1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All mentioned, but none of them were the fault of the card. Either the drivers were not installed, or they were using bad cables, or VGA instead of DVI, and VGA has known issues with 1680x1050.

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

its what i was saying about vista, aswell but everyone refused to belive

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I have no idea to what degree they monitor the hardware, other than the CPU, but this issue has surfaced in the last couple of weeks. I would imagine if you do a bit of shuffling around of hardware, it may not start the 120 days until you have maintained the same profile for a certain period of time. I'm only guessing there though! I haven had a chance to look into it further. It happened to a member here about a week ago. I won't say who, but if he wants to chime in, maybe he can explain it better! That's up to him!

Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, but unlike Win7, Vista was bad :p

Interestingly Russ, googling 'nvidia 1680x1050 problem' comes up with more results than 'ATI 1680x1050 problem' - not that it really matters, as going by the number of google results for an ambiguous phrase is irrelevant.

1680x1050 is not in the original spec for VGA. Some monitors will have issues with ATI cards with it, some with nvidia cards, some with both. Inevitable due to the different way drivers are programmed. Decent monitors wouldn't have any issues with either. No matter how good the picture is on your Sceptre (and it's worth remembering Sceptre don't make the panels) the piles of condemning reviews of Sceptre monitors say enough to suggest it's just a problem with your monitor, and ATI happen to be, in this case, the convenient scapegoat. There may be a way to resolve the issue, but I've not seen it.
    For ref, catalyst is meant to be able to force resolutions as well as rivatuner.

To me, logical step seems to be stick with nvidia for that system until your next monitor upgrade, and when that comes, buy from a better brand than Sceptre.

My Win7 copy is legitimate, but I reactivated my system about 5-6 times within the space of a fortnight when troubleshooting the awful 4GB 5970 cards. This was only a month and a bit ago. No problems to report. Once, the online activation was down and I had to do it over the phone, but it was still easy. So what if you have to reactivate if you change hardware? It takes seconds to reactivate.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I've never seen "piles" of condemning reviews for one. Lots for their old CRTs, but not for LCD widescreen monitors. I read an awful lot before I purchased it in the first place, and I didn't come across any reputable reviews that were negative. The biggest complaint I came across, was the lack of a power saving standby mode, and you do have to shut it completely off every time, or the red Sceptre light will blink on and off.

I did try forcing it with Catalyst. I was on the phone with a tech from Ati for over 45 minutes. I tried everything he asked me to do, and nothing worked!

You seem to be convinced that Sceptre isn't a very good monitor. I put over 4 years of hard use on this one before it started acting up. I'm on line 14 hours a day, or more and never had a single problem with it. The picture quality is outstanding, and HD video is amazing! The colors are lush, and so life like! How would I rate it? 100% good! Others right here on AD feel the same way about theirs, although none of them has seen as much use as mine. BTW, the screen is made by Mitsubishi!

As far as googling the problem, I was very specific, "Ati video problem with 1680x1050 resolution"! You have to really think about what you are asking, and how you word it, otherwise you might not get what you are looking for. I happen to be very very good at it!

I still agree with Shaff, if the nVidia works, so should the Ati!

Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow, a lot of people with a burnt out dvi port. That's pretty sad! I think I'll stick with Samsung, Asus, and Dell. My brothers got a small Dell screen, and it looks really good. Can't wait to get a large Dell screen. It's just unfortunate how much I need to buy one :(

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Dell's low-end monitors are competitively priced, such as the TruColor 24" ones. However, the high-end 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 monitors are very expensive, as they're top-end displays in every regard.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I want one of their top ends extremely bad. Probably more so than you ever did :p Money of course is a problem...
    If my car would stop playing games with me, I'd have probably bought it by now :(

10. warpcrash

warpcrash Member

well my ati card (4850) didn't work with vista and my monitor in dvi out only vga OUT.

3 way compatiblity problem and no solution ever made... except use VGA.

which i would lay fault on microsoft and ati for not supporting older monitors.

So when the on/off switch finally broke completly i ran my monitor over with my car a few times and it still didnt' break so I went old school on it and beat it with a baseball bat like office space.

And now I have a widescreen witch i never really cared for but trends are trends sigh..

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which monitor did you have?

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I can vouch for that.knowing that.I'm running Win7 ultimate on the AMD Rig and Win7 Home on the intel Rig both OEM versions still to this day. I have to call if. I install Win Xp it's phone call as well only thing I have to remember to do is on Win7 Go into the Power Options and change the plan settings because your computer will go to sleep if you don't if you don't and you fall asleep with a torrent running over night that's why .I got Never in my turn off display & put the computer to sleep made that mistake the first time on a torrent and lost Ratio points and almost banned...

ps.if i got win7 pro. I'll have a treo.lol

check out my boy Bill Owen pop rivet lesson of the day
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu56PKFPlSM&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  13. warpcrash

warpcrash Member

it was a 19" viewsonic 3ms gaming lcd one of the very first gaming lcds that didn't ghost came out around 2004 or 05 was expensive compared to how many inches of viewing you get these days for the same price.

How can you get banned using torrents ???

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Private tracker websites (better for high speeds and high quality content availability) enforce a minimum amount of upload to ensure you are fairly uploading data back to people and contributing to the site (helps maintain high speeds. Since everybody just closes their client once the download is done at places like thepiratebay and there are no rules to enforce it, speeds are dire as only a few people have to do the work of hundreds of would-be uploaders). If you don't upload enough, you get a warning, and eventually banned if not corrected.

15. warpcrash

warpcrash Member

I'd be wary of Samsung they have a terrible warranty program where you have to pay to mail back your broken monitor which cost me $50 for my last crt , then they send you a another one. I had to do the process 3 times and the first 2 times the replacements were broken out of the box and the last replacement lasted one month.. just get a warranty at a store that lets you replace it in house if you buy samsung . I got mine at samsclub with an extended warranty that didn't take affect until after the manufacturer warranty ran out so I basically got hosed by samsclub and samsung.

and it took about 6 weeks to get the next monitor each time.

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

private sites you can if your a member if your Ratio is'nt up

17. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

That's what I was thinking, without a need for more cores any of the three will do fine. This is a bit late but when I said i7's I only meant the quad-cores, the hexa-cores are just ridiculous lol

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually, having to send back an item at owners' expense is standard practice for all manufacturers. It's only when you're sending back to retailers that there's an obligation for them to pay for the shipping process.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Red_Maw,
    My way of thinking is pretty simple. I've already got a higher end AMD 955BE/C3, a high quality 790x motherboard, DDR2 1066 5-5-5-15 ram, and a great PSU in a well cooled case. For $195 for a 1055T, or $295 for a 1090T BE, that will tap dance it's way through Multi-Threaded applications, it kicks ass in the Bang for the Buck department like no other processor AMD has delivered before. It stacks up very well with the Intel quads in it's price range. $195 for the 1055T has got to be the best bargain of the 21st Century! Easily capable of 4.0GHz, it's the cost of the CPU plus a bios flash away for me, to achieve video encoding Nirvana! I want one! Here's some reviews.
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/amd_phenom_x6_1090t/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_phenom2_x6_1090t/

http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x6-1055t-1090t-review/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-890fx,2613.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...6-1055t-1090t-six-core-processors-review.html

Anyone with a compatible AM2+ or an AM3 motherboard that can handle a 125w CPU would be crazy not to buy one.

Best regards,
    Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unless they can only use 4 cores or less, in which case it's a pointless investment. The 955 can do everything the 1090 can do otherwise. The 6 cores are fabulous CPUs for existing AMD owners that can use them, otherwise you're better off with a quad, from either brand.