1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I asked this. Apparently the E4300 was a Conroe, just shortened a bit. The Allendale was supposedly only the E2000 series.

Remember when I compare the X6 to the i7 I'm talking about new systems, not just you. It's general perspective here!

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Yes, but did it come with the optional rotisserie? :) HP made a model that could be used as a desktop or a tower. When you used it as a tower, they would run hot and often burn out. The only fan was the PSU, and it was on the bottom! I guess their Engineers weren't smart enough to know that heat rises! Must have been from Australia, and were too busy watching the toilet water spinning backwards to notice that heat rises in Australia too! Dell made a few like that too, but at least the PSU was on the top! The Optiplex GX150 I'm using right now, was prone to the CPU fan circuit burning out, and the on board sound and video dying. These were part of the Optiplexes that Dell is being sued for. It's a genuine POS!

Russ

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    No, it was an Allendale, based on the Mermon core!
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core 2 Duo E4300 HH80557PG0332M (BX80557E4300).html

I know you are talking about new systems, but for me or anybody else with an AM3 ready motherboard that can handle 125w, Thuban's are a $300 drop in! We aren't just a new build thread as we do discuss all sorts of upgrades here.

Best Regards,
    Russ

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

CPU World say Allendale, Intel say Conroe, I'm inclined to believe the manufacturer of the chip :p

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    That's the thing, Intel doesn't say anything at all! I went into their Archives, and there is no mention at all of either conroe or Allendale But I think I have sorted it out. The Allendale is a Conroe core, with only 2MB of the 4MB L2 cache activated. It has no Turbo boost technology, Hyper-threading, Virtualization, Trusted Execution Technology, AES New Instructions, or Demand Based Switching.

I think the confusion came about because of their original Code Names, Conroe and Merom. Conroe stuck, Merom did not. The only true Allendale to be produced was the early E4300 SL9TB, because it was a modified Conroe. The L2, stepping SL9TB had 4MB of physidal L2 cache, but 2MB of it was disabled. Mine was one of the original L2 stepping models which was reported in the bios as a Merom. CPUz, Everest and several other programs reported it as a Merom. The M0 stepping SLA99 came along, when it was no longer practical to keep wasting the disabled 2MB of L2 cache. Wafer yields had improved to the point, that the E4300 became a part of the E6300 production run, since only 2MB of physical L2 cache was used for both. the E4300 was essentially the E6300 with an 800MHz FSB and a different fixed multiplier and no virtualization or Hyper-threading. The later version was built on the same production line as the E4500 and E4400. The only difference was the locked multiplier I guess you could say that we are both right. It's very interesting that there is no Intel Processor Finder for the E4300, only the Archive files, which don't say anything about the cores at all. There used to be something in the Intel Processor finder, and it did say Allendale! I have a picture of it in Image Shack somewhere, but I'm not going to try and look through thousands of pics to find it. I'm not going to hunt for it on AD either, although I know it was there as I posted it in answer to the same question, more than 3 years ago. I guess with the debate about the cores that was going on at the time, Intel probably figured the debate was good free publicity and removed it. There was actually a pretty lively discussion about what cores the E4300 did use, at the time of it's introduction. A lot of those links are still there, but dead!

I managed to overclock mine 86% to right at 3.348GHz. I was running at 3.420GHz for a short period, and it would pass hours of stress testing, but would crash running DVDRB/CCE, and it wouldn't complete the work units folding! I was also able to activate the additional L2 cache, but it wasn't stable and caused problems at any speed.

Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think the E4300 did have virtualisation, but remember Russ, none of the Core 2s ever had hyper-threading, they only revived that with the i7s.
    The new CPU finder in my opinion is crap. The old one was easy to read, and it included the core names!

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sam,
    None of the E4*** series had Virtualization.
    http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyID=26547
    I agree 100% about the new CPU finder, it stinks! My mistake on the hyper-threading. I just copied the technologies that Intel listed as not included with the E4300.

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My mistake. I never used virtualisation back then so it's not something I researched. I just knew the Pentium Dual Core E5 series didn't have it.

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Re blocking the adverts, peerblock isn't necessary for this, just Flashblock as posted above, though i use AdBlock Plus too, i mass-block many ads/popups on many sites, surfing is back how it used to be before our webpages were overrun with unwanted popups/info/adverts.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I just use Adblock for chrome. Installed it and off it went. Simple as.

