1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

My bad… I said Core Temp but really meant CPU Temp. Yes, you can get current CPU Temp from Bios but that does me no good when running Prime95 and would like to see what the CPU Temp is doing. After unlocking a disabled core, no software that I have found will read the CPU Temp. not AMD Overdrive, SpeedFan or Core Temp, etc. I do set CPU Warning Temp in Bios to 60C to warn me if it goes over. AMD says the Max Temp is 71C but I like to stay away from anything over 60C.

It’s a misnomer that ALL of the locked out cores are defective. I get about 4 out of 6 that have no problems. The ones that have a bad core, I just lock it out because I didn’t order it expecting to have a quad. I know, it’s a crap shoot but when you buy a X2 555 or X3 720 expecting to get a duo or tri and end up with a quad with a 6MB L3 cache and OC’s like a dream, Happy Birthday!

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

2oldGeek,
    On my AMD, turning on the ACC only disables the core temps (they read 0), but not the CPU temp. I have a 955BE/C3 on a Gigabyte MA790X-UD4H motherboard @3.8GHz that will maybe get to 53C running Prime95, 4 cores @100%. As Sam said, if the CPU temp is showing you can pretty well go by that. My CPU Temp is always lower than the cores, anyway! I'm reading that with Everest 5.30, and the CPU temp shows in the taskbar.

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

theonejrs,

In order to unlock these little jewels, ACC is set to Auto and EC Firmware mode to Hybrid. As far as I can guess therein lies the problem. Over the past year and half I have unlocked (12) 720's and (6) 555's. Three of the 720's and one of the 555's didn't unlock stable. I have tried a lot of software to monitor CPU temps but no luck at all. Have never tried Everest, will give it a try.

Thanks,

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I have learned that Everest in my case reads backwards on my AM3 motherboards and reads correct on a AM3/AM2+/AM2 Motherboards. I had that problem with this first AMD Build. I have now and...I sent my board back just because of that reason The Temp was'nt reading right on the CPU so the motherboard & CPU Temps are Flip/Floped around average idle 33c stress is 52c Me & Russ have the same setup in a sense his board is the 790X-UD4P that's a (AM3/AM2+/AM2) board his cpu (955BE)C3 DDR2 memory mines a 790XT-UD4P whichis a (AM3)my CPU is (965BE)C3 DDR3 his Everest temps read correct mine don't. I believe that's a problem that Everest Needs to Address about the AM3 boards are test results are about even between the 2 boards as you can see at above Posts we done...only thing...I don't like is the memory..I picked for this build 1333mhz should got 1600mhz instead that's on order..Lol

[​IMG]

I know it's a challenge to get those extra cores to open and have them run stable. I haven ran across that path yet but...I believe it's worth the award after words to see done and that yo did it...Thanks for the Birthday Wishes

@ Russ

Aight Did Batman Begins 7.14Gb Full Disc 2 Passes from Hard Drive 1TB Fals after Tweaks done in Bios...

[​IMG]
    [23:21:56] Phase III, REBUILD completed in 4 minutes.

Done.
    [23:21:56] PREPARE/ENCODE/REBUILD completed in 24 min.
    I Like the Differents

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2010
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I think we mentioned that before will, it happens on lots of Intel boards as well.

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I LOVE a challenge! Built my first mainframe computer using an Intel 8008 in 1973. My first commercial PC was a TRS80 model I, 1977, with a Z80 CPU running @ 1.44 MegaHertz and 16 KiloBytes of ram lol.
    A week after I got it, I had it all over my workbench cutting traces and stacking chips on the Mobo so I could get Lowercase type out of it (it only came with Caps.)…. What memories, memories….Stop That, 2OG.

Anyway, thanks for the info on Everest,Will, I’ll put it to use as soon as I can..

[​IMG]

Ever since I have been unlocking these disabled cores, I have never been able to monitor the CPU Temp. And the cool n quite is disabled. Even though they are great overclockers (have had some of them to 4GHZ), I just OC them to the limit on auto voltage. That way I don’t need an expensive FHS, PSU or Mobo. I do a lot of “Budget builds” and give them more than they bargained for…

I just put in an order to Newegg for an open box Biostar A785G3. It has NB 785G and SB710 chipsets so will unlock a 720 or 555 for $37.99 + 6.98 Shipping. I’ll make a little off that one and give them a lot more computer for the money…… Mobo+CPU+FHS about $150 / PhII 965BE = $169.95 Hellooooo?

Thanks guys, AMD forever!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I've managed to install Win7 in Dual boot with XP, and it all works correctly. I do have to say that I am disappointed with the playback of DVDs with it though. Not near as good a picture as on XP. I guess if M$ does that it will increase the sales of 1080p monitors! LOL!! I've installed the latest video drivers from nVidia, so it all should work well, but .....

My only real complaint is it can be so frustrating to do simple things, like getting the S/PDIF audio to work. I googled the problem and came up with a ton of useless suggestions. The wind up was that you can't have the analog plugged into the computer, or neither the Coax or Optical audio work. I only found that out by accident, I unplugged it and the sound came on. Plugged it back in again and it vanished. XP lets you use all three!

Another thing I don't like is the lack of an active icon for the internet/network activity. I've tried a couple of programs from the internet that installs an icon like XP has, but it only works the first time you use it. After that it never worked again. You also can't set the folders or drives the way I like them. I prefer icons (shut up Rick), and have all of mine set to 7 icons wide. I prefer to scroll up and down, not sideways. The only good thing I see with them is if you search alphabetically, it does move the each letter keyed to the top of the window. I'll get used to it, and at least it's installed, authenticated and registered to me! I'm sure 6 months from now, that I'll like it a lot better.

