1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The music bar is gone?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by kkwaz, Dec 23, 2007.

1. kkwaz

kkwaz Member

Hello there

Something bizzare has occured. On my IBM Thinkpad when you usually increase the speaker volume a icon appears on the desktop, like a meter indicating the level you have set your volume to. However lately it has dissapeared. I am unsure as to why this is the case and i find it annoying. Recently however i have installed a anti virus programme and it located two files which contained a virus and these were within the 'sound' files (soundmax) folders. I have since moved them to the virus vault or virus chest box as some may know it. Could this be the reason? And then this leads onto a more serious question that if this is the case, and where viruses are detected,files are moved off the OS, does it mean functionality could be reduced? Also then what would i do with the virus vault? delete the infected files (they cannot be healed) or simply leave them there? or even re-instate them.

Thank You

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  2. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

I can assist you with removing your computer infections. The missing on screen volume meter may return afterwards. If not, we can work on that next. I will need to know what brand and model computer? What OS is installed, WinXP, or Vista? What is connected to the PC, besides mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  3. kkwaz

kkwaz Member

Brand = IBM Thinkpad, model number x32, windows xp service pack 2 and nothing is connected externally, it is a laptop. I have zero viruses on the computer and have had very few in my computer life. I think it will be somewhere in the settings but its a hard find. Thanks for helping me.

4. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

OK, since your positive there are no infections present. I would first perform a system restore to try to get it back. Go back beyond when you first noticed the issue.

5. kkwaz

kkwaz Member

Hmmmm

I have been very busy with my computer as in installing new programs and removing viruses with anti virus software. I am unsure as to whether it is best to go back, or whether i can as i deleted the most recent system restore on the C drive panel. Hmmm i do not mind if it is gone, i still think somewhere there maybe an option to find the icon meter. I will try again to look through all possible menus.

Thanks

6. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Any particular reason for deleting all your restore points? Were their that many? OK, we can't restore the computer now, so what's next? Let's try this: Start>Run>type, sfc /scanonce Then Reboot. This will take a little while to scan and try to correct Windows XP. If we can no longer roll back the registry, because there are no longer any restore points. The next step could mean a full system recovery. However, I generally do this as a last resort. Unless the OP decides there is not enough time to troubleshoot.

Try uninstalling/reinstalling your mouse, and keyboard drivers, and usb host controllers in device manager.

Or download and use this.

http://web1.pv3.ncsrv.de/wn-freeware/index.php?pr_open=1&link=file_programm_alle&id=WN Volume OSD

Are you familiar with how to use HijackThis? If so, perhaps you can scan and post a log here.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  7. kkwaz

kkwaz Member

Hi,

Thanks for your help. If i try to scan and correct windows xp will this lose all the existing data and settings on my computer? I think this is a little advanced, in particular the hijack, however i checked the link and i do use spybot and ad-aware. I can post a picture of the infected files my anti-virus found, however i do not know if this would help. Unistalling the keyboard may help, however i am unsure as to how i would get it back, as it seems advanced for me. Thanks for your help anyway.

8. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

This should answer your question regarding Windows File Protection.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193

If you need assistance with using hijackThis, or device manager, I can help.

Run sfc /scanonce, if this does not correct the issue. We go to the next step.

9. kkwaz

kkwaz Member

Hi there

Thanks for your help, however this seems a little advanced for me, and a little time consuming to get the music bar back. It is not such a big deal after a while you get used to it. I think its either in the settings or anti virus chest and will get someone to check it out for me. However i would like to thank you for your help and time. It was appreciated.

Thank You

P.S Mods Lock thread...

10. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

OK, good luck!