1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The laser printer (networking)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jazz!?, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Jazz!?

Jazz!? Guest

hey... this is the second part to my first problem.

I have a recently bought laser printer. Its connected via usb to my administration computer on windows xp. I shared the printer and as another client i can print off that printer. (add printer under control panel) - its was recognised.

On windows Me i went to add printer and its not on the list. I tried accessing the admin computer but it gave me the message:

\\(pc name) cannot be accessed. You do not have permission to use this network resource

.. or something along those lines.
    This error message appears on every computer except for the admin when i try and view the files within it. somehow i managed to connect to the printer on the windows xp computer through add prijnter as i have already mentioned...

How do i get the printer shared so i can print off the windows me client. Is it something to do with collision of O/s'?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]+jazz+[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2004
  2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Are you using a workgroup or domain security model? Also, is the printer shared? You might also get that error if the PC you are trying to network to doesn't share any resources.

3. Jazz!?

Jazz!? Guest

workgroup... printer is shared...

-- what do you mean by this?

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

What user accounts have permission to access the printer? You may have to configure ME to connect to this resource as another user (a user configured on the XP machine) in order to access the resource. Is the XP machine Home or Pro version?

5. Jazz!?

Jazz!? Guest

It goes like this:

Me1: xp pro(with direct internet connection and 2 printers)

Me2: xp pro access to both printers on me1 but yet no access to the shared files (don't know why)

Me3: Wme no access to printers or shared files on me1 but access to internet connection on me1. Also there IS access to shared files on me2 and printers on me2.

(messed up aint it?)

Help plz

6. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

In the network identification settings, are all the PC's configured to use the same workgroup name? And are the XP machines set to use share level or user level passwords? Internet access is strictly a routing issue independent of the operating systems other than the OS being configured to share Internet. Where the OS is concerned, network routing isn't a resource. Also check the Client for Microsoft Networks in the network adapters on each PC and make sure that Share Files and Share Printers are both checked.

7. Jazz!?

Jazz!? Guest

huh?! - lol ... any simpler than that? Step by step would be good!

where are the network identification settings?
    Under network connections on me1 i just check under local area connection and bt broadband properties that file and printer sharing check boxes were checked.

all the pc's are under the same owrkgroup name and the do recognise each other.

'And are the XP machines set to use share level or user level passwords?' - how do i check for this?

Also check the Client for Microsoft Networks in the network adapters on each PC and make sure that Share Files and Share Printers are both checked. - how do i check for this?

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Right-click "My Network Places" and select Properties. Right-click the network adapter connected to the other PC's and select properties. You should see File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks listed. Select properties here and make sure that they're configure to share file and printer resources. I don't recall if XP Pro will allow you to configure share or user level access although if you select the Security settings on the shared resource and add the user Everyone to the list that should eliminate security from being an issue.

9. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Sorry, right-click the printer you wish to share and select Sharing. Make sure you have the share this printer option checked and a share name filled in. On the security tab, make sure Everyone is listed and has at least Print permission enabled.

10. Jazz!?

Jazz!? Guest

there is no security tab... oh and can you explain your signature at the same time - sounds interesting.

11. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Do you have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on all PC's? Under the TCP/IP properties where you configure the address, click the Advanced button and then the WINS tab. Select the option to Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. My signature is a summary of what/how I am running PS2 and Gamecube game backups. Those are the sections I usually hangout in.

12. Jazz!?

Jazz!? Guest

!!! - what?! i need more detail which computer and from desktop give me directions.