1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Quite excited for Bulldozer myself. AMD got their manufacturing tech figured out with Phenom II so I would guess Bulldozer builds from that. Even if they use a completely different architecture there were many design improvements in the last few years. Specifically the 790FX chipset has me tickled pink. If they can use all they've learned from previous successes, I can see AMD competing in the big leagues once again ala Athlon 64.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

[​IMG]

Since today was the hottest day of the year so far, and it being about 84-85F inside, I decided to torture my computer some more. I've left the HT link frequency at 2200MHz, and raised the NB Frequency to 2800MHz. I upped the NB Voltage to 1.40v, and the CPU NB VID to 1.4250v. This fattened the Memory bandwidth up to almost 9000MB/s. A healthy 700+MB/s increase.

[​IMG]

I set the ACC to Hybrid, and set all cores at +2%. This stops the individual cores from showing their temperatures in everest and AMD/OD. Here's a screen shot of AMD OD to confirm the settings.

[​IMG]

The end result is faster encode times. I re-encoded the same flick I did last night with DVDRB/CCE 2 pass, and the improvement was almost 5 minutes. I figured I would go ahead and do it today since it's so hot. Temperatures were never an issue, as the CPU hit 43C, and the motherboard hit 41C.

Hey, I'm still learning! LOL!! I'm very pleased with the results!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I believe it hit 96F° here in eastern Oregon today. Not the hottest this year. I believe that was 105 a few weeks ago. Fairly typical in this Semi Arid region ;)

Is there any word whether the upcoming CPU's will be compatible with current AM3 Boards? Or would it simply be wiser to buy boards designed to handle their unique potential ;) Sorry if I missed this explanation/post somewhere :S

Ok, appears to be AM3. But seriously? Current boards are just gonna support that boost in bandwidth?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

completely new architecture, not based of K8 which was based of K7, so i doubt itlll stilll use the sama mobo socket. Pin outs will surely have to be different.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

6. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I say we are even Russ even though. I hate my sticks of memory on this Board. I fixed my setting same as yours as you . I don't have any Heat issues sense buying the Echo wonderful cooler.I'll do a Rebuild tonight and see where it comes out at...)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also set my ACC to Hybrid, and set all cores at +2%.but...I left my NB Voltage to 1.40v, and the CPU NB VID to 1.400v. and my Votage to 1.400v stays and stable...

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I've got 3 different Molex to SATA Connectors
    Each one fried a HDD, Smoke and odor came of the back control board
    Is this a fluke that I have 3 bad Connectors or what?

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I've seen and used Molex to SATA connectors with no issues. Chances are bad connectors or a bad PSU. AFAIK Sam is running several without issue in his file server rig.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I run them. But I believe my Velociraptor doesn't like them. Apparently it wants more power than those connectors are capable of properly transferring. I believe 2 of my 7200rpm drives use them(WD1001Fals).

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

A lot of people have asked me what the ACC does, and I have to confess that I still don't really know. What I have discovered though is it affects the amount of memory bandwith by a good bit! Here's mine at 3.8GHz with the ACC turned off, and the Northbridge set to 2400MHz.

[​IMG]

Here at 3.8GHz I have the ACC set to Hybrid, and all cores set to +2%, with the Northbridge set to 2800MHz. That fattens up the memory bandwidth considerably.

[​IMG]

Here, I have the Cache and memory performance at 3.8GHz, with the Northbridge set to 2400MHz.

[​IMG]

Here is the Cache and memory performance with the ACC set to Hybrid, and all cores set to +2%, at 3.8GHz, with the Northbridge set to 2800MHz

[​IMG]

The memory Latency improves by 2.7ns, the Li and L2 Cache performance remained the same, but the L3 Cache performance improved markedly, while losing .1ns in Latency. It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out that your computer will be faster due to a wider memory bandwidth, and better L3 Cache performance.

Stay Tuned,
    Russ

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I plug the Molex up to IDE HDD and all is well, so I don't think it's the PSU
    I'm a little skeptical about another connector and SATA HDD, don't want to fry 4 in a row

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've had one kill two drives, but it wasn't actually the splitter at fault I believe, it was a Molex->2 Molex splitter. I threw them all away just to be sure. All the others seem to work fine, but yeah, they are risky cables. I never use previously-unused Molex->S-ATA cables on anything but bare drives, just in case.

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mine are 1Molex to 2 Sata, But I only hook up one SATA PER Line
    Samm give me a link to the ones your useing

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That's exactly why buying a very powerful PSU is warranted at times. More power = more cables :D One day, I'll have a mess of Hard drives. Rather than deal with splitters and adapters, I'd rather just run a great PSU or two ;) I imagine the system I'll build one day (Non Gaming), will benefit from this beast!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014
    Note that there are 16 Sata connectors!!! :D

Rick, I use at least one molex to 2 sata adapters. They work good. But I'm pretty sure my Velociraptor doesn't like them LOL! It won't see that kind of power again ;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

omegaman7 : Any particular one you have in mind
    Bought mine from NEWEGG, but don't have the foggiest which ones

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not even a 1KW PSU has 13 S-ATA power cables in most instances, and since my PC only ever needs about 300W when it boots up, 120 or so the rest of the time, it ain't worth it :p

17. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hi guys, I’m Not new to AMD but first time on the AMD Thread.

Just completed a Budget build for a Grandson.
    Less than 5 Benjamans:

Phenom II x3 720
    Gigabyte MA78LM-S2H
    AC Freezer 64 Pro
    DDR2 800 2x2GB
    WD 500GB HDD
    HIS Radeon HD 5450
    HEC Mid Tower Case with 585W PSU
    Lite-On CD/DVD

This $99 X3 is a Honey. Unlocked and Overclocked to a Phenom II X4 20 @ 3.4GHz. All cores stable as a rock, Prime95 for 18 Hrs. 3.4GHz was the limit on default Volts and I really didn’t want to bump the Vcore yet because, with the unlocked core, am unable to monitor the Core Temp. Am pretty sure it would be OK with the AC Freezer but I wanted to check with you AMD guys to see if anyone has come up with a solution for monitoring the Core Temp on an unlocked CPU.

Am very happy with this one – it kicks butt. Only benchmark I’ve ran so far was AMD Overdrive - 7668.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, have you seen that Newegg has the new Phanom II X3 740 3GHz, $89 + $6 S&H. Sad, it’s not a BE but not a problem. Hope it unlocks.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103699&Tpk=x3 740

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

My question is are you getting a temp reading in bios of the unlocked fourth core?
    the fourth core is usually a defective core so unlocking them is sometimes problematic
    I heard Core temp is meaningless since you will always have one core warmer than the other. If you go by your overall CPU temp you will be fine.As long as you keep you CPU temp below 60c and another thing. I heard once you unlock there is no way of knowing your individual core temp because the sensor is disabled. Once you lock it back up the sensor goes back to normal.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I never trust core temps anyway, they're almost always wrong, and the normal CPU temp really defines the danger level.