1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The golden burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Mischa, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Mischa

Mischa Guest

hi, i have my dru-510A now....but its crap...much trouble....when copying movie. he burns ok...but when its finished the movie stutters at some point. this happens like 5/10 times.....so i want a new burner:)....but tell me now guys. What is THE burner now.
    I heared the pioneer A70....u guyz agree?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The A07 is very nice but your problem may be media related.

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If I was thinking about buying a burner right now I'd wait for a dual layer model. Of course the A07 is apparently capable of burning dual layer discs, but that assumes that someone will release a hacked firmware.

Also, I agree with Nephilim that the symptoms you describe sound like media issues so a new burner may not even be necessary (or useful) to fix this.

4. FAK

FAK Member

I have a DRU-510a and it works perfectly fine when bur*Cough Cough* backing up movies and also backing up ps2 games *cough*

5. Mischa

Mischa Guest

true...i have arita + now...hope this works better....
    but should i upgrade my firmware...??....someone knows a nice(hacked) firmware for dru510a??.....
    hope my new dvd's work better..

still....i wnat a new burner:)....sow whichone would u guys reccomand?...a07/107..(don't know the difference...or other one...)....
    fusk duallayer:)...i just upgrade firmware

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2004
  6. vurbal

Right now I'd say a Pioneer, Plextor, or Liteon is the way to go. Personally, my next drive will probably be a Liteon just because they make 2 sheep DVD burners and I want the additional features for CD burning, but if you don't care about backing up protected CDs it's hard to go wrong with a Pioneer. Their track record speaks for itself.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Learn AviSynth The Easy Way: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avisynth_tutorial.cfm
    Afterdawn Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/
    Afterdawn Rules: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2004
  7. Mischa

Mischa Guest

mm...i see all the brands....what of what type R u speeking...i know u mean the pioneer 107/a07.....but from the rest:s......

8. Mischa

Mischa Guest

and isnt there ONE big dvd's burner...that just is THE best...???

9. steve7059

steve7059 Member

I have a DRU-510 myself - just got it for Christmas. I've burned a few coasters on it, but I've always traced it back to something that I did wrong - not the burner's fault. (Just part of the learning process, I guess.) The main reason I wanted the DRU-510 was because it can write to -R, +R, -RW and +RW formats, and it hasn't disappointed me in this aspect.

I agree with Nephilim - your problems are probably medi related - buy a 3 pack of something different and see if it works out for you.

Vurbal has a good point too - if you're thinking of investing in a new burner, it might not hurt to wait about 6 months and get a dual layer burner. Then come back and tell us about it so we'll all be jealous! ;)

10. Mischa

Mischa Guest

:)...k...tnxs men!....

11. vurbal

I haven't looked closely at any burners lately since I don't plan to upgrade from my lowly Sony DRU-500A until I can replace it with a dual layer burner, but looking at the Plextor and Liteon sites I came up with the following:

Plextor: PX-708 (+R 8x, -R 4x) and 712 (+R 12x, -R 8x)

Liteon: LDW-401S (+R 4x), LDW-411S (4x), LDW-811S (+R 8x, -R 4x), LDW-851S (+R 8x, -R 4x), SOHW-812S (+R 8x, -R 4x)

I know that the slower drives for each brand are 2 sheep models, and given both companies' history with CD burners I'm confident that the newer models are as well. From what I understand, the Plextors are a little better for backing up games.

As far as a burner that's THE Best, if you only need it to back up movies, as I said before the Pioneer is probably the best. If you also want to backup games it would probably be the fastest Plextor.

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

My PX-708A handled SafeDisc 2.9 and SecuRom 4.84 very nicely with BlindWrite5.

13. ogryzek

ogryzek Member

I do use:
    Pioneer 107D
    Nec 1300A
    Optorite DD0201
    Sony 510A
    With Sony I did experience some 'hiccups' in the copied movies that I can only be credited to the burner itself.

Love Pioneer driveā€¦