1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New AMD Building Thread

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by theonejrs, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well The 965BE back up and running now and this is where she's staying at and stable for me until.I move her out my CM 690II case into a different case and Sell it. I only wanted to do one AMD build to see how and learn how to work MIT screen and just to fool around in the bios screen this maybe my last for me unless a customer once one for a budget build...I'll be doin a I7,1156 socket build nexts year starting at the beginning of the year for sure once.I catch up on some bills.Lol...Thanks Russ for all your help in this AMD factory of showing me how The Dark Side works on Amd and all the tricks and voltage adjustments and things that you gotta do it's been a Big Help!

[​IMG]

PS.I Like My New Background Now.Lol

All my LinX 10 Pass,& Sandra Mips

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
  2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    Happy to have been able to help my friend. It's been an interesting experience for me to, in spite of all the problems I've experienced with chipsets and sound chips. I'm also very impressed with the performance of the socket AM2 Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz single core that's running in mine right now, as I had the chance to compare it directly to an Intel P4 3.6GHz, and in spite of far less L2 cache, the 3800+ wins hands down! I'll probably never get to experience a socket 939, but I'm told they perform even better than the socket AM2 does, but I'm still impressed, none the less. I'll be pulling the motherboard in a couple of days and will send it off on Monday. Gigabyte is going to set it up with a Phenom IIx4 955BE and test it before it's shipped to me, so chances are this one will be the charm.

As for builds, I'm pretty pleased with what I have for now, and I haven't sold an Intel all year, so it looks like all AMD builds for now. There's still one more upgrade path available with the 6 core, so that will be my next move. No sense my waiting for Bulldozer, because of the need for a new MB, DDR3 and the CPU. I'm happy with it's performance, and while in benchmarks it may not be as good as an i7, it's a lot closer than the benchmarks would indicate. For me and for my purposes, it's a pretty ideal computer!

Best Regards,
    Russ

3. 23380

23380 Member

Hey, you know whats even faster than that? the new AMD Bulldozer and Bobcat. IM SO PUMPED! CAN'T WAIT FOR THEM TO COME OUT! I think they're meant for AM2 as well, and that dude that said core i7 is awesome, ummm (cough cough) No, get out. AMD rules, and is economical and has a better foundation! I would choose AMD everyday of my life if I had the chance! Never Intel! And I'm also a Compaq fan! I hate Dell. Dell+Intel= tragedy!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, Bulldozer uses a new socket, which is LGA-based. It will not be compatible with any existing AM2/AM3 boards.

AMD CPUs being more economical is a laugh. The one thing AMD have as an advantage is value. AMD CPUs are cheap. Apart from that, Intel hold all the other advantages, their CPUs are much faster [for now], and a lot more efficient.
    A 95W Core i5 760 is almost 15% faster than a 125W Phenom II X4 965, it's just $45 more.
    Sandy Bridge CPUs will massively outstrip AMD's current offerings, the unknown is how Bulldozer will fit into this.

The Compaq vs Dell argument is completely baseless.

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I have the firm belief that AMD truly have an ace up their sleeve with Bulldozer.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They have a lot to live up to.
    They have to match:

For $320, a CPU 50% (60%+ in the right circumstances) faster than an X4 965, that can overclock 35%, and run on 95W.
    For $220, a CPU 45% faster than an X4 965, that can overclock 40% and run on 95W.
    For $220, a CPU 20% faster than an X4 965 that runs on 65W.
    For $220, a CPU equal to an X4 965 that runs on 45W.

It's of course worth noting that the 65 and 45W CPUs here can't overclock, but arguably as soon as you overclock you lose those low TDPs anyway.
    It's also worth noting that the cheapest Sandy Bridge quad core is a relatively steep $180.
    For this $180 you get a CPU 25% faster than an X4 965 on 95W, though it can't overclock.

7. NobOddX

NobOddX Member

i got a nice AMD computer ohh not really i still have the gfx to swap away to a AMD 6870 gfxcard and its running along with me inside its a real powermachine readers ask for a ssd drive too my sons computer boots up in notime so im not careful and i dont like to lie but i left intel years ago and have never regretted that swap of junky cancerious device LOL

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I just installed a Phenom IIx6 1090T in my AMD, replacing a Phenom II 955 BE C/3 stepping. Currently running at 3.9GHz at a max of 1.408v. Love it! It's my 4th CPU in this build. i went from an AthlonII x2 6750 Dual Core, then an athlon IIx4 630, the cheap Quad. I bought the 955 back in June, and just installed the 1090T BE yesterday! I love my AMD!

Welcome to AD,
    Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't really think 'junky cancerous device' is a fair way to describe Intel products. AMD CPUs are fine enough, and say what you like about Intel's marketing practices, but their actual products are exemplary, and have been for almost 5 years. I prefer AMD as a company, but there's no denying Intel's CPUs are very good, I don't think they really deserve any posts like that one, even in a thread belonging to the opposition.