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I don't like being spied on. Peerblock is a one step solution :p For those that use it, they know what I mean. It blocks an alarmingly large number of sites. Granted not all of them are bad...
    Spys on the net, are no different then somebody listening in to my phone calls. Pretty sick!

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Meh, conspiracy theorists.
    With a firewall in place, it's mind over matter. Either obsess about security with unnecessary bloatware, or just don't worry about what isn't likely to hurt you :p

13. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Sammy which firewall do you use?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Only the one built into my router.

15. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

SPI for the win!

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I don't use peerblock much. I do have a software firewall installed(Comodo) but I don't have much confidence in either that or my router. The companies Peerblock does block are mostly Chinese and Government so I figure the ones that are really spying on me won't be affected by something as petty as an IP blocker.

Yeah it IS a conspiracy and we ARE being spied on 24/7. It just doesn't matter what we do about it because they're gonna spy anyway. If you don't think we're being spied on you are naive. World governments operate almost solely by spying and secret intelligence. It's not a crazy theory, it's the way the world works.

17. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Every software firewall I've ever used caused more problems than it ever helped with. I only use them when I'm on networks I'd rather not be on. One of these days I'll cough up the cash for a nice firewall/router, but that isn't likely to happen for while.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You know...I'm great with figuring out GUI's, building computers, and what not, but when it comes to networking, firewalls, scripting, it's like my confidence goes out the window. Which isn't good. Confidence is extremely powerful. More so than most people realize. But I just can't seem to help myself :p I guess I'd be grateful to know what the theoretical best firewall is, but I wouldn't know what to do with it :S

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Why do you think I refuse to buy into all this "Social Network" Crap? Every word you write is saved and cataloged. emails, Text messages, Twitter, Facebook, Stumble, you name it. They are all being monitored. Google your own web site name sometime, and you will be shocked what you might find. Every page you are on, just on AD usually will show up! It all depends on what it is related to. I googled "Estuansis", and got over 1700 hits! Not all you but there a lot there that are you, in fact I just learned your last name! LOL!!

I know that I am on their "keep an eye on" list, for sure. I witnessed TWA Flight 800, on July 17 1996 get hit by some sort of rocket or missile. I've seen pictures that the public will probably never see, and I can tell you that there is a huge hole in the fuselage, going in one side and out the other, that's is exactly where I said it hit! I gave a deposition to that effect! That makes me a bad guy! Someone to be watched!

In the US these days, when someone can take you into custody at gunpoint, with no reason other than you are being held under the Patriot Act, as a matter of National Security. You have no rights for anything! Some people have been held for years, without ever seeing a Lawyer, Judge, or even knowing what the charges were. Not even your Family knows where you are! You just vanish, and you have no rights!

Think about that the next time you Twitter,
    Russ

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

My point made abundantly clear and that MySpace page has been deleted. Made that a long time ago trying to keep in contact with friends. Turns out a simple FaceBook profile is all I need :p

Thanks for the heads up Russ LOL. And just for the record my last name isn't exactly confidential knowledge. I am a law-abiding American and I have the capability to protect myself and my home. Jeffery Richard Jelinski. Proud Polish-American.

But no I am not being swallowed up by all the social networking. I do like to keep in contact with a few friends but all of this MyFace and SpaceBook, and MyYearBook and other nonsense is a waste of time for me.

About your points on "national Security". You are entirely right. Too many people have unwavering faith in the infallibility of their government. So much so that when things do happen it couldn't have possibly been the government. And if you say anything you're officially crazy ;P

If you want a good idea of what might be going on under wraps, there is a free film called Zeitgeist circulating on the web. I chalk it off as a very clever example of how propaganda works, but it does raise hundreds of questions that simply haven't been answered.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I do have the firm belief that to accept the facts as the media/government presents them to you is extremely ignorant and naive. A few of my beliefs:

- We HAVE had contact with alien life
    - 9/11 wasn't as simple as it seemed
    - Religion is a political tool

Many might write me off as crazy. You know what? Screw all you doubters. I came up with these beliefs from facts and simple logical reasoning.

Enough hijacking now, back to computers before the mods have words with us. If you'd care to discuss further I would like to take this to PMs :p

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010