1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THe MSBlast worm returns!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by mattym129, May 2, 2007.

1. mattym129

mattym129 Member

I've already written this, but my desktop PC crashed half-way though. Excuse me if I'm brief.

Setting up a server, after installing all of the available Windows updates the Remote Procedure Call "terminated unexpectedly". I halted the automatic shutdown, then the Generic Host Process dies. It's not the MSBlast worm as I have SP2. I have no idea what it is. It still happens in safe mode. I'm now short of a reinstall, which I have already done due to a dodgy install. Where do I go now?

Thanks in advance guys,

Matty.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Read this web site about how to get the patches that you need and how to remove the MSBlast worm from your system. Link

3. mattym129

mattym129 Member

Hi and thanks for the reply.

It can't be the Blaster worm with Service Pack 2, the patch to eradicate it released by Microsoft was included in Service Pack 2. Sorry for the misleading topic name, the symtoms I am experiencing are very similar to the symtoms of the Blaster worm, but I do not have the worm.

It seems that all of XP's services are being effected by the problem, Windows Update does not work nor does Disk Management for example. When the Services management is viewed, all that is shown is a blue box in the top-left of where the list should be - I will post a screen shot if required.

Thanks again in advance,

Matty.

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

If a system crashes during an installation....all kinds of hell wreaks havoc. You'd be better off wiping the drive, and starting fresh.

5. mattym129

mattym129 Member

Thanks again for the reply.

A previous installation went bad, with "obe32.dll" corrupting often, as well as many other problems. I zeroed the disk, wiped the slate clean, and started again. This is a new install, no problems after around five hours of installing apps, etc. The other install failed on the first reboot!

There again, it is a Maxtor drive, it could be physical damage screwing me over.

Thanks,

Matty.