1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Something I never knew about surge protectors, just like Sammy suggested, how in the hell would you know if your still getting protection without a replaceable fuse one.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's why I'm not sure if the high voltage from the feeder line caused the problem. It didn't blow the PSU, and the surge protector didn't blow. The guy from the power company said the the amount of juice that went all the way down the ground leg from the pole, was tied into the Earth ground, but it isn't near deep enough in the ground to be effective, and it's just a hollow pipe. When I used to install X-Ray equipment, the Federal requirement was a 30 foot copper rod, driven into the ground with about a foot sticking out of the ground. The problem with how the do mains here, is that there is only one line that has power, or two for 220v. The other two lines are the neutral and the ground, which are tied together. In my case, there is no way that the Earth ground could take care of that much power, so the power company guy feels that some of that power would bleed back through the neutral from the ground. I can't see any way that it could have been the case here since the PSU is OK. If what he says is true, it should have at least blown the surge protection in the PSU.

There were no strange sounds or smells. No smoke, no nothing! When I did turn it on it acted normal for about 4-5 seconds, and the power shut down. no post, no nothing. If you pull the ATX 2x4 12v plug, it will continue to let the lights and fans run, but the instant you plug it in, it powers down. I had no hint of troubles with either the voltages or heat. It ran flawlessly all night, and shut down normally when I went to sleep. When Russell goes out on a trip, I'm going to stick my CPU in his. His is a 95w motherboard, but I only want to see if the computer posts and shows the CPU. I don't think it is drawing 125w all the time, only under load. I'll let you know later. Just another Speed bump, in the road of life! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Fred,
    The good ones have an indicator light. The cheepo ones with a push button circuit breaker, are all but useless. Most are nothing more than glorified extension cords! Some are even dangerous! When I added surge protection to my 700w GameStream PSU, I incorporated a panel mount fuse holder that uses a special slow-blow 15A fuse. If you use a regular Buss fuse, it will shatter the glass. The surge protector creates a dead short on the mains, which blows the fuse. It's basically the same way GE X-Rays have been doing it for 50 years. Without the fuse, it would have to trip the circuit breaker, and that's not a good thing. Since the fuse and PSU are good, I doubt the power company's feedback theory. It powered up a neighbors Intel quad core rig with no problems.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Russ

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Sad but true...

Exactly. You don't. The ones with breakers can just be flipped back, but I see lots and lots of the cheap ones being used with the fuse blown. They work fine, just no overload protection.

Very nice. Mine looks similar to that but cost a bit more XD

Yep mine has an indicator light and a fuse panel. AFAIK Mine also uses the slow blow fuses as well. I know they're not regular Buss fuses as I had to order them from an electronics service catalog to find ones that matched the original.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I filtered it down to the lowest cost one, with 12 outlets. Thankfully the reviews were very good ;)
    I only hope the 250Gb drive I bought for an Xbox is gonna work. Reviews were saying they did it, and it works well. If that's true I shouldn't have a problem. Google and I are good friends ;)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Am now worried. My surge protector unit used to have a very dim green light underneath the power switch. It's not been illuminated for the last couple of months. Suppose I ought to go and buy another 6-way!

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

using a surge protector has never crossed my mind till now :S

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I generally don't worry with good PSU's. But there are multiple devices hooked to my strips ;)

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Good info here, stuff I never knew about, Russ what do you think about the one Omeg just bought, if you think that's a good one let me know cause I'll order the sucker, after what you guys told us I'm now sure I'm using the crappy one's.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  11. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

hmm, I should probably look into a UPS, all the ones I have now were free so I doubt they're any good lol.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    A surge protector doesn't stop any current from flowing, it's a dead short to the neutral when blown. It's an open circuit until it's blown. It's like a big diode, in that it only passes current one way That's why the need for a fuse. No rocket science here, I installed mine the same way as General Electric does on the xrays. The fuseholder goes between the neutral leg and one side of the surge protector. The big knock on the OCZ Gamestar 700w PSU I bought from Oman7, was no surge protection. It cost me $34 for the parts and about 10 minutes to install it.

Best Regards,
    Russ

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My mom would probably buy that one up. She loves those backup systems. It's not uncommon for this area to have brownouts and blackouts ;)

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

VLC (on all my machines) has gone downhill the last few releases, pausing/stuttering, maybe that's why there's been quite a few updates in short succession. Am not impressed at all, am losing interest ib VLC fast. 0.86h on linux is still fine though, i suppose i could reinstall the last known decent version on my windows machines (1.05 i think was the last one that worked fine for me). No biggie, i also use Media Player Classic via K-Lite Mega pack (no problems there, but there never are).

As to UPSes, i've always used one, i have a 1500VA unit protecting the bulk of my kit. Everything else around the house lives on surge protectors

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

VLC has always been problematic for me, is why I use MPC home cinema.

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I've had no problems with VLC..The newer one now supports MKVs & HD at a much smother play back
    Can't understand the problems you guys R havin with it

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'm having problems with the last few versions across loads of machines. When stuff like happens i usually get the hint and give it up as a bad job. Or i'll just put version 1.05 back onto the machines.

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I never had any problems with it. In fact, I'll praise how well it works. But the image quality simply sucks, especially for HD. Doesn't even remotely compare to Media Player Classic. Playing the movies at a 1:1 ratio as well BTW. Not upscaled for a bigger screen and not downscaled for a smaller screen.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Creaky,
    Now it's directing all posts for this thread to the Afterdawn Home page. I have to go back a few days, so I can get the thread to open on page 84.

Russ