1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i thought 1 was too much :p

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

i keep my media/ftp server in my basement where i do most my work but also have a headless unit upstairs which is a glorified print server. Well, technically it has a 56" tv in a totally different room for monitor, connected with long HDMI. So its an HTPC too i guess, nice wireless remote for setting in living room watching movies streamed from basement PC. If any settings ever need changed on the headless unit i just remote in from other machines in the house.

3. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

Russ,

See if this is of any help,

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=1728&tag=nl.e064

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I've decided to do a Dual Boot configuration for Win 7. I've downloaded and burned a CD for GPart so I can add the Win 7 partition to my current 68GB boot partition. I have all the instructions printed out, so if there is anything else I need to know, or possible pitfalls, feel free to comment! I'll be using Win 7 Home Basic and XP-Pro.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unfortunately I've no real experience with GPart, so I can't help much there. Should, theoretically, be quite a simple process though.

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Instead of the default names C: or D: i recommend giving your partitions real names such as XP and WIN7 to accompany the drive letter. Partition letters flip depending which OS you are in so it makes initial setup easier. Yes, two different partition sizes help you figure which is which, but this way is even more obvious.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed (though I always do this)

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    Good idea, I'll do that!

Thanks,
    Russ

10. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

No problem. I post when I can, whenever the regulars don't beat me to the obvious answers...LOL
    Thank you for the advice a page back when I was scouting hardware. The build works well. I purchased mobo+cpu+ram+case for under $300, already had everything else in spare parts.

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

good price drops on the AMD front.

$100 for a 640 and $145 for a 955BE.

man i have the upgrade itch so badly, and i want to wait for bulldozer/sandybridge, but man, AMD and intel are making it hard to wait.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Deadrum33,
    I'm glad that it worked out well for you. It's pretty amazing what you can get with $300 and some careful shopping.

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not sure why you'd want to upgrade, don't you have a Q6600? AMD's current lineup isn't really better. Faster stock, but when overclocks are considered, they're probably about the same. The only real upgrade for you would be an i5/i7 and to be honest, it's probably a waste. I'd wait for Sandy Bridge/Bulldozer too in your situation I think. Without crossfire weighing you down your current situation really isn't that desperate :p

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I agree. When I moved from my Q6600 to my 940BE it really wasn't much of an upgrade more than a sidegrade. It's a little faster in some things but hardly worth paying for. I just did it because I was stupid XD

4870's is hardly taxing that Q6600 either. I'd say you could run 5850s easily at 1920. My 940 does it really nice and the scaling is awesome. If you must upgrade your CPU, like everyone else says, wait for Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer. A 955BE is not really an upgrade. Bulldozer though, looks like it could be something huge because AMD is on a roll with good products.

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    I don't get all the connections on top though. Not only will that look ugly, it also bends the cables almost180 degrees. It's also a real PITA to put together too! I read the installation manual!

Russ

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

its based on the fact that heat rises. so they have the air flow going form bottom to top. im in love with it lol. that top you see is removable which allows you to get to the connections when you lift it. it hides away all the cables. which cables does it bend 180 degrees?

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Hold up ya'll got me all confused now It's like driving on the opposite side of the street with that case ,the motherboard tray is on the other side and where would the PSU mount? my head started to hurt figuring it out different strokes for different folks. I guess

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2010
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    So you stuff all the cables under the cover! Uh, if the cabled come out the top of the computer, they have to be bent about 90 degrees to clear the cover. Weight and gravity will make up the other 90 degrees. What do you do if you need a DVI to VGA adapter? There's no way that you could get the cover to work then. It would be very hard on FO cables as well, as they don't bend too easily, or like being severely bent, as that breaks the glass fibers. Nice looking case, but it would not work too well here with all the dust. All the ports would get dust in them. Hell, it builds up on the speaker wires, and they are almost vertical! LOL!! There's a half inch layer of dust stuck to one of the wires right now, and it's just hanging down from the desk!

Russ

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member