10. NobOddX

NobOddX Member

Thanks for the welcome i truly still loves my amd i got an internal radeon3300 and its an ati but now AMD the computer i just ordered 2 samsung 27" monitors i think ill get them on friday so its going to be a party here this weekend im spended alot on this computer but like me im an enthusiasth in computers especially AMD based i reached 6.9 in the win7 performanceindex i shall return the welcome you too

NobOddX

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here's the benchmarks for my new 6 core. I'm a pretty happy camper!

Processor Arithnetic

[​IMG]

Memory Bandwidth

[​IMG]

Multi-Media

[​IMG]

CPUz

[​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with the results of my overclock! I had it to 4.1GHz, but I had to bring the CPU voltage up to 1.425v, and I don't want to go over maximum voltage. It will run stable at 4.0GHz at the same 1.392v, but 3.9GHz is fine by me. I want to leave a little room as always. Now I have to fix my sig! LOL!!

Edit: Sig fixed. Sure looks pretty!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Kudos russ! Wish I had one. Perhaps one day.

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'd say crank it to 4Ghz and leave it. My friend just upped the multi and the CPU voltage and left everything else alone and it runs silly stable. Also using a CoolIt Eco with dual fans.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,

You could say the same thing at 4.1GHz @1.425v, and make a case for it. All it tales is a little more voltage! LOL!! So many times when I've had a computer running so close to the edge, where a few months later I've had to go and reduce the OC by 100MHz! I just don't like sitting on the edge of a cliff with my legs dangling out in space. I like a little breathing room where one can stand up with his feet on solid ground! ROFL!! You already know you are getting close to the limits anyway, so the performance loss is very slight, because you are at the point of diminishing returns, so to speak! You reach a point where the percentage of improvement starts to slack off I'm more than happy with it the way it is! I've got outstanding temps,nominal voltages and it runs great. It's 50% faster than the 955 was, so I'll be happy with what I have!

Russ

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I don't see a reason not to turn it up to at least 4GHz. Now 4.1GHz with a voltage increase I can definitely see your argument, but if it can do 4 at the same voltage as 3.9...

I know the percentage difference is very small, but it sounds like you do some time intensive things, so every little bit counts. All I'm really saying, is don't write it off just yet. You have overkill cooling to support it, and it doesn't require anything extra. And it's hardly near the edge of the chip if 4.1 can be gotten stable as well. I suppose in the end it needs to suit your purposes, not mine. So I can only offer an opinion.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    If you take a look at bigwill68's posting on the same page. He started out at 4.1 stable a few months back. Look at the speed of his last post here, and he's at 3.88GHz. I'm pretty sure he didn't plan it that way! There's no way you give up 300MHz if you don't have to. After thinking about that, I backed mine down to 3.917GHz, and tuned it for the best performance at 3.9GHz. All my software runs perfectly, with no crashes out of DCDRB/CCE and it completes the Work Units folding! Stressing all 6 cores at 100%, the CPU temp never gets to over 47C, and encoding it doesn't break 40C. I know I've bought a well binned CPU because of how easy it was to get to 4.0 on a DDR2 socket AM2+ motherboard, so why play with it and maybe mess something up. I plan to eventually put the x6 in a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 socket AM3 motherboard with Cas 7 1333MHz DDR3 memory, which will unlock all the features of the AM3 CPU, and 4.1-4.2GHz should be easy! I'm looking at less than another $200 to come away with a machine delivering right around 100,000 MIPS, with about a 9500+MB/s memory bandwidth, and a HyperTransport of 5200MT/s. Hell, it does 4800MT/s now on AM2+/DDR2! I can wait a few months to come up with $200 to get the right parts to make it really Fly!

Best Regards,
    Russ

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Personally have never had that issue. My 940 ran at its max stable speed for a little under 2 years, without much of an argument. Also, my Q6600 has been doing 3.7GHz for a little over 2 years, and still runs as stable and cool as the day I built it.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,

Like I said, I've got a very good overclocking CPU, but I'll wait for a Socket AM3 board and DDR3 memorry to see just how much I can get out of it!

Russ

19. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

In that case I would definitely recommend DDR3-1600 because it's only slightly more expensive and has the same latencies.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,

There's nothing there in Cas 7 that's not designed for Sandy bridge. They also don't list any AMD motherboards on the approved list for the 1600 Cas 7, only cas 9. Everything listed is for Intel! This would be my choice for Ram then.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276

It's on the approved motherboard list from GSkill, so 1333 will do just fine!

I did some more testing late last night. The 1090T BE is a little better than 50% faster than the 955BE in raw performance with both overclocked the same. In the real world, it's about 35% faster. A video file that used to take 28:43 took me 21:04 to process with DVDRB/CCE. 2 pass. I guess the upgrade from the 955BE is worth it then!

Between Russell with the new MB in Oxi, and my 1090T, I don't know who is smiling more! When I went looking for the Logo Screen for Kevin last night, I hadn't realized that I never finished the setup on the new motherboard. I got those settings all straightened out, and it runs even better!

Russ