1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Bigwill,
    Your CPU frequency is 100MHz higher than mine. Your DDR3 8-8-8-21 vs my DDR2 5-5-5-15, are both at 1072MHz. My DDR2 eats those GSkills alive in Latency, Memory performance, L3 Cache performance, and L3 Cache latency. They are close enough to the Hyperx latency that I won't be hurrying to the store to buy DDR3 and a new motherboard anytime in the near future! LOL!!

[​IMG]

If I was doing the same build today, I'm not so sure I still wouldn't go with DDR2. Then again I might at this time opt for the 790XT and DDR3. Since there still isn't much that utilizes Sata6 or USB3, I just don't see that much of an advantage, especially since I have a great motherboard to begin with. If I was buying everything new, I'd have to think seriously about it though.

Russ

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I'm looking to build the most inexpensive print server/ web browsing PC possible. I'm thinking AMD because I don't need an i7 or i5 to do this. Anyone have any recommendations on CPU+mobo combo with a mobo that would be fairly up to date on features for under $100 and average CPU that fits? I prefer Gigabyte and have been looking at the 770, 780, 785NB boards and haven't focused on CPU yet. Any ideas? Thanks all.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    I would recommend one of these, then.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394&Tpk=ma785gm-us2h

It can handle any modern AMD CPU, from AM2 through AM2+ and AM3. It's about as good as it gets in the Bang for the Buck category. 785G NB, 710 SB. 5 internal Sata 3.0 ports, and one eSata on the rear. HD 4200 Graphics, with HDMI, DVI and VGA.

Best Regards,
    Russ

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Yea. I brought some crappy sticks to find out in the end here. I should have got some DDR3 1600mhz instead, 1333mhz are not so good when it comes to alittle Oc'ing.I heard.I can't get these jokers to oc even to 1342 and that's 9mhz over 1333 stock and that loosening up the timing alittle 9-9-9-21 1T. I've have some new sticks in a few weeks anyway so'I'll run these at 1066 for now(junkie sticks) Kingston HyperX's are the best in the 1600mhz DDR3's sticks anyway come to find out in the nano seconds,read,right & copy it's the fastest on all scores..here's a video maybe old one but none the less it's a facted...

Kingston Video ddr3 1600mhz
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H4uyNZ_f5Y

here they are at newegg (out of stock)at the moment.I got auto notify button pushed and. i will know when there back in stock...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...29&cm_re=khx1600c9d3k2-_-20-104-129-_-Product

yea you got me beat Russ. i get back to you with Hyper's come in.Lol:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2010
  6. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Yeah.

Russ,
    In my opinion DDR3 is only worth the extra cost if you get the higher speed stuff. If it's going to be 1333Mhz, or worse, lower, DDR2 is generally a better value and can often perform better (as you know). All said and done though a good set of 1600Mhz DDR3 stomps all over DDR2 ;p

7. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Now this is True:)

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Bigwill,
    I see that test as somewhat skewed, as they are implying that it would be even faster using 2x2MB. Show us the tests with the proper size memory, if they are going to make that claim! As far as the performance goes, mine takes a -485MB/s hit in read speed, but the HyperX takes a hit of -595MB/s in the write test. With the Copy test I'm -163MB/s, virtually dead even, but the latency is only .7ns slower, 48.6ns vs 47.9ms. Mind you, this is DDR3 vs DDR2, 1600MHz vs 1066MHz. It may be worth it some day when the latencies are reduced to affordable Cas 6 or 7, but Cas 9 is not going to have me yearning for a 790TX motherboard and DDR3. LOL!!

Benchmarks are wonderful things, but their accuracy and meaning in the real world, leaves a lot to be desired. I lose about 1200 MIPS overall, using the ACC, but gain a minimum of 2 minutes off of virtually every video encode with DVDRB/CCE. Most run under 25 minutes for the whole DVDRB/CCE, 2 pass process, with some taking less than 20 minutes! So much for benchmarks!

Another thing I want to bring up is the required video for playing DVDs. I've installed the 7300GS I got from you, in place of my 9500GT, which is quite a come-down for me. I can adjust the Brightness, Contrast, Hue and Saturation until it all looks beautiful, but it lacks the Life like picture quality of the HD graphics using the 9500GT. It just doesn't have the same visual punch it has with the 9500GT!

