1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Athlon 64???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by HAUNTED, May 31, 2004.

1. HAUNTED

HAUNTED Member

i was just looking to upgrade my computer... i currently have an asus A7V8X Mobo, and a AMD Athlon XP 2000+

i was looking around and heard of this new amd athlon xp with 1600mhz fsb! i mean.. WOW! thats fast as anything... what do you all think of this. Think its worth a try? also im a huge gamer and am wondering if this will work with todays high cut games such as Far Cry and stuff like that. I mean, it says its good for games.. What do you all think of this??

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. There is no AthlonXP that runs at 1600Mhz. They all cap out at 400Mhz.
    2. The chip you have in mind is the FX53 (the FX51 is no longer being made). It's a 64bit like the rest of its class (the AMD64 line of chips including the Athlon 64, Athon 64 FX and the Opteron [1-3]xxx chips). More info can be found at http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9488,00.html and specifically for the high end gaming chip: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9488,00.html

3. HAUNTED

HAUNTED Member

4. HAUNTED

HAUNTED Member

im sorry, i said amd athlon XP i ment the Athlon64

and i know i will have to get a entirely new mobo and stuff... but what do u people think of this new chip?? has anyone used or own one??

5. Praetor

and? That's for the A64 platform - not the A32 platform. Read my first post. :)

6. Praetor

I like the A64 line of chips both for user-level performance (what everyone who likes them seems to like about them, i.e., games, benchmarks and other brand-name pissing contests) but also because of the 64bit capability. A lot of profesional uses for such a set of chips exist (Mathematica, Video Editing/Encoding) and now, the "avg joe" can have a proper server chip in their home computer. Granted the chip is stunning for games (building me a FX53 rig for the summer) but there's more you life than games -- yes there is -- honest! :p

Nah enough ranting from an old decrepit geezer like me, the chip wont dissapoint you regardless -- just try to stay clear of the AMD vs Intel pissing contests and enjoy the power :)

7. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

i think the 64 wil run top end games more effiently and it has the ability to hold a terabite of ram(1,000GB):O which appartly wil be significant for big servers....and god's computer, but you shouldnt buy one now cuz i herd in a yr ther releasin a new one or a new mobo to go with it:S i dont know sumut along those lines

8. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

Wuggish, in a year they will always have something better, no matter what u buy

9. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

gd point

10. Praetor

1TB of ram?

11. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

yea, apparnetly its wil be significant for large servers, i imagin if your massive company you could have all your computers hooked up into one server instead ov haviin loads, but u wud need one big server box

12. Praetor

Yes but AMD64 bit procs using 1TB? In what configuration?

13. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

i dont know about configurations but i do no this;

To access an area in the computer's physical memory (RAM) to store or retrieve data, the processor needs the address of that location, which is an integer number representing one byte of memory storage.

Suddenly, having 64-bit registers makes sense as, while a 32-bit processor can access up to 4.3 billion memory addresses (232) for a total of about 4GB of physical memory, a 64-bit processor could conceivably access over 18 petabytes of physical memory. This is the one area that clearly shows why 64-bit processors are the future of computing, as demanding applications such as databases have long been scraping on the 4GB memory ceiling, and although Microsoft and Intel have combined to enable servers using the 32-bit Xeon processor and certain versions of Windows 2003 Server to utilize more than 4GB of memory, the amount that can be accessed per-application is still less than 3GB.

If you are a business with a database of a terabyte or more of information, 64-bit processors look pretty good right now.

and incase you didn't know a terabyte is 1,000 and a perabyte is 1,000tb!

14. Praetor

Its a lot closer to 1099511627776 bytes

15. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

sori i meant tht a terabyte is 1,000GB - (not with it 2nite)

16. HAUNTED

HAUNTED Member

these processors are sick... i think im gona try one out... i hope i can still keep my pc2700 ddr with the new board.. lol, thanks

17. HAUNTED

HAUNTED Member

by they way... what board do most ppl reccomend? i love asus... but, jw what ppl think

18. Praetor

You wont be able to keep the ram you have now i wouldnt imagine -- not with a FX proc since they require registered ram.

For an AMD board i'd go ASUS and for intel I'm starting to lean towards Abit.
    _

Short of NASA and the like (which have their special setups), do many businesses require 1TB of ram? I wouldnt think so ... 1 TB of HDD space, thats not unheard of but 1TB on A64 platform -- now theres something
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  19. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

yea i cant think of many companies that would need that much, microsoft, sony an i cant think of any others. and i think they can accsess 18 perabytes of RAM not just 1TB

20. Praetor

Im not contesting the amount of ram they can ACCESS but what configurations they would use (i.e., HOW) for that kinda RAM .... NASA and most of the major supercomputing setups use Intel silicon and with SMP computing its not really "x" amount of RAM that is considered but rather "x amount of ram per proc" that is relevent. Cant remember what the setup is for the Itanium 1/2 setups