybe 12 inches. Caught something apparently called a "white bass", ugly bugger w/ big bug eyes and a funny lookin' nose.

Probably going back out tomorrow, gonna try to get some shiners...caught all but one today on a 2 inch white wiggly worm on a 1/16 oz jighead, which is probably why they were so small.

Anyway, have a good night!

20. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

TomMelee: The very first pic I posted on the first page has a pic of a white bass in the top right corner..

Time to hit the lake again with my gf. Full moon fever!!