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I've eyeballed that, especially liking the micro aspect for a machine I want to hide inside some office furniture.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking buying AM3 for a board that only supports ddr2 is overkill...just trying to narrow my search for CPU, agreeing the board RUSS linked is good enough a the right price

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    I just finished a build for a friend in Massachusetts, a 7850 2.8GHz Kuma on that same board. It's going to UPS on Monday! The real beauty of the board is it's ability to use socket AM2, AM2+, and AM3. The heft of the board will surprise you! At present, given the cost of Cas 6&7 DDR3, it's not yet worth the expense of going DDR3 all the way, since the 790TX/DDR3 barely beats out the 790X/DDR2, at the same memory speed! L3 Cache performance is much better with DDR2, at a much lower latency! See my posts to Bigwill, above!

Russ

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

i have used that CPU in a previous build when that chip cost 30 or so dollars more. I was pleased at the time and I have not had any complaints from the client I built it for. Funny you recommend it, I was thinking about buying it but like the mobo, I wanted to throw it out there and ask about components instead of blindly buying the exact same thing every time without listening to alternatives.

12. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Not meaning to double post but while looking at a suitable PSU I came across this deal for a nice 400W corsair http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

I don't normally bother with the rebates but if I could multiply the cash back instead of limited to the 1 per household rule, I'd buy 5 at this price.

13. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Same problem with new ram so I'm assuming something in the bios isn't set right. The MB is a MSI 890FXA-GD70 so there shouldn't be any problem. Any tips on what they might not be doing are appreciated.

Thanks,

redmaw

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's funny, if I went into the PC business [I'd like to, may well do when I finish my degree] I'd probably buy a dozen of those to use for various machines and repairs, amazing units.

15. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks for reply SAM, i started to think I scared everyone off by posting more than 2x bi-annually (no offence MAW, our posts weren't related)...In fact I am loading the version of win7 x64 the university gave me on the PC I recently posted questions about using that PSU. I still have 2 more that I purchased when it was almost as cheap w/o fussing about a rebate a few months ago.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    There's money to be made in the PC Business. I just shipped that Massachusetts build off. It cost her $600 Plus $115 for XP-Pro SP/2, including shipping!

785GM-US2H motherboard, 7850 Kuma 2.8 GHz Dual Core, Freezer 64, 1x2GB GSkill DDR2 1066 cas 5, 250GB WD, Asus DVD Burner, card reader, and a Cooler Master Elite case w/420w PSU. All she does with a computer is surf the net, play on Pogo, and talk to people. It's a pretty good step up from the 5-6 year old HP single core she has now. Now she get's better HD audio and HD 4200 Graphics, and she can plug it right into their TV!

I made enough at that price with the rebates ($55), to buy my 955 and put 4GB of DDR2 800 memory in Oxi, and she get's a much better computer than she could buy for the same money. Locally, it would have run $550. You could buy a cheaper computer, but you wouldn't have something as good, or be as likely to last for the next 5 years.

Like I say, there's money to be made building and selling computers.

Russ

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, the main thing that's stopping me at the moment is lack of startup capital, and lack of a permanent base. Switching locations between home and university leaves me ill-placed to offer some sort of after-sales support.

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

[​IMG]

Ok dropped it 100mhz now at 3826Ghz had the set memory clock at x5.33 to run 1066 like you for a cpu frequency of 3.9ghz underclocked the sticks bumped back to x6.66 to run 1333mhz now at 1342mhz tighten the timing to 7-7-7-20 Command Rate 1 (CR1)the memory which. I have right here below in the AMD Rig...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189
    runs at 9-9-9-24 as soon as you plug it in the dimms so.I tightened it even more to 7-7-7-20 at 1.65v. Russ...I notice your at CR2 changed that to CR1 , 1T means it takes 1 clock cycle to find a memory bank, vs. 2T where it takes 2 clock cycles to find the memory bank.and your Cpu stepping is Blank on our everest memory benchmark why is that?Mine is showing RB-C3 Yours should to...

Not anymore after some tuning my friend.I'll stay at 3.8ghz for now until the Kington HyperX's 1600mhz roll in for 3.9ghz again. i got these G.Skills tighten under factory specs stated and gonna memtest them for results.I haven had the amd rig up a running for alittle over a week now sense july 29th.I was frustrated with everthing not working well with this ddr3, 1333mhz g.skill sticks...but it worked out so far.I guess

later on thinking about paring these two together for a $130 bucks from micro center with tax $138.45 out the door...what you thing Russ?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103846

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2010
  19. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

none taken Deadrum; I have one of those psu too, wish I payed that price though lol.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahh yes. I bought two of the 400W corsairs. All around excellent PSU. Not too expensive, and delivers very agreeable performance. One of my mothers computers has one, and my brothers computer has one. Not one hiccup :D I also own the 550W and HX750. Excellent company xD