1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the internet

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by doobers, Apr 26, 2007.

1. doobers

doobers Member

if anyone out there knows anything at all. please help me. its kinda urgent.

for some stupid reason my internet stuffs up alot. its a DNS error. i assume its a windows thing, so i posted it here.

the only way i can fix this problem is by resetting my computer. but i have a major issue with my graphics card, which makes reseting the computer pretty much out of the question. (dont ask lol)

the main question is how can i reset the DNS without resetting my computer?

please help

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

>start>control panel>network connections>right click... properties.>tcp/ip..highlight >properties button

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007
  3. doobers

doobers Member

i just had a look there. thats a new place to me. thnx for that.

but how do i reset it from there?

do i just check and then uncheck something?

not sure if this is relevant, but im using XP sp2 and its a wireless connection

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

In the properties do you see any numbers allocated in the boxes or is the setting on Automatically obtain my setting something like that??

5. doobers

doobers Member

its all automatic

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Do this....

>start>control panel>network connections>right click.... select the option to "Repair" I believe that this clears the DNS info and gets new info for everything.

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

That may lead to the famous "Windows cannot clear the ARP Cache".. If so try this.

From the command prompt:

netsh interface ip delete arpcache

do "arp -d *" at the command prompt.

If that doesn't work you will need to query DNS settings with your ISP.

8. LDee

LDee Regular member

I don't know exactly what kind of dns error you mean but if you want to clear your dns cache so the client will send the dns query fresh and not assume it knows where the fqdn is, go to run, type "cmd", then type "ipconfig /flushdns"

Now try to revisit a website that you couldn't before. If it works you got some problem with dns obviously, like you don't have the preferred dns server addresses of your isp, that could be set in your router (if it's acting as a dhcp server, ie, the thing that gives you your ip address and dns address amongst other things) or it could be coming directly from the isp depending on how its set up in your case. You could also try resetting your router (either by using your browser to access the routers config settings and do a factory reset((you access your router by typing your default gateway address into a browser address bar, find your gateway address by typing "ipconfig" in cmd)) or you can stick a pin in the little round hole that should be somewhere on the outside of the router, this resets it) only reset it if you know your username and password for your isp because you will need to put that in the router again or you won't get back on the net until you do.

You could have some software interfering with your dns settings such as proxy server or malware, do a spyware scan and disable anything that might be connecting through a proxy server.

Oh yeah, first I'd try and do what was previously suggested and just repair your connection, might fix it, but if this happens all the time in different network sessions then you might want to go through what I suggested above. (contact your isp if you suspect there is a problem with their dns)