Russ

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now you know as well as I do it isn't the OS that's at fault with DVD playback quality :p
    That statement about only being able to use optical/digital I don't believe is true. Just disable the respective part of the sound card you're not currently using. Only takes a few clicks.
    Active icon for network activity is a waste of time in modern times, as so many programs use network/internet it'd basically have no purpose. If you want that sort of info open the task manager and go to networking, view the graph. Does the same job but in much more detail.
    Using icons instead of List view is easy, just click the views button (left one of the three buttons beneath the search box).

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

for network monitoring, try this, it works perfectly in Win7 ~ Netmeter I've been using it since Victorian times, it even collects/displays Daily, Weekly & Monthly totals, plus it calculates Projected totals

Example pics ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I like netmeter. When I'm not running a P2P software, it totally comes in handy ;)

Thanks once again Creaky ♥

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Russ

It's always something new to Learn with these Operational Systems

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Indeed. Change always brings in the new ;) And to each his/her own. I find "7" quite useful and saves me time over XP. Things just seem smoother about it. Plus I'm a moderate gamer, so "7" was...Logical of course!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    No, I don't know that it isn't the OS fault for the crappy video quality when playing a DVD in Win7. I'm using the latest drivers for Win7, yet all of my HD content looks like crap on Win7, yet looks beautiful on XP. I'm running the same Power DVD 7 I use in XP, with the Win7 patch. I also tried it with WMP, and it's just as bad. Horrible Aliasing, with jaggles everywhere. The picture is scaled differently than it is with XP, as it doesn't cover the full width of the screen. It's almost like M$ deliberately went out of their way to try to make HD content look as bad as possible, if it's not on a BlueRay disk. Commercial DVDs look fine, and are the proper size!

As far as the sound goes, and your "I don't believe is true"??? Well here's the reality of it! It "is" true! If you plug in the Analog audio connection, only the Analog will work. it cuts off both the Coax and the Optical S/PDIF, and you can't turn it on in the control panel. If you unplug it, they both work. it will play when you plug in the Analog, only until you click OK on the little window that pops up to confirm what you are plugging in. The instant you click on it the S/PDIF sound vanishes. I can use all three with XP, and It's been plugged in like that for a couple of years. I can't even tell you why I unplugged it! Frustration I guess! I wasted a couple of hours on it, downloading and upgrading the Realtec HD audio Drivers, trying to get it to work. It also defaults to 16 bit sound, even when the S/PDIF is working. I had to set it manually to 24 bit sound, and set that as the default.

The Network activity light is a personal preference. While it may be worthless to you, I find it very useful, as an alert for potential problems.

The Icon thing is something I can't seem to find an answer to. I set the window size when I open something so I can put two windows side by side on the screen, and move things freely between them. XP window size is set so there are 7 rows of icons. I haven't found a way to accomplish that yet.

How much I will use Win7 will depend on how much of my video editing software will work in Win7. I need and use about 12 programs fairly regularly, and if they won't work, then I'll be using XP most of the time. That's the biggest reason I wanted to set up dual boot with XP to begin with! The main thing is that I have Win7 installed, authenticated and registered to my computer. XP is viable for the next 3 1/2 years, and I don't think I will be around in 2014, so Russell can worry about that when the time comes.

On the whole, Win7 has it's flaws, but it is pretty good, and runs quite slick, especially after I made my recent changes to the setup in my computer. I'll have to find where that performance test thing is and run it, to see how I'm doing.

Best Regards,
    Russ

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

russ have you tried right clicking the sound icon on the try and opening up the sound manager? Then right click the spidf and click mke default? (while all are plugged in?)

honestly if your having problems stya with xp, because then you won't get so frustrated, and tbh its not worth the hassel. Live your live in comfort. :)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Windows Media Player and PowerDVD are both very mediocre players for High-Def, WMP especially. Use any of:

Media Player Classic
    Media Player Classic HomeCinema
    Nero Showtime
    VideoLAN (VLC)
    Mplayer

I've used all of these and got decent High-Def playback.

All I can say about the analog/digital audio is that the last time I tried it, I don't remember that happening. Why would you use both at once anyway though? I don't see the point...
    If you want a network activity light, really you can just look at your network device - router, modem, switch, hub, whatever. That does the same job. Also, the old XP one was very slow to update so largely useless. The higher response times of physical LEDs is often better for judging network utilisation.

On any part of the screen, hold control and move the mousewheel. That adjusts icon sizes, in explorer windows and even on the desktop.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I use Media player classic HC, WMP 12, And arcsoft totalmedia theatre 3. Arcsofts player seems to be the best for video quality, and MPC HC for video compatibility. But I've only seen a few files that Arcsofts player didn't like.

I haven't had the troubles that russ is describing. Even DVD looks fairly agreeable, provided it isn't highly compressed. anything under 2500-3000Kb/s is gonna look nearly terrible. And I prefer HD to be upwards of 5,000Kb/s :p

18. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Creaky, Thanks, going to check out netmeter in minute.

Why don't you use it with P2P stuff, is there a conflict of some sort?

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    No worries about my getting frustrated. You have to fall down and pick ypourself up if you are ever going to learn anything. I figured some work-arounds for the nVidia control panel. I just made a shortcut of the control panel to the desktop. I'll probably have some problems with my Diskstakka, and maybe Win rar. I just work at it for 3-4 hours, and then go do something else with XP. The real issue with the video in mostly in the background. The foreground almost always looks good.

Whats getting me right now is I can't locate where I adjusted the Audio bit rate and speed. I thought it was in the Audio Manager??? I'll get there, trust me!

Russ

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

What I meant was, my P2P software has a graphic meter of bandwidth. Netmeter comes in handy when I'm not running P2P, and want to see my bandwidth useage ;) Plus Netmeter has potential that (For example) Utorrent does not ;)